20th-21st century student repertoire!

January 30, 2017 at 10:18 PM · I'm looking to broaden my mid-to-upper intermediate teaching repertoire, especially with 20th century and modern works. I've been scanning YouTube and the rep lists from Zweig, Sassmanhaus, etc. but would love to hear what you've played or taught, and if you've especially enjoyed specific works for specific purposes. I'd especially love 21st century stuff--there seems to be a dearth of well-composed music for student levels. I'm thinking specifically of the range between Bach double and Mozart but certainly open!

In my library so far--not much; Bartok folk dances, Perlman Israeli concertino, Kroll Banjo and Fiddle :) In my shopping cart: Persichetti Masques, Bacewicz concertino, Hovhaness Lullaby, Bartok evening in the village. I would like to pick up Butterfly Lovers Concerto but none of my usual sources seem to carry the sheet music.

Welcoming your ideas and opinions!

Replies (20)

January 30, 2017 at 10:29 PM · The Bartok duets come to mind. If you are open to arranging, he also wrote Mikrokosmos for piano, and this starts from the very beginning.

January 30, 2017 at 11:47 PM · I'm about to do the Kabalevsky Concerto.

Barber Concerto

Kchaturian Concerto

January 31, 2017 at 01:27 AM · Hindemith Sonata -- more toward the Mozart 3 end of your spectrum, definitely harder than Bach Double. Not as hard as Barber or Khachaturian.

January 31, 2017 at 02:27 AM · Which one is that?

January 31, 2017 at 02:30 AM · Look at music by Bohuslav Martinu; a student level sonatina, several chamber pieces, and more.

January 31, 2017 at 03:53 AM · I just performed Schnittke's Suite in the Old Style (1972), which is squarely intermediate level other than one tricky unison. It's Baroque-pastiche music for film and TV, arranged into a suite for violin and piano. Fun to play and not at all what you might expect from Schnittke.

I'm about to perform Stravinsky's Suite Italienne (1934). The movements within that vary substantially in difficulty. Several are readily playable by an intermediate-level player. There's a somewhat trickier last movement, but I think the whole thing is playable by someone who could do the Bruch concerto.

Shostakovich's Romance from the Gadfly (1955) is probably playable by a student at the Thais Meditation level, especially since it's usually transcribed into a more friendly key than the original movie score.

January 31, 2017 at 04:16 AM · Hooray for Schnittke-- What a great suggestion!

January 31, 2017 at 04:29 AM · Thanks guys! Yes, the students I have in mind at the moment are more Bach a/Haydn G/Accolay level, but I'm loving the range! Schnittke sounds like a good one for my immediate list. I do have the Bartok duets, though I didn't play them as a student and should spend some time looking over them. I think some of those would work for a range of levels as well. Kabalevsky is on my short list. I've seen Martinu on rep lists but never heard them; will check out. Also for anyone else looking at this thread: Elgar, Salud d'Amour; and I'm interested in the series Violin Music by Women ed. Cora Cooper, as well as What's New vol. 2 ed. Rebecca Henry and Mimi Zweig. I have vol. 1 and it's fabulous, contemporary duets and ensembles for more early intermediate students.

January 31, 2017 at 04:43 AM · Paul, which Hindemith were you thinking might be accessible? There are six on imslp--I don't think I'm technically copyright legal to download all of them to check out :)

January 31, 2017 at 05:05 AM · For duets, also try Shostakovich's 5 Pieces for 2 Violins and Piano. Intermediate level.

January 31, 2017 at 05:36 AM · I meant the Hindemith Op. 31 No. 2.

Moszkowski Spanish Dances are nice too.

January 31, 2017 at 08:38 AM · I also have the Butterfly Lovers'Concerto on my to-play list.

I just got it from:

http://imslp.org/wiki/Butterfly_Lovers_Violin_Concerto_(Chen,_Gang)

Includes separate violin part, and all the composers instructions (I hope you have a friend who knows Mandarin Chinese!). :)

January 31, 2017 at 11:32 AM · John Williams' pieces from Schindlers List. They look solidly intermediate-level, but are actually a little more difficult than that. (For the first one you certainly want a student who can handle fifths on the same string without being spooked by it)

January 31, 2017 at 12:29 PM · My teacher used material arranged and composed by Martin Georg Keller. You'll find easy, lyrical and slow pieces, but also a lot of music using advanced techniqes like double and triple stops, pizz, saltato, interesting and unusual rhythms to be played "con brio".

The short pieces are also suitable as encores after a recital and while you will be able to learn (or teach) many techniques, they never feel or sound like etudes. The original sheet music is with German text, but the composer's website also supplies English and French explanations.

January 31, 2017 at 05:10 PM · I don't think the Butterfly Lovers Concerto is in the same technical range as the Doc Bubble and the Accolay (Inaccurolay) Concerto.

January 31, 2017 at 09:58 PM · Cool guys. Paul thanks, I will look up the Hindemith. I think you are right about Butterfly vs accolay :D Not familiar with Moskowski but I think I might have something from him in a compilation, will check it out.

Chris yes, I have Williams' Sabrina and Tango arrangements and they are fabulous! but a little much yet for most of my students. I don't have the Schindler's list set though. Good idea!

Lydia yes I forgot about those! They are going in my cart for sure!

Juergenn I have never heard of him, but sounds fun!

Thanks all for the recommendations! Keeep 'em coming!

January 31, 2017 at 10:05 PM · A question on the Butterfly concerto. What level should it be at? Mozart? Bruch? Medelson?

February 1, 2017 at 04:15 AM · It's at least Bruch level.

February 1, 2017 at 12:32 PM · Two great pieces of early 20th C repertoire I've only recently come across is Lili Boulanger Deux Morceaux. Link below

http://imslp.org/wiki/2_Pieces_for_Violin_and_Piano_(Boulanger,_Lili)

February 3, 2017 at 03:07 AM · 21st century, Solitude by Perrault- intermediate level, the sheet music can be found in the RCM Grade 8 Violin Repertoire 2013. It's a gorgeous piece however it looks easier than it is. This piece is the same level as the Accolay A minor and Haydn G

Link to the music online for free: https://www.musiccentre.ca/node/141291

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe