What's your guilty pleasure music?

December 12, 2016 at 08:30 PM · I realize that by asking "What's your guilty pleasure music?" some of the answers are going to cite incredibly difficult music. Actually, I'm wondering what others like to play just for themselves and their own enjoyment without trying to impress anyone.

For me it is Episcopal Hymnody - I like to open the hymnal and just play some music. Perhaps for you it's Show Tunes, or Beatles, or...

So, without trying to show off - What's your favorite guilty pleasure music?

Replies (37)

December 12, 2016 at 08:32 PM · Sleigh Ride. Serious trombone envy!

Actually, I don't feel guilty about liking any music, but I know what you meant. :)

December 12, 2016 at 08:35 PM · Schmaltzy slow stuff. Meditation from Thais, that kind of thing. I play through it when I should be working on Mozart 5. :(

December 12, 2016 at 10:28 PM · Playing viola, eh?

December 12, 2016 at 10:43 PM · Celtic but I don't really know why. The range of emotion ?

December 13, 2016 at 12:02 AM · Improvising. Perhaps pieces I teach myself. It's not like improvising and teaching myself pieces is a bad thing, but sometimes I play random notes in the middle of practice, which wastes my time.

December 13, 2016 at 01:06 AM · Disney music and Scottish tunes. Go figure..

December 13, 2016 at 01:15 AM · lately it has been my first ever etude book - wohlfahrt.

December 13, 2016 at 01:19 AM · Hilarious that anyone would think improvising is "guilty," haha! It's actually pretty difficult to do well.

December 13, 2016 at 01:30 AM · I agree, one should not feel guilty for any type of music they listen to. Hate when others make judgements on people they don't know anything about based on music taste ("you listen to that garbage!?" Elitism and arrogance sucks.)

Though for my beloved instrument, I stick to Classical. I don't believe in "serious music" vs show pieces vs schmaltz classical-music is music (in fact, I love the virtuoso repertoire quite a bit.)

December 13, 2016 at 02:45 AM · Playing high up on a string when not required. :)

December 13, 2016 at 03:11 AM · ABBA! (Go figure!)

December 13, 2016 at 03:24 AM · Raphael is probably talking about the palindromic form of Mahler's 19th symphony ...

December 13, 2016 at 02:15 PM · I like going for ear worm type melodies. I play random selections from my copy of O'Neill's Music of Ireland. Has 1850 Irish melodies in standard notation. I just pick one that appeals at the moment and play. I have my favorites so when I really need a bit of easy satisfaction I play my favs. Very easy to get lost and spend a whole afternoon in this massive book. It's all good.

December 13, 2016 at 02:26 PM · Liturgical chants. It has helped my intonation.

I will sing along in Latin only when no one else is around. It reminds me of a simpler time, well over half a century ago.

December 13, 2016 at 02:34 PM · Liturgical chants, eh? Go crazy! ;)

This thread is so funny. Is Wohlfahrt really as naughty as it gets on v.com? LOL Not that I'm any better. I'm sure I could come up with something a lot guiltier than Leroy Anderson if I tried. Of course, the question was about what you play yourself, not what you listen to. So that removes a lot of the "guilty" right there.

December 13, 2016 at 06:53 PM · Tchaikovsky 1st movement. It's quite nostalgic for me since it was the first non-student repertoire that I have listened to during my early stages of my training.

December 14, 2016 at 01:48 PM · Elvis - and I can do a good Elvis. Thank you very much!

December 14, 2016 at 06:57 PM · Do you mean guilty as in you'd be slightly embarrassed to tell anyone? I like some Justin Beiber... omg, please don't ban me. Looks might play a factor in that guilty pleasure. haha.

December 14, 2016 at 09:18 PM · This is quite interesting - glad I started the thread. As to why I called this "Guilty Pleasures" -- many people (non musicians, students, family members, et cetera) sometimes expect that we are always deeply immersed in the most difficult music. So, perhaps we don't like to talk about what we play simply for our own reasons.

I guess the adage: "If it sounds good, it is good!" applies to all of us. As I type this I'm about to get in my daily practice and it will include a handful of Advent & Christmas tunes from the Episcopal Hymnal as well as the stuff that I'm teaching and the general exercises that I do daily.

I will be thinking of Raphael playing "Love Me Tender" or "Mama Mia!" and wondering how did Sarah transpose Sleigh Ride for solo violin. Perhaps I might dig out my copy of Wolfhart etudes - I know I've got one somewhere in the music cabinet.

December 14, 2016 at 11:57 PM · >Perhaps for you it's Show Tunes, or Beatles, or...

How can Beatles be a GUILTY pleasure? These guys were good, very good I think - altought a bit overrated in popular culture imho.

Now THIS is a guity pleasure

December 15, 2016 at 09:21 AM · I watched the whole thing : I did not see any violins at all !

December 15, 2016 at 11:50 AM · Neil Diamond, i.e. "You don't bring me flowers"

December 15, 2016 at 01:32 PM · T-ARA! I think we have a new winner! Demian, you made my morning!

December 15, 2016 at 03:45 PM · Haha, I didn't transpose Sleigh Ride for solo violin. I meant I still enjoy playing it in orchestra, while everyone else complains. :)

December 15, 2016 at 09:15 PM · When I'm with my classical buddies, my guilty pleasure is bluegrass music. When I'm with the grassers, it's classical music (plus I sometimes bring my viola and instead of playing lonesome train sounds I give them a ferryboat horn).

December 16, 2016 at 03:29 PM · Ervin Rouse is the fiddler in this duet with harmonica of the Orange Blossom Special. True Kentucky Bluegrass Style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cUtllMYM2g

December 16, 2016 at 08:51 PM · None of these seems nearly "guilty" or embarrassing enough. I mean let's just go there! Can anybody possibly top this: Andy Williams singing a medley of "Age of Aquarius" and "Let the Sunshine In" with the Osmond brothers. Behold:

https://youtu.be/L1S2kLTaUrM

My grandmother had this album ("Get Together with Andy Williams) when I was a toddler and played it for me constantly. I ADORED it. I can't help but still smile when I hear it, even though I now understand the over-the-top irony of a crooner and group of Mormon children singing a medley from Hair, a 1960s hippie musical that just may not stand the test of time... It's also really a remake of a medley made popular by The 5th Dimension. I mean, the "uncool" meter on this is just off the charts.

But I mean all that brass!

December 16, 2016 at 10:12 PM · Not so much guilty but pure escape, I sit and play the blues.

December 17, 2016 at 03:04 AM · I'll occasionally pull out Meditation from Thais to clear my mind, but mostly I enjoy improvising. Something is so much more personal about just letting your emotion fuel your fingers and letting the notes just come to you.

December 21, 2016 at 04:04 AM · I like playing random snippets of Paganini with improvised fingerings (including which position and string(s) I'm on at the time) a la Paganini. :)

December 21, 2016 at 05:01 PM · Thank you, Laurie, for at least trying to up the "guilty" factor! Lol! Here I was thinking my "guilty" is more like, should I feel guilty about loving Ludacris, or should he be counted among the ranks of legitimately classic hip-hop? Jury's still out for me...

December 22, 2016 at 10:32 PM · Andy Williams and the Osmond Brothers? How about Pat Boone doing "Stairway to Heaven"? No, really, he did this and others on an album titled "In a Metal Mood".

OK, when I'm with the bluegrassers the real guilty pleasure is when a few of us sneak off to a little room upstairs and play '40s swing tunes.

December 23, 2016 at 06:17 PM · Spending time on v.com instead of practicing!

December 24, 2016 at 05:30 AM · Spending time doing anything to avoid practicing...

December 26, 2016 at 07:27 PM · Trying to imitate Elvino Vardaro playing tangos.

December 26, 2016 at 08:14 PM · Andre Rieu, of course :) And I have grey hairs - that's playing the age card.

December 26, 2016 at 09:04 PM · Early etudes. I have been warming up with a different Kayser etude each day......it takes me back to my dreamy pre-teen days: I was practicing while mom was making dinner.....

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe