Where can I purchase chin rests that are more than 30mm high

February 1, 2017 at 03:45 PM · I am hunting for the 40mm Teka high chin rest but they are nowhere to be found. Chinrests.com offers a tailored one but are so expensive. Not so long ago, I found a website called thestringzone.co.uk only to hear from them that the 40mm(£26)is out of stock. I waited a month and they are still unsure of the status. I now use a 30mm high Teka but feel that a 35-40mm will fit me perfectly. I hate the SAS chin rests and the shape of the 30mm Teka goes hand in hand with my chin. It is just the height of the chin rest which bothers me. Unfortunately, I will also have to give up the idea of playing without a shoulder rest since my neck is so high that I will need both the chin rest as well as the shoulder rest indispensably.

Replies (35)

February 1, 2017 at 06:09 PM · Chinrest.com is expensive, but if you need it, it's not unreasonable for years of comfortable playing. If the alternative is to use a shoulder rest when you would prefer not to, potentially for years, what's that worth? Do you have any woodworking tools/skills? Could you make the modification yourself?

February 1, 2017 at 06:43 PM · Why not just have a luthier add a wooden raise under it (after you specify the height you want)?

February 1, 2017 at 09:04 PM · I used a custom made 40-45mm SAS for a while. I recently found it didn't have enough of a grip for my boney chin so I am using another one. What I do is this:

Find a tall chinrest, higher than 35mm is hard to find. I got some on ebay that around around 25-35mm. I then ordered some cork and traced the outline of the chinrest and cut out some pieces. On my current setup I got the thickest cork I could find at Thomann and I stack 3 of them. I glued them together. This raises the chinrest quite a lot and it's still stable.

Next I use "The Impressionist" that I also got from ebay. It doesn't really add heigh but it adds grip so that my boney chin has something to hang on to. It adds a little height I guess.

I also found that I didn't need as high of a chin rest as I once thought I did. I can use a 35mm SAS or my custom one (described above) is about 35mm too. And that works for me pretty well. You can try it, it's not expensive (cork is < $10 and impressionist is around $10).

Also you might like your SAS better with the impressionist on it, I know I did. It's not deep enough without the impressionist.

February 1, 2017 at 09:46 PM · I'd rather add some piece of wood firmly glued to the CR and just the usual thin layer of cork underneath for violin protection. This will be much more stable and durable, and also enables you to place the drilling holes for the brackets just as low near the violin top as they belong. This will add some more stability and you don't have to overtighten the screws which might cause damage to your spruce top, no matter how thick the padding will be. If not for the look, it does not matter which type of hard wood you prefere to use, as long as it is easy enough to carve. For a job like that you don't have to be an extraordinary skilled craftsman like Fox, but if you might consider completely making a whole CR on your own, he's the man you should talk to.

February 1, 2017 at 09:47 PM · I bought a 35 mm high Teka rest from a seller on Ebay. "Mucho fino violins" I think the name was (no affiliation). Quite cheap too. Last time I wanted to buy from him he wouldn't ship to Sweden anymore, but if you are in the US you may be in luck...

February 1, 2017 at 11:38 PM · A violinist in a local community orchestra has a Kreddle Adjustable Violin Chinrest that would probably do what you want and it is adjustable to just about any height you might want.

February 2, 2017 at 04:52 AM · I recently started using a Kreddle and I really like it. It can go very high but like any high chinrest, it may not fit in your case. You can pretty quickly remove it though if you don't want to change your case.

February 2, 2017 at 08:40 AM · Did I hear my name? I feel so special! :)

For a quick fix I would go with the suggestion of adding material to the base of your existing already tall chinrest, but ultimately I would too recommend the guys at chinrests.com because while they are pricey, they will build it to measure to fit your jaw.

I could consider carving you one but I'm in the middle of some home renovations and moving my workshop so all projects are on hold until that gets done.

February 2, 2017 at 05:13 PM · Hey thanks. I have found another Dutch vendor who offers chin rests at varying heights(till 41mm). This is their site

https://www.bertboonviolins.com/en/chinrests-raised-wood/2241-chinrest-raised.html#/169-version-ebony/241-model-teka/437-attachment-23_mm_violin_standard/428-height-41_mm_

Is there a procedure to estimate the height of the chin rest that you will need for playing comfortably.

February 5, 2017 at 01:56 PM · Guatam - I measured the space between my jaw and my old chin rest and that gave me an idea of what space I needed to fill. I also rolled up a towel and put it on the chinrest and played with it to get the right height and then measured the total height chinrest + towel. Also, if you put cork in between the chin rest and violin you can experiment that way. Once you have an idea or you can order one or two and try them out. Initially I had 45mm and I can still use it but I think it was too tall and so now I play with 35mm which seems about right. so you could start with 35mm.

thanks for sharing the link to bert boon violins, his look nice. Mine have come from SAS and ebay. I realize that I like a deeper indentation on my chinrest and the impressionist gadget really makes it comfortable. I might order one from bert boon to see how I like it. it'd be prettier than 5cm of cork. :)

February 5, 2017 at 03:53 PM · Michael, I have ordered the 41mm Teka from Bert boon. Will update after trying it out.

February 5, 2017 at 10:20 PM · @Fox - Honour to whom honour is due!

@George - I also use a Kreddle and it's a fantastic tool to find out which CR specifications fit your anatomy and playing style best. I'd like the plateau a little larger and more contured, but I can very well live with it. The lowest level is already quite high in comparison to most of the usual chinrests. The design is practical, but not really beautiful. Although it's not cheap at all, I'd consider it very well worth the money and I do highly recommend it to anybody in doubt of his setup or with neck pains because it gives so many opportunities to individualize the position, height and even angle of the CR plateau. Since I use it, it also has become surprisingly easy to durch the SR (which 50% of the time I still use...). I'm still experimenting, but once I've permanently found my ideal position (which also depends a little bit on whether I'm going to hang on with the SR or not, which I haven't decided yet) I'll go for a bespoken CR (mainly because of aesthetical reasons.

There is australian guy doing tutorials and tomfoolery, named Eddy Chen. His postings are to find on YouTube and his own website www.eddychenviolin.com. He uses a CR which also seems to be height-adjustable and still is quite decent-looking. Unfortunately he can't give any details about it because it was given to him as a present years ago and he knows nothing about it. Does anybody recognize the model and knows where one might get one?

February 5, 2017 at 10:26 PM · To avoid the obligatory following discussions on the SR topic, I'd like to add that without a SR I still have to lift my shoulder at least a little bit, especially when doing a larger vibrato or when downshifting. It's not a big deal, but I'd like to get rid of that too before I'm feeling like completely going restless..

February 6, 2017 at 12:11 AM · I tried SAS chinrest before. One problem I had was that the thing was so tall, it wouldn't let me close the case. I returned it within hours.

February 6, 2017 at 05:03 AM · Having a really tall chinrest does limit my choice in cases! They always have to be those that have a... I call it 'hollow box lid', because if they have any shapes or anything more than a little cushion over where the chinrest sits, it won't fit!

February 7, 2017 at 04:08 PM · But a 41mm high Teka would fit in a Bobelock case, right?

February 7, 2017 at 09:03 PM · It should fit, yes.

February 8, 2017 at 01:38 AM · Gautam, I know this is after the fact, as you have already ordered a new chin rest, but I wanted to ask if you are playing in a bite (teeth together), or with slightly open jaw (teeth slightly apart)? This makes a big difference in the height of chinrest you need, as dropping your lower jaw slightly will eliminate the need for a very high chinrest.

February 8, 2017 at 07:40 AM · Erin, that is an interesting question

I have a very long neck like Hilary Hahn and have to tilt my head down if I were to rest my chin on the chin rest. The added pressure from my head (in order to secure the violin firmly) makes it impossible for me to play with an open jaw. This is inclusive of the shoulder rest. Without the same, I would have to tilt my head way down. Although I don't bite my teeth together, my lips are closed whilst playing. I could consider increasing the distance between the shoulder rest and the violin, but then I will have to lift my arm (while bowing), which again adds unnecessary strain to my hand.

February 8, 2017 at 03:40 PM · I have a long neck too, and I find I can secure the violin more firmly when I lower my head with a slightly open jaw (closed mouth). Teeth are not far enough apart to get anything thru-- even a toothpick-- but the difference between tightly shut and slightly open jaw is about .5 centimeter. BTW I use a Götz center mount chinrest.

February 8, 2017 at 03:40 PM · duplicate post

February 8, 2017 at 04:09 PM · Another option is to switch to viola. Ribs are tall enough, so you would not need a monster CR!

February 8, 2017 at 05:01 PM · Yes rocky, no monster CR, just the monster instrument.

February 10, 2017 at 10:34 PM · Another question: Have you tried a high center-mount chinrest in the place of your regular chinrest (NOT mounted over the tailpiece)? Some center mount rests are quite high, and they can be mounted where you want, not necessarily over the tailpiece.

February 11, 2017 at 04:25 AM · The flesch centre-mount with tge hump is great for what Erin mentioned above, provided you don't have too prominent a jaw.

February 18, 2017 at 10:25 PM · Gautam - did you get your chinrest yet? I haven't ordered mine yet, but plan to do so real soon. I switched back and forth between a center mounted and a side mounted one and I'm pretty sure I prefer the center mounted chinrest so I think I will order that. Which model/wood did you order?

February 18, 2017 at 10:54 PM · Gautam's thread continues here:

http://www.violinist.com/discussion/response.cfm?ID=29071

February 19, 2017 at 04:16 AM · Michael, I ordered the 41mm Teka ebony chin rest. The quality is great but it turned out high for me when used along with the shoulder rest. I didn't realise that until I started getting pain on my back neck. On the other hand, the 41mm was shorter for me without the shoulder rest. But I have never been comfortable with sponges and cloth especially while shifting, and will need my SR. I guess a 23-25mm Guarneri with my Pirastro Korfkerrest will suit me perfectly.

Here is a pic of the chin rest. You can also get it on boxwood or rosewood. Moreover, if you have a short arm, go for the centre mounted flesch chin rest else go for a side mounted chin rest like Teka or Guarneri.

IMG_0734

IMG_0735

February 19, 2017 at 09:10 AM · Guatam, thanks for posting the photos and info on your chinrest. You don't say how tall you are or how large is the gap between the chinrest and your chin. If you feel comfortable posting a photo, I think you could get some helpful advice.

I'm 6'2" / 1.87m with a long neck. I find 35mm to be about right for now. My 45mm SAS seems too high for me and I don't use it any more (I used it for over 1 year). So your 41mm seems high to me, but that's without knowing your height or neck length.

I've tried 35mm chinrests on the left of the tailpiece and centered but slightly left. I am really thin and my shoulders slope off quickly. I feel when I have the chinrest on the left, the violin is titled more and feels like it'll fall off. With the center-mounted chinrest, I can put it a little higher, it's less tilted, and feels more comfortable. But I'm not sure about all that. Here is an interesting page that discusses this:

http://www.violinistinbalance.nl/cup.htm

I have about 5 chinrests from 25-45mm. It's taken time to narrow it down to what works best. I would like to try 35mm Teka and Flesh from Burt Boon and I think one of those would work well for me. There is a lot of trial and error. I figure I can ebay the ones I don't want to keep.

February 19, 2017 at 09:13 AM · One more thing..

If your 41mm chinrest is too tall, is it possible to lower your shoulder rest a little?

I set my shoulder rests so that the left screw is as short as possible to keep the violin as close to the collarbone as possible. I set the right screw to be as tall as possible to keep the violin from tilting and "falling off". And finally I got a bon musica for the hook over the shoulder which keeps it from falling off. The bon musica is heavy and like a tank, but it has really helped with the stability.

February 19, 2017 at 10:41 AM · My chin to collarbone distance is around 8-10cm and the shoulder rest is as short as possible. I've watched almost all videos on posture and here is what I got wrong. You are supposed to place the violin 45 degrees to your left while you are standing straight with your shoulders relaxed. You will then need to tilt your head a bit left and place your left jaw on the chin rest. It is so weird that they call it chin rest while in fact it should be called a jaw rest.

But I have been keeping the chin rest as close to my neck and chin. i.e. the violin is completely straight from me (0 degrees) . I am able to rest my chin/jaw in this case but I get some weird back neck pain after playing for 20-30 minutes. I tried a 30mm teka before and still had the neck pain. My current 20mm Teka doesn't give me a neck pain but is smaller. A 23-25mm Guarneri should do the job.

February 19, 2017 at 04:17 PM · That is one way to hold it, the currently acceptable and approved approach. It favours a physique of appropriate proportions and shoulder complex of a certain contour.

The other aspect of chin rest design largely ignored is it's cup depth and/or tilt angle. Most chinrests are shallow and flat. There was a time when most chinrests angled downward, from lower bout to bridge, which allows the head and neck to pull forward and up (crown up, as in Alexander Technique), so that you could indeed hold with the chin. The turning and side bending (using only weight of the head it is suggested; try ingraining that for someone whose fiddle is constantly sliding off the collar, a result which is as much, I would argue mostly, due to the shape of the collar as it is with shape of chinrest) is not without its own problems for some people.

February 19, 2017 at 04:28 PM · This is a good point Jeewon. I use "the impressionist" which allows a custom fit, which for me means a deeper cup. I love mine.

February 19, 2017 at 05:10 PM · Ah, I see you've already brought up depth and contour. I'm currently using a custom cup attached to a Teka I lopped off. I've been meaning to have it carved out of wood, matching contour and angles but haven't gotten around to it. I used Amaco Friendly Plastic Pellets which I think is the same stuff as Impressionist. You can get dyes to colour it. Aside from a little guilt about eventually adding more plastic into the environment, so far it's been the best solution to my setup, along with the Wittner Isney. For me, because I turn my head frequently depending on context, I found a contour too closely matched to chin and jaw was restricting, so I gradually sculpted a shape using plasticine and overlayed the Friendly. Not perfect yet, but very usable.

February 26, 2017 at 04:49 AM · Someone else was asking about a high chinrest so if it is OK with you I will repeat what I told him. I played the violin while in school and gave it up after graduation. I picked it up again after 44 years. I was 62. I have a long neck so it was quite uncomfortable having to bend my head down to hold my violin in place. I found a website where they make the chinrests in three different heights, 1 inch (25.4 mm), 1 1/4 inch (31.75 mm) and 1 1/2 (38.1 mm). I bought the tallest one. I love it, the left side slightly curves to match the jaw so the chinrest does not cut across it and dig into my jaw. It is very comfortable. The website is www.wavechinrest.com. Randall Olson is the gentleman that makes them and he was very helpful in finding what would work best for me. Check him out if you are still looking for something. I also use a tall foam pad as a shoulder rest. Good luck in your search.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe