Johann Gottlob Ficker Violin?

January 4, 2017 at 01:29 AM · I received a Johann Gottlob Ficker violin from my teacher. It was made in 1797 and it is a old german violin. For anyone whos tried or has one of these violins, any opinions?

Replies (23)

January 4, 2017 at 02:48 AM · Most of these labels would be fake, it is important that you get it verified by a real expert. For instance it should have a genuine neck scroll graft or original baroque neck, and even with that it may still be fake.

January 4, 2017 at 03:45 AM · Any signs that its real?

January 4, 2017 at 04:48 AM · You'd have to link to pictures, but a real expert could tell, though possibly not by only pictures.

As I said, though, if its a modern setup it should have a genuine neck scroll graft, or less common a genuine heel graft.

Ficker(II) is a Markneukirchen maker and the later "copies" would also be Markneukirchen, so it is going to be hard to just look for Markneukirchen features as both originals and copies will have those same features.

January 4, 2017 at 04:59 AM · An original 1797 Markneukirchen neck would have a one piece neck top block, the neck would not be morticed into the top but rather extending up above the top flush with the ribs, and continueing inside the violin in place of a top block. If it is morticed into the top like a modern neck with a seperate top block it would have to have a neck graft to be original IMHO

January 4, 2017 at 05:05 AM · If you send detailed quality pictures to Jacob Saunders in Austria, he should be able to tell you if its real or not, if you're nice to him!!! He's one of the top experts on these types of violins.

http://www.geigenbau-saunders.at/en/

January 4, 2017 at 02:55 PM · Thanks

January 4, 2017 at 03:07 PM · Sorry to be so pessimistic, but I see this quite often, a customer just brought in a violin with an Aegidus Kloz in Mittenwald label, with papers from a defunct LA shop from the 60s saying it was real and genuine, he even took it to a shop in LA recently that told him it was a $3900 violin, needing $1000-$1500 in work. $300 later at my shop it was completely restored and set up including a new fingerboard, bridge etc to get the bridge height correct. It was not Mittenwald at all, all the features pointed to the less prominent Markneukirchen region, and the label itself was hand written, not printed, seeming to indicate it may have even been made and inserted by the 60s shop that gave it the glowing appraisal. My appraisal; worth about $2000 and mid 1800s not mid 1700s. Still a nice violin with a decent sound.

January 5, 2017 at 01:19 AM · Alright I'm pretty sure its real but I'll ask my teacher

January 5, 2017 at 02:43 AM · Your teacher is not going to be an expert, although they may have talked to one.

January 5, 2017 at 03:25 AM · The bridge says Perrin Violins, and thats 4 hours from where I live so I'll take it there one day and ask if its real

January 5, 2017 at 03:32 AM · Does it have a neck scroll graft, a fine join visible between the neck and the pegbox showing that its made of two pieces not one. As I said if it doesn't have that its not looking good no matter what some shop or teacher might say.

January 5, 2017 at 03:33 AM · Did you pay money for this violin, if so, how much??

January 5, 2017 at 03:37 AM · I say this because if its real it may be worth roughly $7000, if its fake maybe $1000 or $1500 if it sounds good and is in good shape.

January 5, 2017 at 03:45 AM · link example of neck scroll graft

(click on)

January 5, 2017 at 04:39 AM · Another thing you have to watch out for, especially on the Markneukirchen copies is what's known as a fake neck scroll graft, lines are scored in the wood right where the join would be of a genuine neck scroll graft, but when you look closely, you will see the grain lines of the wood continuing right across the "joins" showing that the neck and the pegbox are just one solid piece of wood, not two like a genuine neck scroll graft. You see a lot of these misrepresented as real on ebay, for example.

January 5, 2017 at 03:22 PM · I checked and there is a two piece neck graff. I did not pay for the violin, my teacher played on it when she was young and grew up with it. There is bushing in the pegs and I know the violin is old for a fact.

January 5, 2017 at 09:09 PM · Well that is a good sign, means it is possibly real.

January 5, 2017 at 10:43 PM · So in the label this is what it says:

Johann Gottlob Ficker, Vi**no

Corre(f or s)pontent Romani Cremona, 93.

* J:G:F *

Can someone translate? Was it made in Germany or Italy?

January 6, 2017 at 12:27 AM · Markneukirchen Germany, at least according to my reference book.

January 6, 2017 at 02:43 AM · Several German makers mentioned Cremona on their labels but were still made in Germany.

January 6, 2017 at 03:24 AM · oh ok thanks.

January 6, 2017 at 04:57 AM · How do you like the violin, I know you were searching for a good violin, is there potential to buy this one or is it just a loaner.

January 8, 2017 at 05:49 PM · Ah ok. Thats what I thought

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition
ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

AVIVA Young Artist Program

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe