Hilary Hahn violin fine tuner

December 9, 2016 at 12:31 AM · Hi, anyone know which fine tuner Hilary Hahn is using on her violin?

Thanks.

Replies (21)

December 9, 2016 at 12:48 AM · Looks like an ordinary Hill style.

December 9, 2016 at 01:09 AM · I like her earrings.

December 9, 2016 at 01:26 AM · I like her face.

December 9, 2016 at 02:46 AM · That's how I first knew there was a problem: when I saw a life-sized poster of Anne-Sophie Mutter and could only think, as my gaze drooped beneath her chin, "man, that is lovely varnish!"

December 9, 2016 at 05:42 AM · I like everything in that picture. :)

(and yeah that's a Hill fine tuner)

December 9, 2016 at 10:05 AM · I use this style fine tuner because it makes my E string sound better. It does tend to break the E string a lot easier than the long lever type.

December 9, 2016 at 11:27 AM · I use the Hill type fine tuner in the violas I make too, they are very light and don't interfere with the string afterlength.

The ball end E string has a hole on it, you can insert the fine tuner arm in this hole to prevent the E string from breaking in this point.

December 9, 2016 at 12:27 PM · I'm going to go out on a limb and say that's not a Stradivari!!!

December 9, 2016 at 12:35 PM · I agree with all the above - and she's even prettier in person! (See my blog, "The Day I met Hilary Hahn".) But most of all, I love her violin playing.

BTW she plays a Vuilliaume modeled on Paganini's del Gesu, "Ill Cannone".

December 9, 2016 at 12:57 PM · in my humble opinion, that's not a Vuillaume, either!!

December 9, 2016 at 01:49 PM · Well I was wrong, I checked online and evidently it is a picture of her 1864 Vuillaume, evidently the varnish restorers have gone a little overboard on the varnish touch up to make it look like, IMHO a brand new violin.

December 9, 2016 at 02:38 PM ·

December 9, 2016 at 03:13 PM · In addition to the beautiful music she makes she gets an amazing amount of sound from that violin. You can't know this from her recordings, but I saw one of her performances of the Elgar VC 15 years ago and her live sound volume was up there with that I had heard from Heifetz, Perlman, and Stern. A lovely young woman, she agreed to pose for a photo with my 12-year old granddaughter (my violin student for 10 years) after the concert - with Hilary's father very close behind.

December 9, 2016 at 05:07 PM · Lyndon - don't set too much store by a photo - especially a non-archival photo.

December 9, 2016 at 06:53 PM · I think it looks more like a Götz fine tuner. Unlike the Hill the Götz allows the string to rest on the saddle of the tailpiece.

December 9, 2016 at 10:51 PM · Looks like Hill type to me, I'm not familiar with the Götz version but it could be that, too.

If the fine tuner uses a stamped part for the hook that holds the loop end of the string, this part should be carefully de-burred with a jeweler's file. Then, it won't break the string.

Big Hahn fan here - just love her sound and her playing. Her YouTube videos are incredible to watch. Haven't had the opportunity to see her play live, yet, though.

December 10, 2016 at 01:42 AM · Thanks everyone for replying.

I love her too. There is a replay on Detroit symphony orchestra website, Hilary plays Beethoven violin concerto on September this year.

I am interested in that fine tuner mostly because it can hook loop end e string without breaking it that easily.

Here is a Goetz fine tuner.

December 10, 2016 at 02:55 AM · That photo might also be retouched via Photoshop or the like -- I'd bet it is.

December 11, 2016 at 12:34 AM · Hi Pon, I typed Goetz fine tuner on google and a large number of places had them for sale. Maybe you could try that and find a store close to you or one that has reasonable shipping charge as it is a small inexpensive item. Long ago I used the lever type that brought the string tension up by the tuning screw pushing a lever with a round post on the end towards the belly of the top. I long ago switched to Hill Tuners because I didn't like this lump of metal so close to my top. Ironically my best violin has a huge ding about an inch long in the top caused by a mishap with this style fine tuner long before I bought it.

I also think this short tuner sounds better but there are a lot of soloists who do like the longer lever adjusters.

December 11, 2016 at 02:50 AM · I use the long-lever adjuster on my E string although I don't really need an adjuster at all because I have gear pegs. Nowadays many of the long-lever type come with a small rubber boot on the end of the lever to help minimize the risk of damage of the type Jeff has described.

Most interesting to me in the photo is how she has rubbed off the stain on her CR. You can also see from that where her jaw actually rests and it's over the tail piece. Most of the "cup" of the CR is not used.

December 12, 2016 at 04:30 AM · I never miss an opportunity to say that this lady is to me what Heifetz is to others.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe