Cellist kicked off of flight because his instrument was a safety risk

April 7, 2017 at 12:17 AM · http://wjla.com/news/local/musician-forced-off-flight-due-to-risk-from-his-cello

Replies (23)

April 7, 2017 at 04:57 AM · This is ridiculous.

April 7, 2017 at 08:53 AM · Flying isn't what it used to be anymore.

April 7, 2017 at 10:02 AM · I am afraid to fly. I would have to be knocked out and comatose to be placed on a plane, sort of like what The A Team used to do to Mr.T when they had to fly someplace.

April 7, 2017 at 02:05 PM · Explosive rosin, suffocating strings, deadly-sharp endings and pointy pegs and fine-tuning gears...

String players are so much a threat, no wonder we have our own little world exclusive to us (not that I mind). :)

We should also have our own planes, painted to look like a violin, with room for the biggest double-bass above every passenger's head (since we would sooner drop everything BUT pur instrument). :D

April 7, 2017 at 02:26 PM · "Explosive rosin, suffocating strings, deadly-sharp endings and pointy pegs and fine-tuning gears..."

/. .\

What--nothing about the MUSIC?!?

April 7, 2017 at 02:57 PM · Apparently this cellist selected a bulkhead seat, and no objects can touch the floor near the bulkhead. It's like insisting on having the right to block a fire exit. Had he selected any other seat (other than an exit row seat), he wouldn't have gotten so much press.

April 7, 2017 at 03:12 PM · Just like how we're no allowed to bring ivory tipped bows

April 7, 2017 at 04:02 PM · the issue here was that the case was not strapped in, so it was actually a safety risk - in turbulence it could turn into a very expensive projectile. Usually cellists arrange to get a seatbelt extender so they can strap it in - not sure why this didn't happen.

That said, AA has been my worst experiences flying with an instrument, although I've always managed to get it onboard.

April 7, 2017 at 05:00 PM · Oh dear.... imagine what wold happen to a viola player?!

April 7, 2017 at 07:08 PM · Smashed on sight or souns, the viola thus ended its life much too late, at the ripe age of "varnished last week". :D

April 7, 2017 at 07:08 PM ·

April 7, 2017 at 07:09 PM ·

April 7, 2017 at 07:09 PM · I just set the forum record for repeat posts (my phone was really laggy).

Now, where's my prize for it? ;D

April 7, 2017 at 08:36 PM · From two previous posters:

1. “Flying isn’t what it used to be anymore.”

So I’ve heard. I quit flying in the late 20th century, though not over something like this.

2. “I would have to be knocked out … to be placed on a plane.”

I wouldn’t have to be knocked out. But I would have to be, for instance, stranded where emergency airlift was the only way out. I wrote on this subject off site in 2015. Click here if interested.

April 8, 2017 at 12:38 AM · A.O, maybe Lyndon has a Taylor fine violin for your prize award.

April 8, 2017 at 01:21 PM · What sayeth you Sir Lyndon? :D

April 11, 2017 at 11:22 PM · The regulations said bass fiddles were not allowed - Percy Grainger has a lot to answer for!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe