What is the single most unpardonable and gravest sin in violin playing

December 29, 2016 at 05:06 PM · Feel free to share your experience and thoughts

Replies (40)

December 29, 2016 at 05:15 PM · Not wiping the rosin off your violin after you have finished practising/playing.

December 29, 2016 at 05:41 PM · Not listening to yourself.

December 29, 2016 at 07:06 PM · Using a shoulder rest...whoops, not using a shoulder rest?

December 29, 2016 at 07:15 PM · Hitting your stand partner with your bow.

December 29, 2016 at 07:31 PM · Drowning even J.S.Bach in Schmalz. (In a neighbour thread we might call ist "Rieu-ing"?)

December 29, 2016 at 07:41 PM · Passing gas at the last line of your duet piece at first your performance, having audiences chuckle as you finish your piece.

December 29, 2016 at 07:43 PM · Not practicing?

December 29, 2016 at 07:52 PM · Playing viola?

December 29, 2016 at 08:04 PM · What Yixi said. This also relates to playing with less than your full emotional spectrum.

If you have chosen such a vocal instrument, you strive to sing with all the nuances used in actual singing (including slides and unusual timbres/effects). :)

December 29, 2016 at 08:22 PM · Not really caring.

December 29, 2016 at 09:03 PM · Laughing out loud at Bruce Berg's comment!

December 29, 2016 at 11:12 PM · Using the wrong rosin.

December 29, 2016 at 11:21 PM · Eating Cheetos/pizza/finger-food and reaching for someone's violin (or any violin!) without washing your hands!

December 29, 2016 at 11:40 PM · Playing a piece obviously too difficult for one's skill level in a recital.

December 29, 2016 at 11:52 PM · Fox - that's it! Schmalzing Bach to death with greasy sticky pizza fingers! (Wasn't there some nightmares-involving-a-violin-thread around recently? Maybe I'll join in tomorrow...)

December 30, 2016 at 01:43 AM · Exploiting your spawn's robotic interpretation of Flight of the Bumblebee on the Ellen deGeneres show, or equivalent tv/news program, and claiming it is the ultimate telltale sign of future violinistic longevity, earth shattering genius, and unrivaled precocity.

December 30, 2016 at 05:11 AM · Bowing too hard (or too quickly).

December 30, 2016 at 07:37 AM · Playing wrong rhythms and not knowing that you played them wrong in the first place.

December 30, 2016 at 10:50 AM · Not noticing the difference between D-flat and C-sharp, or between the E in the key of C and the E in the key of A, etc.

December 30, 2016 at 12:31 PM · A boring performance.

December 30, 2016 at 01:07 PM · Doing playback... Instant permanent disrespect earned for life.

Or playing a piece with lack of respect. Or daring to play a viola. Or playing by memory all your repertoire, lol, we hate you.

December 30, 2016 at 01:40 PM · "The single most unpardonable and gravest sin in violin playing" is playing more than one of the above sins in the same performance.

December 30, 2016 at 02:55 PM · Talking during the performance.

By audience member(s).

December 30, 2016 at 03:08 PM · Not tuning up before playing ? Ignoring the oboe "A" at orchestral events & playing concerto passages fortissimo and SHARP whilst everyone else is trying to tune up....... AAARRGH !!

December 30, 2016 at 03:12 PM · Throwing shade on a gig because you feel threatened. YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE...YEAH YOU! Then again someone once told me that when you point a finger at someone there are three pointing right back at you so I try to be respectful and gracious on gigs.

December 30, 2016 at 05:01 PM · 'Throwing shade on a gig ' : What does that mean ?

December 30, 2016 at 11:00 PM · Playing the cadenza of the Glazunov concerto like Aaron Rosand did during a commercial recording session break (that I was on), while smiling at the fawning lesser fiddlers who wanted to be rehired by him, since he was also the contractor.

December 31, 2016 at 07:21 PM · Leaving your lit cigarette burning in one of the F holes?

Going three minutes in a violin conversation without mentioning Heifetz?

More seriously, I agree with Maurice and Yixi.

January 1, 2017 at 12:23 AM · Worst I've ever seen at a lesson. Some idiot with an old chromatic 'strobe' tuner/metronome leaving it on during practice driving us all nuts with the light flashing every few seconds ...

January 1, 2017 at 02:30 PM · Playing out of tune. You wouldn't think I'd have to say this, but I do.

January 1, 2017 at 06:54 PM · The people who don't watch their conductor for cues... Nothing worse in orchestra than that.

January 1, 2017 at 09:19 PM · I'd say what is even worse is the conductor who doesn't have eye contact with the section before giving the cue, thus giving the cue as the section starts playing. If some of the section are watching the conductor for the cue, then you can imagine the muddy result.

It is more important IMHO to watch your section leader. Bow and hand placements by a good leader are there for the section to see so that they are able to ready themselves before the conductor gives the cue.

January 1, 2017 at 11:35 PM · Sloppiness. Sloppy intonation, sloppy rhythm, sloppy musicality, sloppy attention to dynamic markings. Players who do one of these usually do them all.

January 2, 2017 at 12:08 AM · A word about sloppiness -- to some degree that's in the eye of the beholder. One of the great reasons to study the violin early in life is because it teaches concentration and multitasking. "Sloppiness" can happen if one has reached ones limits thereof.

January 2, 2017 at 12:31 AM · "Sloppiness" can happen if one has reached ones limits thereof.

I'm German. I don't accept that :)

January 2, 2017 at 04:47 AM · Not caring enough to do your best for every audience, regardless of circumstances.

January 3, 2017 at 11:02 AM · being cold

January 3, 2017 at 09:00 PM · Going sharp on a high trill. There are some recordings of Lalo's Symphonie Espagnole where those trills in the last movement are as dreadful as some operatic sopranos' vibrato.

January 3, 2017 at 10:54 PM · There may be something worse than doing a bean burrito toot during a period of both ensemble and audience silence, but I can't come up with one right now.

That's why unrelentingly loud rock concerts are so popular. ;-)

January 4, 2017 at 07:25 AM · Forget the bean burrito - TOOT-ling in the bandroom can be VERY IRRITATING. Showing off with concerto excerpts before going onto the platform is nearly (but not quite) as annoying as are those oboe players who spend hours in there scraping reeds then squeaking them at regular intervals to check their progress....

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe