Dull Sounding G String

January 20, 2004 at 06:52 AM · The G string on my violin sounds dull almost a blunt sound. The open G sounds okay but once I play a note the blunt/dull sound starts. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Replies (3)

January 20, 2004 at 08:40 AM · Buy some Heifetz DVD's and get some inspiration from them. Then the dullness will go away...

January 20, 2004 at 04:51 PM · try different strings.... evah pirazzi has a very nice G String

January 21, 2004 at 01:30 AM · Greetings,

probably, as Geoff says, the first step is to consider what stirngs you are using,

The pirazzi shuld bring out the brilliance of the violin. I have done a couple of recitlas on them and although although I wa simpresssed at the time after watching video play back I started to find them too brilliant and metallic for my taste so I went back to my real love which is the Olive g plus two good gut strings. this also puts less strain on the fingertips.

Yu might alos consider the rosin you are using. In the last few years I have use dtwo types: Bernadel and Guillaume. the Bernadel is smooth and elegant and the latte ris brighter,?@and seems to make things resonate a little better so I am staying with it. but notice that Dominant has just produce a rosin for synthetic strings so someone out there must belive that you need to give a lot of thought to this issue....

There is a technical point you might consider. The G string is somewhat harder to get vibrating and this is connected to left hand finger action. You may need to speed up the movement of your fingers (without changing the rythm of course). It is always useful to practice exercises in which finger speed is varied. you can find alot in the book `Basics` by Fischer,

The last step is to go to a good luthier and get the soundpost and bridge checked,

Cheers,

Buri

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe