Seattle Area Teachers

January 19, 2004 at 04:19 AM · I will be moving to Seattle this summer and wanted to get a head start on finding a good teacher violin in the Seattle/Rainier area. I will be a junior in high school next year. Thanks in advance for your help.

Replies (10)

January 19, 2004 at 05:18 PM · maybe your teacher right now could recommend one???.....

January 20, 2004 at 06:56 PM · I'm sure that there are many good people in that area. One person I know of is Maria Sampen. She's really nice and a very good player. She teaches at the Univ. of Puget Sound in Tacoma. I don't know where she lives but it's worth finding out if she's taking new students.

If you do contact her, send her my regards.

Good luck!

November 6, 2004 at 11:53 PM · Ok, I'm new to this site, and this is probably coming way to late, but I studied with Svend Ronning in high school in VA before he moved out to Seattle. He's a FABULOUS teacher and really interested in younger dedicated violinists. His teaching was so valuable to me and I would HIGHLY recommend trying him out even if you have found a teacher. He's a great resource.

November 7, 2004 at 06:43 PM · I currently live in the seattle area, I've been to a masterclass with svend and also participate in a several things that the works with such as the Tacoma Youth Symphony (way better than seattle, do it if you can) and then a Chamber Group. He's great. Also, About twenty.thirty minutes form seattle is my teacher, Rhonda Marsh, her lessons are cheap and she's absolutely fantastic. Her students are quite literally the best in the state. She has a waiting list right now, but she's so great. If you call the University of Puget Sound, she works through them and so do other good teachers.

November 7, 2004 at 06:59 PM · Juan - I live in the Seattle area, and have met a number of teachers through the last few years. Where in the Seattle area will you be living? What "kind" of teacher are you looking for? (Suzuki, etc.?)

November 11, 2004 at 01:37 AM · I'm quite active in the music community here in Seattle, and easily, without a doubt, the best violin teachers are Margaret Pressley and Kent Coleman. Their students are absolutely unbelievable (7th grader playing Tzigane!) ... win all the competitions... sit always in the front of the youth orchestras... etc etc. They are a little bit expensive though... Margaret Pressley however runs a starling scholar program where she'll give you conservatory education and lessons free of charge (but you have to be really REALLY REALLY good). Anyways. Those are THE two. Good luck!

I take with Debra Zadinsky, and I live on the east side of Seattle (Issaquah) and she's a very good teacher as well.

- Wenhao Sun

November 11, 2004 at 05:17 AM · Ron Patterson (from the UW Music Department) is wonderful, as well, and Linda Kang (formerly Linda Anderson). Both come VERY highly recommended!

November 12, 2004 at 11:50 AM · Margaret and Ron are wonderful indeed. I studied with Ilkka Talvi and his wife Marjorie Talvi - Kransberg. Margie is great for technical stuf, Ilkka can give you a real view on a piece. I love them dearly! Good luck on finding somebody. Also, there is somebody in Bellingham University, a friend of Updegraff, Walter... He is supposedly really wonderful too, but it is quite a ride, although what I hear, it is worth it!

November 13, 2004 at 01:26 AM · Svend Ronning was my ajudicator for Solo & Ensemble this past year. (I live about an hour and a half north of Seattle) He seems like a very good resource and helped me a lot in a short amount of time. Currently I study with Walter Schwede. He's a professor at Western Washington University. (Carla, I believe you referred to him) I know many people who travel from Seattle to study with him. (Obviously he's an excellent teacher) The girl who won First Prize at the State Solo & Ensemble contest was his student.(She graduated last year) Now she's on a full-ride scholarship at the University of Texas. Also, at the regional level for Solo & Ensemble, all three people who placed for the state contest in the solo violin category were his students. (Including me!) He's fantastic, and is well aquainted with Updegraff, Paul Rosenhal, Hal Grossman, David Taylor, etc. He also studied with Bronstein, Galamian and others. He's quite a character, and it would be well worth the commute.

I hope I'm not too late! But, if you'd like to send a comment or question to me, feel free.

December 12, 2004 at 04:00 PM · Walter Schwede is indeed the person I was referring to. I met him during the Asta Competition in Washington, very nice person!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe