Computer hackers steal personal info on San Antonio Symphony employees

February 15, 2017 at 04:44 PM ·

From the San Antonio Express-News: Data breach hits San Antonio Symphony employees:

"Computer hackers broke into the computer network for the San Antonio Symphony this week, stealing the names, birth dates, Social Security numbers, addresses and W-2 tax forms for about 250 employees, the organization confirmed Tuesday.

“This was a limited data breach,” said symphony board President David Kinder. “We are developing a strategy to deal with the repercussions. We’re doing everything to prevent harm to the employees.”

The data breach, which is thought to have occurred Monday and was discovered that afternoon, didn’t compromise data for donors, season ticket holders or other patrons, said symphony President David Gross."

Yikes!

Replies (19)

February 16, 2017 at 03:34 AM · Yes. I want to give a shout-out to our Orchestra Committee as well as AFM Local 23 for being on top of this, working with our management and communicating with us so that we're kept informed and can take appropriate steps to protect our identities.

Management is meeting with the orchestra tomorrow after the morning rehearsal; subs and extras (who are included in the 250 compromised employees) are invited to the meeting.

We are the third orchestra to be hacked in three weeks; the North Carolina Symphony was hacked last week and another orchestra in Texas was also hacked.

February 16, 2017 at 03:45 AM · Should we assume from now that you're really a Russian living in his mother's basement?

February 16, 2017 at 03:46 AM · Huh?

February 16, 2017 at 03:53 AM · Hi, I don't get what happened. What can someone do with your name, birth date and social security number? Why would someone want to know it?

February 16, 2017 at 04:03 AM · With a name, birthdate and social security number, one can:

File a tax return and collect a refund (the hacker also stole our W-2 information)

Apply for a credit card and run up huge bills

Commit identity theft in other ways

This is not good news for us and is taking time out of our days as we try to protect our financial and personal information, so please forgive me if I don't have a sense of humor about it.

https://www.acuantcorp.com/101-ways-your-identity-can-be-stolen-and-exploited/

February 16, 2017 at 12:04 PM · This is EXACTLY what has happened to us in the Kitchener Waterloo Symphony.The musicians Social Security Numbers were hacked last year and identity theft has run rampant .I myself was a victim in December with a criminal diverting my mail to another address and then using my S.I.N number to apply for a credit card(which they received in my mail and immediately put $5000.00 on it).I immediately reported this to the police and there is now a detective working with the K.W.Symphony.

Also,members of the Toronto Symphony and Vancouver are being subjected to this threat.

My advice to symphony musicians is to check your mail regularly and watch your bank accounts carefully.

February 16, 2017 at 01:43 PM · It's important to note that many "hackers" work hard to help us stay safe everyday. These security experts test and patch security problems. I don't like the media use of the word that implies that all people with knowledge of bypassing security measures are criminals.

White Hat Hacker = keep data safe

Black Hat Hacker = malicious intent

February 16, 2017 at 01:51 PM · Why are they targeting orchestras ? That seems a bit odd to me. Why not football or basketball teams as there would surely be a lot more money there ?

February 16, 2017 at 02:03 PM · Yeah, that's the other thing I didn't understand. Why orchestras?

February 16, 2017 at 02:54 PM · The IRS representative who spoke with me said that most of the large corporations have increased their cyber security, so thieves are targeting smaller companies whose information may not be so well protected.

I suppose I should be grateful that at least someone understands that musicians do get paid for what they do.

February 16, 2017 at 03:01 PM · Orchestras are "soft" targets, I guess.

February 16, 2017 at 03:41 PM · Exactly Sung...

If you are a victim of identity fraud in Canada you should immediately register with Trans Union and Equifax.It is a free service that tracks your credit history and will contact you if there is any fraudulent activity going on with your ID or banking.My S.I.N number,drivers license,health card and bank info. are being monitored by these organizations now.

February 17, 2017 at 03:34 AM · When this happens invariably the company or institution sets up credit monitoring for everyone affected. It's really bad for these regional orchestras that are often not doing so well financially.

How many total employees does the San Antonio Symphony have?

February 17, 2017 at 04:56 AM · I'm so sorry to hear that this has happened to you, Mary Ellen and Peter. I'm glad they have at least identified the problem and alerted you, but it's scary.

February 17, 2017 at 04:57 AM · Thank you, Laurie.

Paul, we have a music director and an associate conductor; 72 musicians (including our librarian) plus an assistant librarian; maybe 15 - 20 administrative and operations staff; and many subs and extras whose information was also in the computers and also stolen. Total number of people affected is about 250.

February 17, 2017 at 09:29 PM · Thanks Laurie.It was a real wake up call for learning to protect your identity.BTW,I received a call last night from the credit card company that had been used in the fraudulent activity.They had the criminal on hold on another line who was actually complaining about why the credit card was cancelled as he was trying to put more items on it !!

February 17, 2017 at 10:29 PM · I remember when my tax refund check was stolen from my mailbox in Minneapolis when I was a graduate student. I made an appointment with IRS and the representative told me I had to wait until they caught the thief to get a new refund! I asked what happens if they don't catch the thief, and she just gave me a weird look and said, "We always do." I think electronic identity theft is a totally different game. However, my wife and I once had our credit card number stolen and the thief was using it to buy things for home delivery. Makes you wonder.

February 17, 2017 at 11:29 PM · I placed a freeze at all of the bureaus. No one can open new credit without it being removed. Also placed charge alerts on all my credit cards so that anytime a charge of more than 1$ is made, I am alerted. Probably not 100% as the crooks always find a way of getting around everything and then getting away with no more than a slap on the wrist!

February 18, 2017 at 04:14 AM · I was told by the Waterloo Police that there has been a surge of automotive break ins in our area and the criminals don't even touch your sunglasses or what have you.They are looking for identity as in licenses,insurance numbers, bank cards etc.The officers' advice was to leave nothing in your car whatsoever...what a world we live in.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis
International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Interlochen Center for the Arts
Interlochen Center for the Arts

Virtual Sejong Music Competition
Virtual Sejong Music Competition

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

Metzler Violin Shop

Bein & Company

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Los Angeles Violin Shop

String Masters

Bobelock Cases

Things 4 Strings LLC

Violin-Strings.com

Viola-Strings.com

Baerenreiter

Fiddlerman.com

FiddlerShop

Sleepy Puppy Press

Jargar Strings

J.R. Judd Violins, LLC

Southwest Strings

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe