I need a high chinrest

February 24, 2017 at 12:21 AM · Hi everyone

After years of using Guarneri cinrest(cheek rest actually!)

I switched to SAS (32mm)

I'm really comfortable with it but my luthier strongly adviced me to remove it and told me that it causes damage to the body of your instrument (having only one bracket that mounts on the left side from the center that puts too much pressure) is there any other kind of high chinrests?(more than 30 mm)

i visited 2 music shops around me but they don't offer chinrest test unfortunately.

How should i choose the correct chinrest for me?

My hand length from arm to the top of the middle finger : 78 cm

My Neck's height from the center of the jaw to breast bone: 14 cm

Jaw width ear to ear: 25cm

Thank you/

P.S:i checked the lately topic about chinrests higher than 30 mm but i don't want to add material to my chinrest in order to makes it higher.

Replies (42)

February 24, 2017 at 12:41 AM · Do please try googling chin rests and chinrests on this site. You'll find out far more than any one of us can tell you individually, but just to get you started, there is the Kreddle (I'm thinking of getting one).

February 24, 2017 at 04:37 AM · There's a bunch of tall chinrest posts already, so I'll just briefly suggest you look at www.chinrests.com

February 24, 2017 at 01:38 PM · I've been using a SAS rest for a couple of years and my violin is fine. My son uses one too.

February 26, 2017 at 03:25 AM · Wow, you have a long neck. I am not familiar with centimeters so I measured my neck and it is 5 3/4 inches which is 14.605 cm. welcome to the long necked club. I played violin as a child then gave it up after graduation. I picked it up again at age 62. I don't remember my neck being so long and leaning forward with my head to hang onto the violin. We are all built differently so what works for me may not work for you. There is a web site I found, the chinrests are made in three different sizes 1 inch, 1 1/4 inch and 1 1/2 inches. I bought the highest one which is 38.1 mm. It works for me. The chinrest wraps slightly along the jaw line instead of cutting across it. That little turn has made it very comfortable. The website is www.wavechinrest.com. The mans name is Randall Olson and he was very helpful in meeting my needs. Good luck on finding something that works for you. Oh, I also use a high sponge.

February 26, 2017 at 10:06 AM · Thank you everyone.

February 27, 2017 at 04:11 AM · Thanks for introducing another chin rest style, Ms Dickison. It looks intriguing.

Does it have a similar feel to those chin rests that have a slight bump in the center? Do you think it's more suitable for a fleshy jaw or for a bony jaw?

I currently have a Zitsman, which I got out of simplicity. I didn't know what I wanted, and since it doesn't have any distinct shape, it felt good. But now I'm looking for something which will fit my shape better. Flesch - don't like. SAS, Teka, Ohrenform - none were enough of a better fit that made it worth switching.

By the way, where do people buy those SR-shaped sponges?

February 27, 2017 at 08:35 AM · Ms.Dickison

thank you so much for introducing Wave.i'm checking their website right now.

February 28, 2017 at 10:04 AM · That Wave chinrest looks very interesting. I just ordered one. Will report back when it has arrived. At first the web site would not accept orders from Sweden, but I mailed them and very quickly I got a response from Randall Olson and within hours it was fixed and my chinrest is on its way. Just hoping that the chinrest itself is as good as their customer service!

March 7, 2017 at 01:16 AM · @Bo Pontoppidan: Have you received your chin rest yet? What are your thoughts? Does the shape (the way it comes outward) feel better than most other chin rests?

I'm debating whether to go ahead and buy it. It's hard to be sure that it's what I need without trying it first. Mr. Olson is super helpful though.

March 7, 2017 at 02:21 AM · I am touring with my choir this week, but I'm told it is on the way.

March 7, 2017 at 02:21 AM · I am touring with my choir this week, but I'm told it is on the way.

I will report as soon as I have tested it.

March 7, 2017 at 05:11 PM · G. A. Are you looking for a foam shoulder rest? I purchased the Belvelin shoulder rest from Shar Music. It is made out of firm foam and I carved one side of it slightly to fit my body better. It is made in Sweden. It did improve the tone a little, I am thinking because it is firm.

March 7, 2017 at 05:22 PM · G. A., to answer your earlier question, I have a boney jaw and that is one reason I like the Wave chinrest so much. The other reason is because it is made from a tonal wood (African Padauk) which made my violin sound like a million bucks. Good luck in your search for the perfect set up for you.

March 8, 2017 at 02:52 AM · Looking forward, Bo Pontoppidan! We'll wait patiently. I hope it works out for you.

Thanks Ms. Dickison for your posts.

I figured out that I need a chinrest that will allow me to keep my head and neck looking straight forward, instead of bending a little downward on a sort-of slope. (Purpose of which is to keep the violin and myself UP and not "crouching" my shoulders.)

OP: Did you end up buying the Wave?

March 8, 2017 at 06:05 AM · I am a bit sceptical about the "tonal wood" chin rests impact on the sound of the violin. Sydnie - was your previous chin rest also center mounted? I think it is generally accepted that side or center mount can make a difference in how the sound of the violin is affected, but have not heard of large impact of species of wood.

March 8, 2017 at 06:08 AM · @G.A.

Hi!

actually my parents did(the taller 1.5 inch one).they ordered it to a private post company but i have to wait for one of them to pay me a visit cause i'm studying in another country but i think it won't be soon because Nowrooz holiday is close in Iran.However if they brought it to me i'll immediately let you know.

my apologies/

March 8, 2017 at 06:09 AM ·

March 8, 2017 at 02:16 PM ·

March 9, 2017 at 02:01 AM · HI Bo, yes, my previous chinrest was a center mount. Here is what I did to test it. I have a friend who also plays the violin. We did some blind testing. I had him turn his back, I put one of the chinrests on my violin and played it, then I put the other one on and played it again. He gave me feed back. Then I turned my back and he put the chinrests on in random order, he played and in the end we both agreed that the Padauk made my violin sound a little more focused and sweeter. If you can give it the blind test that would be great, please let me know how it turns out. I am planning on having a tail piece made from Padauk just to see what it does...lol. One of your previous posts said you had a hard time placing an order from Sweden? My daughter lives in Linkoping. I have been to Sweden about 4 times, nice country, I thoroughly enjoyed my time there.

March 9, 2017 at 02:13 AM · I think using tonal wood is relatively new. I do not find much data on it as far as how it makes the violin vibrate. I did see that guitar makers use Padauk because of its tonal qualities. I would love to hear a violin made from it. I wonder what it would sound like.

March 15, 2017 at 10:23 PM · It is going to be a while longer before I can give you my review of the wave chinrest. It was shipped almost two weeks ago, but the USPS decided to send it to a post office in Texas that happens to have the same ZIP code as I do here in Sweden....

March 15, 2017 at 11:27 PM · Oh my, that's disappointing! I hope it comes sooner than expected.

After much correspondence and discussion with Mr Olson (who is super helpful and patient), I ordered the Wave I 1.25". I should be getting it next week, and I'll give my input then. I did still take a little gamble, so I'm hoping for the best.

March 26, 2017 at 02:13 AM · First, superficial impression: it's a beautiful chin rest, really.

March 26, 2017 at 01:46 PM · Still waiting for mine. Mr Olson has kindly mailed a second one since the first seems stuck in Texas....

How do you like it compared to others you have tried?

March 26, 2017 at 07:20 PM · It's hard to tell after only playing on it for two days, but one big difference is that the bump in it doesn't bother my jaw. By the Flesch, for example, I felt like I had to reach over the bump to rest my jaw, but it was uncomfortable. And with other chin rests that have no bump, it's easier to slide off.

On this one, the bump helps me feel secure, and because of the chin rest design, it's not uncomfortable.

March 27, 2017 at 12:20 AM · It's amazing what a difference the right chinrest will make! :)

March 27, 2017 at 12:20 AM · Why am I getting double-posts all of sudden?

March 27, 2017 at 07:15 AM · GA can you tell us if you got the wave and if so, how do you like it.

I'm going to order a 1.5". I'm not sure between wave 1 or 2.

Thanks

March 27, 2017 at 03:56 PM · Yes Michael, I received the Wave 1, 1.25" (my neck is around 10.5-11 cm). See what I wrote in my previous post.

If you're debating between the 1 and 2, I'd recommend emailing Mr. Olson and telling him why you're undecided. He'll be able to advise you, as he did me (with explanations, pictures and videos).

March 31, 2017 at 12:49 PM · I finally recieved my Wave 2 chinrest. I agree with G.A. - it is well made and good looking. The Padauk wood goes well with my boxwood fittings (better than the rosewood rest I had before). I cant really say I notice a big difference in sound from the "tonal wood". The rest feels comfortable and there is less of an urge to move the head towards the violin. So I am pleased with my purchase even if it took almost a month to get it and I had to almost pay it twice due to shipping to Sweden, taxes and post office fees. Can you believe that the fee for handling the taxing is higher than the tax itself?!

March 31, 2017 at 07:00 PM · Good to hear that it finally arrived after all this time and adventure. Now your turn to describe how you feel its design is different from other chin rests.

March 31, 2017 at 08:54 PM · It has only been a few days, but the most noticable difference compared to the Teka style I used before is that I don't feel the edge anymore. With the Teka the cheek bone crossed the ridge of the rest but the Wave rest just follows the contour of the jaw.

March 31, 2017 at 08:54 PM · It has only been a few days, but the most noticable difference compared to the Teka style I used before is that I don't feel the edge anymore. With the Teka the cheek bone crossed the ridge of the rest but the Wave rest just follows the contour of the jaw.

April 29, 2017 at 08:42 PM · I thought I'd update this thread: I got my wave 1.5" chinrest. I'm glad I got the tallest size because I could use it just slightly taller. I liked the feel but I've had an "Impressionist" on my violin for a few years now and it felt weird without it so I put the Impressionist on my Wave and now it's almost perfect. I like it much better than what I previously had. I may try adding 3mm of cork to make it just slightly higher.

Overall the Wave is now my favorite. And I also recommend the Impressionist. :)

April 29, 2017 at 11:04 PM · Michael Pub, thanks for the update. I ordered a Wave 1.25" chinrest and it should arrive in a few days. Looking forward to it.

April 30, 2017 at 01:42 AM · @Michael Pub: Wow you have a long neck! Do you also use a shoulder rest/pad?

I'm feeling quite good with my Wave too. It has helped me with my issue of the violin shaking when vibrating. And no neck/shoulder blade aches anymore.

What's the Impressionist? Is it those soft pads that cover the chin rest? Excuse my ignorance.

April 30, 2017 at 01:59 AM · Another vote for the Kreddle, it really works for me, I love it.

April 30, 2017 at 07:02 AM · GA - I haven't measured the gap between my chin & violin lately but I'm 6'2" and have a pretty tall neck. The video on the Wave website really helped, I learned how, with his technique, one just turns their head and the chin should meet the chinrest, without having the clamp down (lowering the chin). This helps finding the right size easier.

The impressionist is an inexpensive rubber type thing you can put on a chinrest and after putting it in boiling water it will mold to your chin shape making a perfect and very comfortable fit. I have to admit it's not the prettiest thing to put on a violin. :) For me it helps to wrap around my jawbone which makes it more stable. Shar sells it, here's a link:

http://www.sharmusic.com/Accessories/Chinrests/The-Impressionist-Chinrest-Comforter---Black-Large.axd#sthash.PEGLGfxn.dpbs

April 30, 2017 at 10:04 AM · I recently bought a Stuber model from fiddler shop. it's quite good. Here's the link:

https://fiddlershop.com/stuber-model-chinrest-violin.html

May 1, 2017 at 01:37 AM · You can make less radical changes by having a luthier put a little extra cork underneath the feet of a rest, and by using a Strad Pad on top.

May 1, 2017 at 05:12 PM · It's quite easy to put some cork yourself. I ordered some thick cork from Thomann. I trace the outline of the feet of the chinrest on to paper, cut a template, then draw it on cork. Cut it out with scissors. If it's not high enough, do it twice and super glue the two cork pieces together.

You might need chinrest screws which are cheap.

Just use a real chinrest tool so you don't risk scratching your violin.

May 2, 2017 at 09:59 PM · I have now had the wave chinrest for a month. It is by far the best chinrest I have had (and I have tried a lot - including the Kreddle). Combined with the Pirastro Korfker rest (which I reshaped to have much less of a hook shape) it is very comfortable, feels secure but does not lock the violin in one place. The only drawback is that I will probably have to buy one for my viola too.....

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe