JonPaul Vetta Violin Bow

December 9, 2016 at 04:40 AM · Hello, I've been running a little bit of a stream of luck, and I've won on an auction a JonPaul Vetta for much, MUCH less than how much they cost.

I should be receiving it within 2 weeks now, and wanted to start a discussion thread for my experiences with it.

As a reference, my current best bow is ~$600 Cdn pernambucco Alfred Knoll, second best, an unstamped ~$300 Cdn pernambucco bow(Vetta was won on auction for less than this one).

My violin is a 1958 Sig. Hoibakke violin, Socia has a soundpost patch, extensive repaired damages by the neck and tailpiece. She is the best sounding violin I can afford for the next decade.

So, has anyone here tried JonPaul Vetta? I've read a lot of recommendations for JonPaul bows, but I've never encountered one in person in my life yet. From my previous experiences, I never liked CodaBows very much in terms of sound.

Replies (37)

December 9, 2016 at 09:11 AM · Wow-- that's a $2,700 bow you walked off with.

Never tried any of JonPaul's line, but this sounds like a fun project. And if you hate the results, there is always eBay.

December 9, 2016 at 10:37 AM · If you bought it on ebay, good chance its fake!!

December 9, 2016 at 12:44 PM · Yes, it is from ebay. Considering that the seller is from Canada, and they have history of selling couple of lower end JP bow before, and people liked them, I'm not too worried.

Also, if someone has owned one, I could try identifying it to see if it is in fact genuine or not.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/142192936187?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

When it arrives. I can describe it better.

December 9, 2016 at 12:48 PM · That's another red flag, he probably gets them from China, and stamps the name on himself, ebay buyers can be rather gullible, what are the odds that this seller would have multiple bows by the same maker at ridiculously low prices, and they be genuine?????

December 9, 2016 at 12:57 PM · All due respect Lyndon, I am yet to read one comment from you not criticizing any storefronts other than yours on on this forum yet. I even recollect you calling my violin a cheap VSO without having read its description in the past.

While what I paid for may or may not be genuine or counterfeit, I am yet to read an article about a fake JonPaul bow.

I would like to ask you to either to contribute with fact such as "look out for these, which only exist in genuine article". Not another heated argument with other members.

December 9, 2016 at 01:04 PM · I share Lyndon's skepticism that your "deal" is real. I've heard JonPaul Avanti is a good bow -- for the money.

Besides the metal used for the fittings (gold vs. silver vs. nickel), why is one JonPaul bow $2500 and another $800? Have you thought about that? That's a sucker-trap if ever there was one.

December 9, 2016 at 01:11 PM · On ebay, any and every maker has or will be faked at some time, there's a sucker born every minute, that's why there's ebay.

December 9, 2016 at 01:26 PM · Well in all fairness, looking at your bow, and the John Paul Vetta bow on their website, they do look very similar, so if its a fake, someone has gone to quite some trouble to make it look very similar, and who has time on their hand to do such things, forgers in China, I hope for your sake you are getting the genuine article, I never said it is not possible to pick up bargains on ebay, just very unlikely for the non expert to not be conned by all the fake stuff. There is more fake stuff on ebay than there is real stuff, if the prices seem too good to be true, there's a very good chance they are not true IMHO.

December 9, 2016 at 02:55 PM · Well, I was actually looking for 'a' JonPaul Bow, I happened to come across this one only at an auction within Canada only. To my understanding, this ebay store specifically handle bows that were returned and disqualified for resale for whatever reason. In the one I bid on, apparently rehair.

I knew some wealthy people in my life, who would sell genuine North American copies of hardcover textbooks for that go for >$500 for $30 before, and my current watch which goes for >$300 for I got for $25. If anything I was a little bit concerned that the seller for the bow might go through the trouble to cancel the sale.

I'm not too skeptical about the bow, I am actually sending an e-mail to JonPaul bow company to ask them for how to distinguish their genuine item.

I should mention that the seller starts all auctions at 99 cents.

December 9, 2016 at 04:07 PM · Well, if it's real then I'm very jealous ;). JonPaul's high end bows are excellent. It should have a serial number under the frog...when you get it, you can send that info to JonPaul - it should help them identify it (or not).

December 9, 2016 at 06:23 PM · Earlier, I've e-mailed JonPaul company, with the information I have, and shared him a link to this thread.

Mr. Paul Prier at JonPaul replied with the following:

"Fortunately, we have had almost no incidents of JonPaul forgeries. The reason being a very complex system of production that makes it not profitable to attempt a fake.

Having said that, I believe a contributor to the discussion mentioned a serial number under the frog. That is correct. When you get the bow if you want to take various pics, including that of the serial #, I can help in answering your question."

I am very excited to receive the bow!

December 11, 2016 at 05:05 PM · Well, the bow arrived. With a case. This thing is beautiful. I've sent the Serial number to JonPaul to confirm it is genuine.

For now, I will post some pictures, then go rub it against some rosin then against Socia.

photo IMG_6723_zpssyt1qxie.jpg

photo IMG_6724_zpsk0vypki3.jpg

photo IMG_6725_zpsep2fyvau.jpg

December 11, 2016 at 05:19 PM · Pernambuco is beautiful, carbon fibre, meh.......

December 11, 2016 at 05:27 PM · A few points so far:

1. Sound quality is equivalent, or a little bit better than the Alfred Knoll I have. Every CF bow I've tried, I never liked the sound of. This one I do.

2. Handle, now that's something I know has improved by a HUGE percentage. This is where CF bow shines from my experience. CF bows are easy to play, but sounds inferior in my opinion. This bow is superior/equivalent to wood bow(I need to get practicing regularly again), and has the ease of play advantage.

3. Genuine or not, this will become my "General" bow, with my Alfred Knoll as a "backup/style", the $300 Pernambucco will now need a new home(I mean out of the nice case that the Vetta was shipped with).

Furthermore on sound.

I'm not sure how to describe it. With my $300 bow, I find the sound "muffled". Clearly inferior in sound. Handle and etc are also clear.

With the Alfred Knoll, I feel "Open", and very articulate, with some "lagging behind". Vetta is very articulate, and no lag. It's really hard to describe with words. Vetta feels like a more responsive, and easier to play Alfred Knoll. The sound flavour is different, but again, very hard to describe.

Knoll's biggest drawback is near-frog play, which Vetta overcomes.

December 12, 2016 at 09:28 PM · I've heard back from the company. Serial belongs to a genuine article.

I must say, I've hit the jackpot!

December 12, 2016 at 10:51 PM · At least from how little I've been able to read about Vetta, is it safe to assume that it's not a bow that is very sought for?

December 13, 2016 at 01:24 AM · The more expensive Jonpaul don't get much internet hype-indeed, all you read is about Avanti, Avanti, Avanti because of good results for the money. That said, it's likely an excellent bow, even better considering what you paid for it. Don't feel bad it doesn't get much hype, as most of their expensive bows get similar treatment (likely players think that at the $2,000+ range, they may as well stick with wood-which doesn't mean the Vetta must be worse.)

December 13, 2016 at 03:34 AM · More expensive carbon-fiber bows tend to be less sought-after, I think, because you can now get a perfectly decent-playing bow for under $1k and as noted, people spending more typically go to wood for tonal reasons.

(I have tried a Carrera, for instance, and didn't feel like the delta between it and an Avanti was worth the price delta, but I was picking a backup bow and not a primary bow.)

December 13, 2016 at 03:54 AM · I'm curious then, why are CodaBows so much more sought for? For example, in between music stores I've been to within 50km radius of where my parents live(in between Hamilton and Toronto), and within 100km radius of Ottawa, I am yet to see one JonPaul bow to try out.

In the mean while, I've tried every kind of models made after 2005. In particular, Joule was nice, Prodigy, and Diamond *X series, I didn't like at all, at least compared to wood bows at comparable or lower price.

December 14, 2016 at 12:23 AM · I probably would have bought one Jon Paul bow if there was any dealers around me but the closest one is three hours away. I am not really willing to spend that much on a bow without trying it out first even if there was free trial period. The praise these bows have received has piqued my interest in trying one sometime.

December 14, 2016 at 12:45 AM · I think CodaBows are more ubiquitous, not necessary more sought after...

December 14, 2016 at 12:47 AM · The JonPaul bows are fantastic. Coda is more widely known -- they may spend more on marketing :-D

December 14, 2016 at 01:49 AM · I often prefer diversity in any market. It gives incentive for suppliers to compete in price, quality and service. In my case, at least from the places I've been to, Thomastik, Eastman and CodaBows are running the monopoly on low-to-medium end accessories and instruments.

I wonder what other good quality accessories companies are hidden from my sight.

December 30, 2016 at 08:25 PM · One thing I find a bit distracting with the Vetta bow is that the gold tip and ferrule reflects so much light, while I play, I get a bit of light either shining on my face, or on the violin.

December 31, 2016 at 12:57 AM · Ooh, that sounds horrible! I'd be happy to give you twice what you paid for it...;)

December 31, 2016 at 07:18 AM · I usually look at the mirror and to the front when I play, and I can catch the bridge and soundpoint in the corner of my vision, and I get very distracted by this shadow and brightness forming and fading.

December 31, 2016 at 08:11 AM · I think you would find polished silver just as shiny as red gold.

December 31, 2016 at 04:02 PM · My thoughts too. Quite never even though of that before having metal tip bow.

December 31, 2016 at 04:39 PM · Just take some 320-grit sand paper or steel wool and rub down those shiny bits until they're less distracting. Or paint them with white nail polish.

Or you could just enjoy having this wonderful new bow ... and by all means continue to gloat about it as frequently as humanly possible.

February 27, 2017 at 04:53 AM · I came to a decision Today that I am going to attempt to sell this bow locally.

If I could sell this bow for even half of its worth brand new, i can fund the fingerboard replacement for my violin+laptop upgrade I need + some extra money for next time hand-pick a new bow.

It is a great bow, but worth more as fluid currency in a student's budget.

February 28, 2017 at 02:19 AM · Steven, the Vetta is a new model of JonPaul. Since not all CF bows of a particular model sound the same, iit is possible that the one you bought is not on par with the standard (I.e., the balance or suppleness is different from most in that range). I cannot imagine someone paying US$2,700 for a bow and immediately flipping it for US$300.

February 28, 2017 at 02:54 AM · Dexter, I'm not very sure. The ebay store I bought it from was selling a lot of violin related materials, cello bows, violins and etc. at that period.

It is possible that it was part of going out of business sale or something less.

February 28, 2017 at 02:54 AM · Duplicate

February 28, 2017 at 07:24 PM · Good luck. I wouldn't give you $50 for this thing. Evident it has flaws.

March 2, 2017 at 04:55 PM · Don't worry John, I won't give you this thing for your salary.

March 2, 2017 at 05:56 PM · If JonPaul confirmed it is authentic and it has flaws, they might be more than happy to exchange it.

March 2, 2017 at 06:08 PM · they confirmed it is authentic, and at least I don't notice any flaws other than bow hair being a tad short for dry climate.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe