String Suggstion

March 12, 2017 at 04:09 PM · So first of all, I'm very no show to the discussions now a days... but I'm back finally. I wanted to ask the community if you can suggest a string set(or multiple brands of,) that has that good high pitch grainy sound, I currently use a German Paganini string set on all four but I find myself a little uncomfortable with the G, it's too mellow.

I'm kind of wanting a string set that has a kind of "Grainy" sound, If you know what I mean...

Replies (23)

March 12, 2017 at 04:58 PM · Different strings sound different on different violins. While there are some generalizations about their characteristics that are valid, e.g., Evahs tend to be bright and Obligatos tend to be warm, "grainy" (whatever that means) is not, to my knowledge, associated with any particular type of strings. And even if someone were to tell me that a particular type of string tended to be "grainy," they might sound awful on your violin or not sound that way. So, your best bet is probably to go to your luthier, who can actually hear your violin with the current strings, listen to you describe what you want, and give some useful advice on what strings might work. Good luck!

March 12, 2017 at 05:40 PM · What is a German Paganini string set?? Never heard of it.

March 12, 2017 at 06:44 PM · Ditto

March 12, 2017 at 07:07 PM · Grainy probably means that rough edgey sound that is good for loud chords, an intense sound.

In that case, try a thin gauge set of Synoxas.

March 13, 2017 at 12:10 AM · From what I can gather online, Paganini strings are a cheap knock off brand, probably sourced from China not Germany, the first thing you could do is get a quality violin string set from one of the top manufacturers, Thomastik, Pirastro, or Warchal, almost any string they make will probably be an improvement on yours. One of the bargains in the quality string set is Pirastro's Tonica strings, their version of the more expensive standard Thomastik Dominant strings, they should only set you back about $35, then having a known string on your violin, we could possibly guide you towards what you want different than what you get with those strings, none of us have any familiarity with Paganini strings so its almost impossible to advise you.

March 13, 2017 at 12:57 AM · Are the Paganinis steel or sythetic cored? If they're crappy steel strings, you should probably try some cheap synthetics and see what happens. I second Lyodon's recommendation to start with Pirastro's Tonicas (I personally love these strings). I agree with A. O. that you're probably looking for a bright, edgy tone.

March 13, 2017 at 01:14 AM · The Paganini strings claim to be nylon core, but that doesn't imply any level of quality IMHO, You can buy nylon core strings from China for $5-10/set, and they're garbage.

March 13, 2017 at 01:14 AM · edit

March 13, 2017 at 01:54 AM · I suspect by "grainy" the OP actually means something that is complex and rich-sounding.

March 13, 2017 at 02:11 AM · Could be. Edgy, rich, more colourful...

March 13, 2017 at 02:39 AM · In that case Obligatos might be a good option IMHO.

March 14, 2017 at 11:54 PM · I do not know if it's a steel core or a syntethic one but certainly not nylon cored.

It's The kind of string that even when you bow very fast, it does not raise a cent(tuning) not like other strings I tried. I'm assuming it's a syntethic core?

March 15, 2017 at 01:32 AM · Not all steel strings pitch bend. I only experienced it with a crappy metal viola C that was too long for the instrument, but I don't think the fact that a string being improperly scaled is the whole cause of pitch-bending, since a good quality (improperly scaled) synthetic C on the same instrument fixed the problem. No pitch-bending is a good thing because it poses all sorts of crazy problems. Nylon core strings are synthetic. Where do you get these strings from? Is there any way you can find out the type of core? I have no clue what these Paganini strings are. Lyndon could very well be right, though I have no personal evidence to prove it. I tried googling these strings, but found nothing relevant. Lyndon, can you tell me what you punched in to google? I tried something along the lines of "paganini violin string set."

March 15, 2017 at 03:22 AM · Obligatos are rich, if that's what you're looking for

March 15, 2017 at 05:42 PM · Synoxa light gauge strings aren't made anymore.

March 15, 2017 at 05:42 PM · Synoxa light gauge strings aren't made anymore.

March 15, 2017 at 06:07 PM · They still exist, maybe only in medium.

March 15, 2017 at 10:26 PM · I googled Paganini strings, clicked on the picture of strings and the link which was a store in Germany that sold them and said they were nylon core but did not say where they were made.

March 16, 2017 at 12:30 AM · Thanks, Lyndon. I checked google images and saw this place called sielam.com. There seemed to be a Paganini string set, but the link was an image.

March 16, 2017 at 02:25 AM · From the picture you can click on the title on the right side of the page, takes you to sielam's website. The strings are listed under accessories.

By the way Perlon, used for many synthetic strings is a type of Nylon, at least I have been told.

March 16, 2017 at 02:29 AM · Okay, I'm in the right place. Thank you so much.

March 16, 2017 at 03:35 AM · Lyndon is correct. Nylon is a generic name (now) for a synthetic polymer that is either an aliphatic or semi-aromatic polyamide. Perlon (the stuff in Dominants, amongst others) consists of a monomer called a caprolactam, and is called nylon-6 (perlon, trade name)when it is a polymer. So Edlix, your string is indeed, nylon cored. Most synthetic violin strings (cored with something other than steel or gut)are likely using a nylon variant. The specific variant is sometimes a "trade secret."

March 17, 2017 at 12:02 AM · If you do like the sound/feel of steel strings and want more richness I would recommend helicore. Although I never put a set on my violin, I have played with them on a viola I was using and did really like the sound. It will have a little more grit to it than some of the others recommended. But if you want to go synthetic, my vote also goes to tonica, I personally believe they are the best sounding string for the price! Enjoy your string hunt, I find it one of the more enjoyable parts of playing a stringed instrument!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition
ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

AVIVA Young Artist Program

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe