Violins

January 13, 2004 at 12:50 AM · I was just wondering what violins do u guys and girl play on?

Replies (50)

January 13, 2004 at 01:33 AM · Modern Italian (2002)

January 13, 2004 at 02:13 AM · This evening I was playing a quite nice Luigi Fabris. I have to ship it off tomorrow, unfortunately. These pesky customers taking away my nice fiddles.

Normally I play a compact and quite capable red maple and red spruce violin after Postiglione. See www.geocities.com/giannaviolins/2003-3.html

January 13, 2004 at 02:16 AM · My violin is a French 1905 Jean Baptiste COLIN. It's been in the family for a very long time.

Lauren

January 13, 2004 at 02:47 AM · Vincenzo Postiglione Naples, 1910

I just played on a Gofriller lately and it is absolute heaven!

January 13, 2004 at 03:00 AM · Rudolph Doetsch I bought 3rd or 4th hand from Steve Perry.

Elaine Dowling

Norman, OK

January 13, 2004 at 05:11 AM · guys and girl? there's only one? oh dear :)

1888 chipot-vuillaumne made in paris.

January 13, 2004 at 07:55 AM · This guy plays on an unknown Chech copy of a Rocca violin, apaprently dating around early 1000. Love it! Better than some old Italians I've tried.

January 13, 2004 at 08:13 AM · I have those violins:

Jacobus Stainer in Absam

Prope Oenipontum 1665

(Jindrich Stumpf fecit Lovocice Anno 1926)

Joseph Guarnerius fecit Cremonæ 1714 HIS

Neuner und Hornsteiner

Mittenwald (Baiern) 1882 NH

Petr

January 13, 2004 at 08:31 AM · Igor, that's a pretty old violin...!

I play a 1927 French Violin.

Carl.

January 13, 2004 at 07:36 PM · i'm jealous petr.

January 13, 2004 at 08:50 PM · Let me go waaaay out on a limb here....

I play a 1986 Helmuth Knilling and I'm proud of it!

It really works quite well...

January 13, 2004 at 10:15 PM · Wow, mine is such a youngster, made in 1999 by American David Scroggin. Sweet voice.

January 14, 2004 at 04:51 AM · Bought a decent German copy of a Maggini... not the best, and I had the privilege of playing on a /real/ Maggini for All-State auditions last spring... *tear* That's why I bought the copy - it was the closest I could get without having to sell my soul to the devil or something. If I make it into the music school at BYU I might reward myself in a few years with a better instrument if I can afford it (ha ha ha)

January 14, 2004 at 12:58 PM · Hilary Hahne, your email bounces, I was wondering if you had any soundclips available of your Postiglione. I'm making a model inspired by images of Postiglione's work, but I've never heard one!

Steve

January 15, 2004 at 09:47 AM · A partial listing includes:

1)Fagnola shop instrument (made by Angelo Fasciolo, circa 1910).

2)Charles Adolphe Maucotel,1852.

3)Louis Otto,1886.

4)Georges Apparut,1927.

5)Domenico Tomassini,1921.

If anyone else has fiddles by these makers, I'd like to trade notes.

January 15, 2004 at 01:59 PM · copy of jacab steiner's 1965 in 1920

January 15, 2004 at 06:33 PM · i really shouldnt even be in this thread, but i play a piece of crap violin that was 76 bucks with a bow and a case. got a different bow for 50 bucks.

So yeah, its wide open to be made fun of.

January 15, 2004 at 06:59 PM · Gosh, all these expensive instruments are reminding me of how ashamed I used to be of my cheapo violin when I was a kid. My family didn't have much money so I had to make do. But I played. I think one of my first instruments actually had a barbie doll arm sticking out of the peg box. Why? No idea. It must have been holding a peg in or something. It sure looked funny.

Yeah, it'd be great to have a Vuillaume or a Peresson or Pressenda or who knows...

Heck. I play a gliga. But the thing is I play.

January 16, 2004 at 02:34 AM · A modern Italian copy of a Scarampella, and a copy of a Strad. Before that, I played on a copy of a Guarneri Del Gesu. A lot of copies, huh? Btw, what do you all think of Gregg Alf and Joseph Curtin violins?

January 16, 2004 at 03:27 AM · Aw, don't provoke making fun of your violin, Johnmark Hatfield. Haven't you heard those stories about people selling "crappy" violins for $50 dollars or less and they turned out to be long lost Strads? XD

January 17, 2004 at 01:55 AM · I play an 1937 A.C. Zimmer. It was made in Oregon, it has a square scroll and a really neato full-piece back made from curly Maple. THe scroll took off a couple thousand when appraised, they said that if it was the traditional, then it would be worth a lot more. erg

January 17, 2004 at 01:59 AM · Guaneri Del Gesu 1734 (temp loan)

Antoni Stradivari 1723 "Da Russo"

January 17, 2004 at 08:01 AM · I'm very jealous Chris!!!

Carl.

January 17, 2004 at 02:37 PM · 2002 cremona violin made by pascal Hornung, a copy of the strad "Lady Blunt"

January 17, 2004 at 08:07 PM · damn you chris!

when did you get that guarneri?

January 17, 2004 at 10:03 PM · lol guys! Don't be jealous. The guaneri is sadly only a temporary loan from an anonymous patron for 3 years

:(. But I'll always have my strad :D.

January 17, 2004 at 11:06 PM · i play a $600 dollar copy of a strad, go me

January 17, 2004 at 11:11 PM · I play a 1900 Ch. J.B. Collin Mezin. I love her to death. Made in Paris, bought by my teacher for me in Laussane, Switzerland.

January 18, 2004 at 12:46 AM · Right now I am looking for an upgrade. But, the good thing about looking for a new violin is you get to play stuff way out of your $ range. So when i was at All-State I got to play Pablo de Sarasate's $775,000 Guadingnini (I have no clue how to spell the maker's name! LOL. Someone correct me).

It totally took hold of me! I played the Wieniawski Romance and I about died because I couldn't have it.

January 18, 2004 at 07:47 AM · What in the world, how do you have a Strad?

January 18, 2004 at 07:55 PM · i think its guadagnini

January 18, 2004 at 07:57 PM · chris, not that you can make real accurate generalizations about makers, but how do they compare?

January 18, 2004 at 09:00 PM · Um well visually the guaneri and strad are totally different. The guaneri is somewaht larger, bulkier, and it has a darker varnish hue. It also seems less perfect in shape than the Strad.The Strad has this beautiful Gold-Redish varnish and it's dimensions seem to be better calculate and more clean than the guaneri. In terms of tone, the Strad has a much sweeter quality and purer tone than the guaneri, which has a darker, richer sound. It's so great to have them both to switch off and play on and play pieces on both of them it sounds so different, like two different pieces. I wish I could always keep the guaneri, but I'll just have to treasure the time I have with it :D. As far as preference, I love them both!!! hehe.

January 19, 2004 at 07:27 AM · 1928 Ernst Heinrich Roth, made by him (not someone else in his shop). I like it quite a bit!

January 19, 2004 at 06:56 PM · I have a 1753 guarneri, I've finally got an instrument I want, well somewhat.... I've always wanted a Guarneri.

January 19, 2004 at 08:25 PM · Vernon - which member of the Guarneri family? Del Gesu died in 1744.

Carl.

January 20, 2004 at 12:59 AM · sorry not guaneri, I meant I have guadagnini, I was saying I wanted a guaneri.

January 20, 2004 at 09:00 PM · I have a 1929 Rosia, from France. Never found any info about the maker yet, though.

When I got it I payed about 2500$ (5000 DM). I believe that's cheaper than it used to be at some time, because it has some cracks at the front (right of the fingerboard), although those were well glued it of course diminishes the overall worth, as those cracks are of course clearly visible.

January 20, 2004 at 09:17 PM · So my main instrument was made by Johan Georg Thir, from Vienna, made in 1776 - which was only a couple of years before he died. The label reads "Johannes Georgius Thir fecit Viennae 1776". The Thir's were a quite well-nown family of makers in Austra - Matthias Thir is I think J.G.'s brother. There was an interesting article about a better-known maker who was JG Thir's pupil and who probaby contributed to my violin since JG was rather ill in his last couple of year's of life. Unfortunately I can't remember his name, but the article was about a year ago in the Strad. I think my violin is interesting because it must be one of the last to be made in the old Stainer pattern with high arching, rather than the much flatter & more powerful Strad pattern - it has a beautiful silvery tone but lacks projection - which doesn’t bother me particularly since I don't need to project above an orchestra (!) - and it is beautiful for chamber music. It's had a good few dings in its life, at the bottom of the back right on the purfling where the two halves join there is a small repair - also in a couple of areas the purfling has been repaired; the corners have been smoothed somewhat away, but otherwise it is perfectly sound with no cracks of any sort and no wormholes. The varnish is a golden-brown and has collected deeply where the arching forms hollows; it is a bit worn towards the top of the belly on the right-hand side. The scroll has been grafted, as you would expect.

Photos can be found on:

http://www.physics.ox.ac.uk/users/foster/Public/Violin/

I paid £7000 for it 2 years ago.

January 20, 2004 at 11:04 PM · Laurie, do you like your Scroggins violin? He is a local luthier here (I believe because the name of the shop is called, "Scroggins and Scroggins violin shop." Anyway, I have never played his violins, but I have heard great things about it. I am seriously considering getting a custom made one from him in a couple of years. Let me know how you like it!

Patricia

January 21, 2004 at 02:33 AM · vernon,

a guadagnini is a very fine instrument, did you buy that?

January 21, 2004 at 03:27 AM · My parents put a down payment on the thing like two years ago, and they're still paying. When I get a job I have to start putting payments in on it too.

January 21, 2004 at 03:56 AM · which guadagnini would that be? i think there's five of them...

January 21, 2004 at 07:32 AM · I love it, Patricia. I do think mine is a one-of-a-kind; he put all kinds of funny things in the varnish like amber and quartz crystals. But the sound is just beautiful and I'm so happy to have it. If you ever go to see him give him my regards, though he may not know who I am! I got the violin through Rick Molzer of Denver.

January 22, 2004 at 03:46 AM · I'm pretty sure there are more than five... and mine was one of the cheaper ones. coming in at about 80 grand.

January 22, 2004 at 04:40 AM · do you know his first name? and you're very lucky to have a fine instrument like that, thats ten times what mine cost :(

January 22, 2004 at 04:55 AM · I used to have a Mezin, but now I have a chinese strad copy... (much better than the Mezin though... shh!)

For any one interested cozio has about 350 instruments listed for Giovanni Battista Guadagnini, 22 for Lorenzo, 20 for Giuseppe, and 5 for Gaetano.

Chris, I don't know you, but you suck.

January 22, 2004 at 06:52 PM · Owen, It has Giovanni Battista labeled on it.

January 22, 2004 at 07:08 PM · We didn't buy it because of the name, we bought it completely because it sounded great. I had a Juzek back then, and we went into the shop to get something repaired, and I saw this violin. I had to play it, I played the first few lines of the bruch (my favorite concerto) and I knew I had to have it, we came back about three weeks later and set a payment plan down.

January 22, 2004 at 07:20 PM · ah i'm jealous, maybe one day i'll get a violin like that. you too chris.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe