E strings with BLACK windings?

March 27, 2017 at 07:44 PM · What are all the E strings that have black windings?

Replies (24)

March 27, 2017 at 09:35 PM · Pirastro Obligato is black. Why do you want to know?

March 27, 2017 at 11:40 PM · Thomastik "Precision" is also black.

March 28, 2017 at 03:41 AM · It's just that I still havent figured out with E string Joshua Bell uses. I know its not gonna make me like him, but im just really curious.

March 28, 2017 at 12:31 PM · Both of those are good strings. A choice would depend on other factors, such as the other strings in the setup, the response of the violin to different E strings, and of course the violinist's personal preference - for instance, of two very similar strings one may feel more comfortable than the other under the fingers.

Personally, when I use Pirastro gut A, D and G (which is most of the time) I find that the Pirastro Obligato E works very well. I put this down to Pirastro engineering their strings to match within the brand.

March 28, 2017 at 12:41 PM · I think D'Addario Zyex E string is also black, am I right?

March 28, 2017 at 05:55 PM · Is this all?

March 28, 2017 at 10:28 PM · The Westminster heavy E is black.

March 28, 2017 at 10:30 PM · My Pirastro Obligato E is gold-plated, so if photos of Joshua Bell playing his violin are clear enough you may be able to deduce whether or not his E is a Pirastro Obligato. Incidentally, Pirastro apparently use the same E in more than one of their brands.

There is also a platinum-plated E around, which may possibly have a black tailpiece winding. I'm not sure who the manufacturer is.

March 28, 2017 at 11:35 PM · Both the Obligato and Oliv E are indeed the same-it is the old (as opposed to the "silvery steel") Pirazzi gold-plated E which is different. The older chrome steel gold plated E is excellent, as established above.

On a side note, one can wholly love someone else's artistry without having to use what they use(d). Many of my favorite musicians use Dominant or Evah Pirazzi Mediums (green), and I rarely use either (much like using Eudoxa just because Grumiaux/Milstein/et al used them won't necessarily matter on your end... use what works for you and your music-making.)

(Which is not to say that using either of these options is "wrong", mind you.)

March 28, 2017 at 11:50 PM · Wait, I've just noticed my E string, a Zyex, is actually chrome, but it's all black all the way from the first position to the third position. Is that dirty?

If it is, why my other Zyex strings G, D and A are not black too?

March 29, 2017 at 12:51 AM · My guess would be Westminster Heavy E

March 29, 2017 at 09:55 AM · I suspect if anyone bought a platinum plated E they'd know it - because of the hole in their wallet!

March 29, 2017 at 11:32 AM · Andrew Victor praises the platinum E string and is a good salesman as he has me convinced I should buy one, but they are so expensive. I should buy a few and try them out as he says that the platinum E makes the other strings sound better also.

March 29, 2017 at 03:27 PM · On a violin that it's good on, the platinum E is amazing. On other violins, it can be serious overdrive.

I do find that the platinum E lasts me substantially longer than the Jarger Es that I was using previously -- long enough that the price difference basically worked itself out. But my sweat seems to corrode Jarger Es in under a month.

March 29, 2017 at 04:03 PM · The Platinum has a Purple winding. So out of the black winded e strings, which do u think is the most reasonable for Joshua Bell to use?

March 29, 2017 at 05:49 PM · Could be anything. Violin Es are so individual to an instrument.

March 30, 2017 at 12:46 AM · As above, I would think the best match for Evah Greens (that Josh uses) would be Westminster Heavy E.

Or, you could take your current E, if you like it, and color the winding with a black sharpie.

March 30, 2017 at 08:28 AM · I think I will get Perlmans G string, Heifetz's D sting, Oistrachs A string and Sterns E string. Combine that with Mutters rosin, Hahns shoulder rest and Bells chinrest and I will get the best of all these....

;)

March 30, 2017 at 09:07 AM · Bo, you managed to mention all my favorite fiddlers in just one post!

March 30, 2017 at 03:04 PM · Recently using the "Titanium" Solo E, and I find it a pretty excellent string.

(Green windings... for what it's worth.)

March 30, 2017 at 04:12 PM · I think he uses the Westminster E string Heavy too. I'm using that currently and it produces a very powerful and vibrant sound.

March 30, 2017 at 06:09 PM · Westminster Heavy is nice-depending on the violin it may be too much tension or "hard to play on", but it's a great, powerful string.

Generally speaking, it tends to overpower the other strings, but you get used to it and immediately adapt/change fingerings accordingly. It's always nice to have extra reserves of power for when it's needed.

I like more the Westminster 27.5 than the 28 "super heavy" Goldbrokat some use (not referring to the medium, which is popular), though to be fair, I have not used the latter in a long while.

March 30, 2017 at 09:46 PM · Adalberto -- that's exactly why it would match well with Evah Greens.

Also, I think Itzhak Perlman uses Westminster Heavy E with Dominants. He used to use a Gold Label E, but switched several years back.

March 31, 2017 at 07:33 PM · To the OP:

(And letting everybody here know that identifying strings is one of my obsessive time consuming tasks haha)

In some photos I've noticed the E string being almost brown, so if that is true it should be a Pirastro Passione E.

However in most pics we indeed see a loop end black and black e string (in both ends) and the only suspect as far as I know is the TI prasizion as most people suggested.

But since you are interested in J. Bell's strings, I've noticed in the past that sometimes he makes some combos not consisting of only one set.

1) Evah Pirazzi GDA and the E that we are searching for

2) Evah Pirazzi G and TI Vision Titanium Solo GD and a Ti Prasizion E

3) Evah Pirazzi Gold G, Evah Pirazzi D and A and various Es

4) Evah Pirazzi GDA and a TI Infeld Red E

5) Now he has supposedly switched to Jargar Superior

He seems to like High tension strings, that way I hesitate to suppose that he would use the Obligato E...

And now we have to do something creative...

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition
ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

AVIVA Young Artist Program

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe