Which JonPaul Bow sound darker/warmer?

February 24, 2017 at 12:21 AM · I'm in the market for a new bow, after reading CodaBows and JonPaul reviews I'm almost decided for a JonPaul Carrera. I want to know if it is the darker/warmer sounding of their line or if maybe a CodaBow is more like that! Thanks for your advices!

Replies (6)

February 24, 2017 at 01:33 AM · I've got you on this Mary Ellen:

A very accomplished friend of my uses her John Paul Avanti bow for 90% of his playing. For this reason it is a very good choice.

They also can't stand Coda bows. In my experience I have found Coda bows to be quite bright, but solid bows.

February 24, 2017 at 01:38 AM · I've always wondered how one bow can sound bright and another dark, when haired with the same hair by the same luthier, and with uniform application of the same rosin, of course. People say they can, including great masters, and I won't dispute their claim. But I do wonder how that works.

February 24, 2017 at 03:20 AM · Carbon fiber bows, even within the same model, have a greater range of tonal variance than wooden bows, in my experience. In particular, some CF bows will sound just dreadful with some violins -- there's a nastiness that can be present that you don't ordinarily find with wood bows. It's a tonal interaction that can't be predicted and is not necessarily related to either violin or bow quality.

You'll probably want to try several examples of a given model if you can. Also, you really can't shop for CF bows online any more than you can shop for wood bows online. You have to try them out. A given model's bows will all feel similar but won't be identical.

February 24, 2017 at 09:01 AM · In the brief description on the web page it says: "....the Carrera is available in a range of strengths to compliment your needs." So it would appear that there is more than one Carrera. The dealer web sites I have seen on this side of the pond just list it as Carrera with no info on strengths.

February 24, 2017 at 05:38 PM · http://www.thestrad.com/old-new-finding-right-bow-stringed-instrument/?utm_source=Adestra&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=16105

When they first started marketing their new design CF bows, ARCUS described the importance of the velocity of sound in the stick. Some baroque bows have been made using snakewood instead of the more well-known pernambuco. Italian maker, Lucci, actually markets his "Lucci Meter" to measure the velocity of sound in string instrument/bow woods and other materials.

More recently some bow makers (esp. Berg/Michael Duff) are talking about the effects of using wooden frogs of various woods including rosewood, cocobula, and African blackwood. ARCUS used snakewood frogs on many of their CF bows. All these are very hard woods and polish up to look a lot like tortoise shell.

Of course we all know that different bows behave very differently for different kinds of strokes when playing. My own experience with bow testing and purchases has convinced me that different bows can make really big differences in sound on any instrument. For one cello bow purchase I tested 66 bows at the dealer's and found only 2 that satisfied my need on the cello I was purchasing them for. Both bows had been made by the same modern maker (Paul Martin Siefried), a multiple gold medal winner). That cello had some troublesome responses on the G string close to its "wolf" resonance that these bows controlled - the wolf was still there, but that could be controlled in a different way. I actually have 8 cello bows and 3 cellos, so I have gathered some long-term experience on what works with what - although no real idea of why.

On another of my cellos, the best bow for sound is one of the first CF bows I ever bought - even before my first Coda Classic, a "CF Durro," It came as quite a surprise that this bow works so well with this particular old (1877) German cello.

Bow sticks vibrate when you play and if the hair also vibrates this hair vibration will interact with the strings at certain frequencies. It seems to me you don't want this to happen. I've yet to find any scientific literature that addresses this issue in a way that I understand (if at all).

February 24, 2017 at 06:50 PM · I second Lydia's suggestion regarding trying many copies of the same model of carbon fiber bow. A year ago I tried several Coda GX as well as JP Avanti and Carrera bows. One Carrera had a much more lively stick than all the other bows and a much better, less harsh sound, so that's the one I got. There was an Avanti that was pretty close, though, so if you're going for value I recommend getting at least 4 of those to try and pick the one you like the best; although, all Carrera's I tried were generally better than the Avantis, so if the price isn't a problem I think you'll be happier with a Carrera in the long run.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition
ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

AVIVA Young Artist Program

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe