A Shout Out To...

December 10, 2016 at 07:58 AM · Laurie Niles - I'm so glad to find a forum where people are generally very well mannered, where so much great info can be found on the subject of violins, and where so many great & interesting discussions can take place. The blog feature is also very nice. Your front page articles are also very interesting and so enjoyable. Thank you so much.

Andrew Victor - I have to say that I really enjoy reading your contributions to this forum. Your comments are always very thoughtful and enlightening. As a new violin student I've also found that hearing your experiences has been very helpful.

To everyone - I'd like to hear about the people who's contributions to this site you really appreciate. Please share.

Replies (35)

December 10, 2016 at 03:23 PM · Good to hear that Buri is still here.

December 10, 2016 at 06:35 PM · Yes Leif, this is a wonderful site for learning about violins. The best luthiers in the world offer their tips and suggestions to people's questions as well the best players from around the world give advice on practice and technique. I would like to mention names but it would be such a huge list. I am so appreciative of the help freely given here, I wish that I had this resource available to me as a kid.

December 10, 2016 at 11:06 PM · Thank you, Leif, and I'd have to give a shout out to everyone who makes it possible, with both their curiosity and their expertise!

December 11, 2016 at 12:06 AM · It is a wonderful site for us violinists (and for us violists as well). However, Leif, how you will feel after a full-out rumble over the issue of whether you should or should not use a shoulder rest remains to be seen. in the meantime, welcome to the nice world that Laurie offers us all.

December 11, 2016 at 02:56 AM · You're right about Andrew -- he's a rare treasure.

I've been to other string-player sites (for cello and bass) and they're not nearly as user-friendly as v.com.

And Laurie -- thank you thank you thank you for NOT making us "log in using Facebook."

December 11, 2016 at 05:59 AM · TThank you to Burien for his wit, Trevor on teaching me an easier way tto install a gut E, Lydia for words of encouragement, and also to all my fellow non-sr (and non-cr) users! :)

December 11, 2016 at 01:44 PM · @Paul Deck - agreed on the login issue. I do not use Facebook, so I could not access the site (although, of course, some out there might think that is a blessing (lol)).

December 11, 2016 at 02:17 PM · Thank you Leif, I appreciate hearing that some of my thoughts are useful to others.

My 10th anniversary here at violinist.com is coming up in a few months; it is the music site I joined most recently, I go back almost 17 years on Cello Chat and almost 20 on Maestronet. Over the years I gained a lot of useful information from other people on these sites, but I think Laurie Niles has done an especially fine job with Violinist.com and the various informative messages she frequently publishes.

Andy

December 11, 2016 at 04:30 PM · Yeah, definitely a great site to share violin (and viola) related knowledge with others. That's why I'm here.

December 12, 2016 at 01:52 AM · One good way to "shout out" to Laurie and this site is to give a donation to it. I do so every year, and you should consider it if you really like the site.

December 12, 2016 at 07:32 PM · I love this site. Not a lot excites me more than talking with violinists about violin. I could do that forever. I'd like to give a special shout out to Mary Ellen Goree and Lydia Leong, who spend a lot of their time sharing great information with us.I've learned a lot from them, and really from everyone on this site. Nathan Cole also deserves a special shout out for showing us how violin can be applied to everything in our life, not just music.

December 12, 2016 at 09:08 PM · Yes, this is a wonderful and unique website. To me, it is not just a venue for learning and expanding one's knowledge and broadening one's point of view, but of appreciating the great art of music through the unique voice of the violin.

Appreciation is the term we all use. It means not only respect and understanding, but comprehension of an auditory art that expresses what words can never express.

Perhaps the closest words have ever come, in my opinion, is in my favorite music quote, by Tchaikovsky:

"Music is not illusion. It is, rather, revelation. Its triumphant power is that it reveals to us beauties we find nowhere else. And the apprehension of them is not transitory, but a perpetual reconcilement of life."

Sandy

December 12, 2016 at 09:11 PM · Thank you, Helen. :-)

I especially enjoy reading the thoughts of people for whom the violin is an avocation. That is what I wish for my students.

December 14, 2016 at 04:23 AM · I love to read the practical advice and the hilarious comments from Raphael and Rocky! All of it is so useful and thought provoking. Been out of the violin realm for 13 years and violinist.com is getting the wheels turning and being a great encouragement!

December 14, 2016 at 07:20 AM · my dear friend Rocky.i even send him e-mails and he always helps me and gives me advice patiently.i'm glad to know him.thanks to Violinist.com

secondly Mr.Brivati. except one of my topics we never discuss directly but every time i find one of his comments i become happy.he always introduces some useful books and useful tips.

Mr.Klayman.i never get in a conversation with him before but i follow his advice on different subjects.

Ms.Leong.a truly honest and realistic person and sure about her advice.she answered some of my questions completely and i followed some of her advice on repertoire and other issues.

December 14, 2016 at 08:00 AM · The site celebrates its 20th anniversary this Christmas, any ideas about how to celebrate? :)

December 14, 2016 at 09:23 AM · Couldn't we record a (part of an) orchestra piece for violins and violas only, if such a thing exists (perhaps also cello, although there are not that many cellists here, or am I mistaken about that?) We could divide parts, each record our contribution on a metronome, and then some audio wizard melts all our contributions together. Perhaps this is impossible, just an idea!

December 14, 2016 at 12:29 PM · We could all chip in a few bucks and buy Laurie a nice Amati with Warchal Brilliant strings, a Tourte bow, and a Musafia Master case for a Christmassy 20th anniversary thank you gift.

December 14, 2016 at 12:43 PM · The play-in idea is great. Maybe the first page or so of the Mozart Duos for violin and viola. Kind of intermediate-level stuff.

December 14, 2016 at 01:17 PM · Fiddlerman does this group music all the time at his violin site Fiddlerman.Com. He provides a click track (so all timing is together).

There are more than enough cello players here.

"Buy Laurie a violin",,,,can you just imagine buying her a violin from China? That would be an interesting thread.

My shout out would be to Darlene. Her honest questions brought out several needed (and long) threads about violin issues.

December 14, 2016 at 07:17 PM · How about copy-pasting a group photo?

My avatar is a drawing by Chagal but it is nearer to my real face than many other avatars!

December 15, 2016 at 02:18 AM · so there's this guy that sang and recorded one note every day for a year and spliced it all together to form Bach Suite #1 Prelude.

No click-track required. And everyone, even beginners can contribute a note or two.

December 15, 2016 at 04:55 AM · Jeff, an Amati is a great idea...;) I'm very grateful for the fiddle I have, no need for a new one!

As for a piece we could all play...hmmm, it needs to be something that most people study, that both students and pros could do and would enjoy. Vivaldi A minor concerto? Other ideas?

Maybe I should contact Fiddlerman for help putting that together!

December 15, 2016 at 11:12 AM · I'm hearing a bass line to "Duke of Earl", a guy in the corner playing "Zip a dee do dah", another corner playing "Good Vibrations" and the main thrust being "You'll Never Walk Alone".

December 15, 2016 at 04:37 PM · Pachelbel's Canon.

December 15, 2016 at 07:27 PM · How about some snippets from The Barber of Seville (with all the usual cuts).

December 15, 2016 at 08:31 PM · Pachabel's Canon comes under the heading of Cruel and Unusual Punishment as far as the cellists are concerned.

December 17, 2016 at 12:20 AM · I was thinking of something like this:

December 17, 2016 at 04:04 AM · Wow that is crazy! Maybe we should do more than one note, though?

December 17, 2016 at 10:21 AM · Or The Flight of the Bumble-Bee?

December 17, 2016 at 02:42 PM · Someone could record Paganini's Moto Perpetuo by the note-by-note method. It has about 4000 notes, so it's going to take a lot of patience and time. This could be on a par with a man in England who recently finished running 401 marathons in 401 days for charity, and now admits to having some mental health issues as a result. See http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-38326902. Be warned!

December 17, 2016 at 04:22 PM · A more practical way to record the Moto Perpetuo, or similar piece where most of the notes are of the same length, may to record, each as an individual audio file, the separate notes in the piece from the open G to near the G 4 octaves higher, which would be a database of no more than about 40-50 audio files (making allowances for the occasional note that is not in the key of C, notes longer than a sixteenth note, and perhaps playing the same note on different strings so as to get different tone colours). Then, using the appropriate audio files from the database string them together using an audio editor. There is repetition in the MP, so advantage can be taken of this to cut corners and make reusable subsections.

With this method you can precisely edit each audio file in the database to the exact length you want for the speed (0.1 to 0.083 sec per note would be reasonable), and even provide a very small silence of about 0.03 sec at the end of the note so that it sounds distinct from the next when played. The great advantage is that you will be using a genuine solo violin sound, unlike MIDI where that has not been achieved, or anywhere near close.

This is one way to get away from the Christmas jollities :)

December 17, 2016 at 09:17 PM · Trevor, are you the one who put together the audio of the dogs barking Jingle Bells? ;-)

December 17, 2016 at 10:19 PM · David, wasn't that on YouTube a few years ago?

No, it wasn't me. I would've surely remembered the royalties rolling in ;)

December 18, 2016 at 04:18 PM · I was thinking something simple - like Happy Birthday!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe