What is your favorite humidifier for your violin??

March 21, 2017 at 03:37 PM · What is everyone's favorite Humidifier for their violin?? I have the planet waves one that you inject water in with a syringe but it's not my favorite and I don't like using a Dampit. I wondered about the Stretto and the Bobelock case one is particular....

Replies (23)

March 21, 2017 at 04:17 PM · A well renowned luthier recommended Stretto to me and that's what I've been using ever since. I monitor with a hygrometer and keep the RH throughout the case at a constant, comfortable 50%. I've read about the dangers of Dampit dripping and causing water damage on the inside of the violin.

I've wondered what's in the Stretto bags/refills. They are somewhat expensive. I think it's polymer pellets or powder ("Orbs") which are like 1,000 for $1 on Amazon. I'm thinking about making my own when my last Stretto bag is used up and no longer soaks up water. I'm thinking about putting the Orbs directly in the small plastic Stretto box, or anything that keeps them contained and permits the humidity to diffuse.

March 21, 2017 at 08:25 PM · The stretto is great. Works fine with the same bag since september, still like new. When it dries out, it becomes a yellowish solid block, which needs a little more time to get soaked again.

March 21, 2017 at 08:26 PM · But expensive for the material...

March 21, 2017 at 08:44 PM · Yes, it's great but relatively expensive. When it begins to turn yellow it also emits a strong mildew odor. You might wish to replace more often than once per season.

March 21, 2017 at 09:09 PM · Check out the precipitube -- best thing on the market IMO. Note: I am not affiliated with Lashof violins in any way.

http://www.lashofviolins.com/precipitube.html

March 21, 2017 at 09:41 PM · My favorite has always been controlling the humidity in the instrument storage area. Sure, trying to control the humidity inside a case might be a backup plan, or maybe even the best thing for a soloist traveling from place to place, all over the world.

One can put together a pretty decent room humidifying system for around 80 bucks. Or more like 160 bucks, if one isn't too comfortable with handling the programming (somewhat complicated) of the less expensive system.

March 21, 2017 at 10:35 PM · @Dexter - no smell yet with mine... But maybe this is because we do have very clean water out here.

@Smiley - I wished I could use the precipitube. Unfortunately, my violin case did not come with a tube holder. (But for my son's case it would be fine.) And, although I searched the internet like mad, I couldn't find a dealer in europe...

David, you're absolutely right, and since I use a room humidifier everything's better. But on days I have to carry my instrument out for lessons or whatever, I usually have to bring it to work in the morning and it has to stay in a dry, overheated room for a whole day. For this, and for travelling (hotel rooms!!), I use the stretto. It stays in the case anytime, because otherwise I would forget about it, and I also realised that it works even better if the case is a little bit more saturated. (Actually I constantly manage to have 40-45% in the room, and something around 50% in the case.) And the case will never get cold for more than a few minutes to avoid condensation inside although I'd guess that the plywood and all the silk would buffer this easily - I guess I became somehow neurotic about my treasure... ;-)

March 22, 2017 at 12:38 AM · Anyone heard of using a sponge in a Ziploc with some holes in it?

I don't do that, but I heard it recommended as a"homemade" humidifier.

March 22, 2017 at 01:43 AM · Better: Purchase a small plastic soap dish, and drill some small holes in the top. That way, there is a small "sink" for pooling water. I use one of the "greatly expands" or compressed sponges. You can even cut the sponges to size. Use distilled or other purified water to limit mildew, but if you do get mildew, either boil the sponge or preferably, soak for 10' in a 1:3 dilution of household bleach. Then rinse many times in purified water.

March 22, 2017 at 01:59 AM · If there is room under the neck in your case, Boveda's 49% packs work wonderfully well. You can get a sleeve to hold two of them, which looks a little more polished.

As a bonus, no drips or refilling.

March 22, 2017 at 03:28 AM · Thanks everyone!!!

March 22, 2017 at 04:53 AM · This time of year you can get a deal on evaporative room humidifiers with humidistats and automatic features. I just picked up one for $15 marked down from $80 and got filters on discount too. I keep my instruments in a single closed room and have been adding water only every 2-3 days. Imho evaporative over steam. The humidistat is the key to non fluctuating humidity. Save the case humidifiers for when your instrument is traveling for extended periods. The yo-yoing humidity can't be good.

March 22, 2017 at 08:47 AM · I habe a wet sponge inside a plastic case. This is in Addition to a room humidifier.

March 24, 2017 at 12:49 PM · Does the Stretto automatically adjust the amount of humidity it lets out? I.e. if the room became drier, it would let out more humidity; and the opposite if the room became more humid?

March 24, 2017 at 03:37 PM · The Stretto goes inside the case, not for the room. I'm not sure if it adjusts but it does keep RH around 50

March 24, 2017 at 03:47 PM · "Better: Purchase a small plastic soap dish, and drill some small holes in the top. That way, there is a small "sink" for pooling water."

Better still: Use a device that absolutely cannot drip liquid water. Instead of a sponge I wonder if anyone has tried the adsorbent material in a disposable diaper.

March 24, 2017 at 08:36 PM · True, Dexter, but the change of humidity in the room also will change the humidity inside the case. Unless you have a humidifier; hence my question of whether the Stretto adjusts automatically.

March 24, 2017 at 09:04 PM · My Bam case seals very very tight, like a pressurized cabin. The humidity stays at 50% inside the case, even though I can never get the humidity in the room above 18% (in winter) using two humidifiers. I think Orbs is the way to go once your Stretto refill begins to get yellow and moldy. Orbs are clean, constant, cheap humidity. Apparently they're not toxic to pets or children either.

Paul, soap dishes are too big. The Stretto tray/box is basically a mini soap dish with holes, the perfect size for a violin case. Pooling water in a soap dish is dangerous in case your case típs over, or someone moves it around,while you're not home. And sponges, well that's like a dampit.

March 29, 2017 at 03:19 PM · Does anyone else have experience with the Boveda 2 way humidity control system?

March 29, 2017 at 03:42 PM · If you use common sense and wring it out first you aren't going to damage your violin with a dampit... Likewise the dampit doesn't do much at all if you use it properly...

March 29, 2017 at 09:27 PM · I use the one that came with my Musafia, never any problem.

March 29, 2017 at 09:50 PM · I use a Venta L45 room humidifier; nothing in the case.

March 29, 2017 at 09:50 PM · Duplicate post deleted,

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe