What to bring in the shop when purchasing JUST a violin?

March 27, 2017 at 12:31 AM · Ok, this may be a very silly question. I've tried searching about it but I found nothing (probably because it IS a silly question.)

When you go to a violin shop looking for a violin (JUST a violin and not an outfit.) What do you bring with you? Do you have bring in a case in case you ended up purchasing a violin?

I may be planning on purchasing my violin, bow and case separately (from different sellers.) Simply because I don't like all the options available in the violin shop.

With that said, if I come in and ended up liking a particular violin and/or bow but have no plans on buying a case, would the violin shop package it in a way that is safe? I don't drive and have to take the subway and the bus home is approximately 2 hours. What is the normal practice of violin shops in these type of scenarios?

Replies (20)

March 27, 2017 at 01:17 AM · A bow and a case!

March 27, 2017 at 02:07 AM · Agree: you must take along at least a case if you are sure you won't buy one at the violin shop. Q.: Why not? What case have you already chosen?

March 27, 2017 at 03:01 AM ·

Thanks for the thoughts.

I have a case at home so I probably won't buy one unless it's something I really like. Looking at the choices on their website I didn't really like any of the cases listed, I may change my mind once I see their cases in person but I'm operating on the assumption that I won't get one. Right now I'm looking online for a case but not really sold on anything yet.

I really don't want to carry a case on the way to work in the morning though if I can avoid it. Morning rush hour really packs the subways and the bus. I was hoping the shop would have a way to make it transit safe if I do end up buying just a violin and didn't bring a case.

March 27, 2017 at 03:35 AM · They'll usually throw in a case for free with most violins.

March 27, 2017 at 05:15 AM · Most shops will give you a week to try out the violin before purchase, in which case they'll supply a case and probably a bow for the trial period.

March 27, 2017 at 08:11 AM · A bow whose performance you know reliably. One variable you can control!

March 27, 2017 at 02:42 PM · Case. There is absolutely no way to package a violin any safer for transit than in a violin case.

The bow which you intend to use with the violin. Or if you are also in the market for a bow, at least bring a bow you are comfortable with.

Shoulder rest if you use one.

March 27, 2017 at 03:22 PM · Vicky, glad to hear you are making the trip to the shop! I'll toss in again that if you are going to Soundpost, they do rent, and the rental would be a complete outfit....think it over...take your time making a decision. It's never easy :)

March 27, 2017 at 04:17 PM · I wasn't aware you can do trials. That's actually why I'm going to the store, I don't want to purchase something I'll end up not liking later on.

I didn't even think about my shoulder rest! That should be easy enough to bring. :)

Hi Erin. I defintely see the benefits on going with a rental. Although, a few factors made me decide not to. For one thing rentals only applies to certain models. What if what the one I like is not one of those models? Also, I don't really want to put in money on rentals when I could simply apply it to purchasing the violin itself.

My question about being able to package a violin safely for transit without a case came from the idea that violin shops have to ship violins to customers who didn't go to their shop. There must have been away for them to have packaged it in a secure way.

I have contacted the store about my concern about commuting without case and the owner said it was no problem and that they have boxes available. I'll have to see what happens. Or I might end up buying a case after all once I see what they have in stock. :)

Thanks again everyone!

March 27, 2017 at 05:46 PM · Great, Vicky...this sounds exciting. If it's The Sound Post you are going to, 50% of rental fee will apply to any purchase; it's a good way to buy time. You don't buy the rental; you just use it until you find what you want in the shop. (Maybe you already have a violin, I don't know.)

Bon Voyage!

March 28, 2017 at 12:29 AM · A good store should be able to loan you a case for a trial; maybe even a double case if you decide to try two and choose between them.

March 28, 2017 at 01:48 AM · Violin shops ship violins to customers in a case. :-)

There's a lot more to it than that, of course, but once you open the box, you will find a case inside.

March 28, 2017 at 03:09 AM · Another suggestion is to bring a person who can play the violin, a teacher perhaps. Ideally one with a car :)

March 28, 2017 at 03:36 AM · Hi Mary. Do they normally ship with a case even if the customer is only buying a violin? Very curious as to how that works.

I'll take the trial into consideration and maybe go that route when I go to the shop. Sadly, I dont know anyone who plays the violin who can come with me. I'm looking for a teacher but that am fidning it difficult because of many factors involved. I do want a new violin since the one I have have to many issues going on and it's not even worth it to get repaired/adjusted for the price I bought it for. Driving is not something I would consider since the shop is smack in the middle of downtown district, no one really wants to drive in the area if they can help it. Even my coworkers who have cars take the subway to work instead to avoid the hassle.

March 28, 2017 at 11:39 AM · Can you Uber to the store?

March 28, 2017 at 12:18 PM · In my experience it's really quite difficult to walk out of a violin shop with a violin but without a case. Not necessarily the case you want to keep it in for the rest of its life, but a case, certainly :)

March 28, 2017 at 12:20 PM · Somehow this site never has long threads about how changing your violin's case affects the sounds, those threads are only reserved for rosins... ;)

March 30, 2017 at 01:23 PM · Hi guys. Just wanted to give an update. I got my violin on trial and I asked if they have a loaner case and they did so they sent me off with the violin and this used looking but oretty sturdy case. They listed the case on my trial form as being $200 though. But they said if I return it they wouldn't charge me for it.

I didn't bring anything. I was actually going to bring my bow and my shoulder rest but I completely forgot it when I left the house so the shop provided those for me while I tried the violins. I took the one I want home for a trial so my own bow can have a go at it.

Thanks so much to everyones input. It helped me a lot and I actually learned things I never knew before (i.e. like trial offers, etc.)

March 30, 2017 at 03:05 PM · Glad to hear from you Vicky that all went well. One aspect to consider is to buy from a shop with a large inventory of violins so that in the future you can trade it in for another one if you want to.

March 30, 2017 at 03:15 PM · Thank you for the update! Glad to hear about your progress; and there's much more in store, I am sure!!! :)

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe