'Amazing' Hotel California cover

November 9, 2016 at 02:02 AM · Just for fun, I've recently discovered this and I couldn't stop laughing, with all due respect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDfcpNRsjR4

Replies (23)

November 9, 2016 at 02:18 AM · ...nevermind the music, the violinist's form/posture is making me cringe!

November 9, 2016 at 04:15 AM · Also his sound and disregard for his chinrest...

November 9, 2016 at 12:25 PM · That's right, Fox, that's the reason I shared it here, because of the violinist. Priceless technique, hahahaha.

Did you notice how he held the bow?

He thinks he's playing a cello, hahaha. May be there was an instrument interchange before, XD.

Wow, I didn't noticed that he avoided to touch the chinrest, hahaha. My god, that posture is worse than those used by models selling violins.

Nevertheless, I must say one thing that really surprised me:

His intonation and tempo are wonderful if you compare them to how bad he holds the bow, the violin and how he plays it. It's like if he only developed intonation and tempo in the 2-3 years he's been probably playing. The rest of the things are still as bad as in his beginning.

November 9, 2016 at 03:07 PM · I noticed that too, but what's the point of good intonation if you have no tone to project the fruits of said intonation and rhythm? :)

November 9, 2016 at 04:40 PM · I didn't pretend to make a point, I just said that because it surprised me. It's quite outstanding how "good" his intonation and rhythm is compared to how he plays the violin. I mean, if I watch the video with no sound, and see how he plays, I'd expect a horrible out of tune sound all the time, but no, I'd be wrong.

November 9, 2016 at 05:07 PM · What is going on here?Why is this thread allowed to exist?

This is not how it's done.

People come and post their vid and you like it or not or what ever.

This, this is pathetic.

grow up

November 9, 2016 at 05:43 PM · Who are you addressing, Charlie? :D

November 9, 2016 at 06:38 PM · I, for one< thought the band sounded rather pleasant until the bow touched the strings. The fiddler kid is probably one of the regular pluckers who decided to pick up a fiddle and stroke it some for this piece. I did think his intonation was consistently a few cents off, but everything about him looked like his first lesson will be in the future, if ever.

If it's OK with the rest of the band, who am I to complain - my computer has an off switch.

November 9, 2016 at 07:55 PM · Yeah, his intonation was of course off, what I said is that his intonation and sense of rhythm is way, way more developed that his actual way of playing the violin, which is kind of contradictory. You develop those things at the same speed rate and at the same time. It's "as surprising" as a violinist that can play very well in the upper positions, but has a lot of problems in the first or third position.

By the way, you don't get "that level" of intonation without spending a lot of hour playing the violin.

November 9, 2016 at 08:42 PM · Well, not necessarily so.

I began two years ago, but have an intuitive knack on the violin.

Tho means that I can play double harmonics etc relatively easily, but need to work on shifting, though I can play in tune at the top of the fingerboard. :)

November 10, 2016 at 03:16 AM · With 'all due respect' to OP--I'm not seeing the need to post this thread with the purpose of sharing in the ridicule of an amateur violinist or pointing out his flaws. All I see here is a person who isn't classically trained giving his best effort to share some music with people. It's not some formal event. He's not pretending to be an expert player. He's probably self taught. There's enough negativity going around these days that I think we should encourage people to continue enjoying making music no matter their skill level. I for one applaud this person for having the courage to get up there and play for a large audience as well as for his thorough albeit flawed preparation.

November 10, 2016 at 12:38 PM · Agree with Charles and Austin. Seems like a nice kid. He did his best and that's all that counts.

November 10, 2016 at 01:26 PM · "There's enough negativity going around these days that I think we should encourage people to continue enjoying making music no matter their skill level. I for one applaud this person for having the courage to get up there and play for a large audience ..." (Austin Chen)

Seconded. This kid doesn't deserve to be ridiculed. Maybe he can't afford lessons, maybe there's no teacher around, maybe he just doesn't bother and wants to have a good time. These kids play music together, they don't harm anyone and people seem to enjoy it. As my own playing is by far not beyond criticism, it would to me feel very hypocritical and snobbish to ridicule the skills (or lack thereof) of others.

November 10, 2016 at 02:01 PM · Perhaps those critical can post a video of themselves playing along with this ensemble so we can be enlightened how this song should be performed properly?

November 10, 2016 at 03:50 PM · But, there is also the issue of public perception.

Although I gave no qualms about his playing if he is self-taught, such videos can affect the general perception of an instrument by not showing in its best light (or sound).

Respectfully,

Me :)

November 10, 2016 at 06:28 PM · Tim,

Could you please post a video of your playing so we can assess your performance?

November 10, 2016 at 06:30 PM · @Tim Ripond . . . "It's "as surprising" as a violinist that can play very well in the upper positions, but has a lot of problems in the first or third position."

Is it all that surprising? I've heard of teachers who introduce the higher positions quite early on, because it is a bit easier, and when the pupil has achieved a measure of fluency and relaxation then perhaps it is then the time to introduce the neck positions. That was my experience when I learnt the cello; my teacher got me using the length of the fingerboard within the first 12 months - accuracy developed over the ensuing years, of course :)

. . ."that posture is worse than those used by models selling violins". Is that a reference to an ad in a clip I saw on YouTube that I saw a while ago (I can't locate it at the moment) in which a male model is so-say playing a violin - left handed, bow being held like a hammer, the other hand looking like it was wringing a chicken (and not even efficiently, as a farmer would), and his head at an angle more like that of some unfortunate felon suffering his fate at the hands of the hangman. Oh, and the expression on his face doubtless reflected the sound that would have been produced, in which case there is yet some hope for the guy.

My main thought when I saw that clip was, where was the professionalism you would expect from a professional model, or actor? It just wasn't there. Either professional should make it their business to get good instruction from an expert before pretending to play an instrument for an ad.

Rant over.

November 10, 2016 at 08:48 PM · Yeah Trevor, hahaha. I love watching violin ads. In these ads, models pretend to play the violin. Each time, you discover a new way of, let's say, playing the violin, it's so funny. XD

November 10, 2016 at 10:45 PM · I'm troubled by this topic. I'm an older, bit of a luddite, type with lots of great experiences but not so much talent. I've played in a group at my nations birthday celebrations and played for a single soul facing their end time, and lots in between. In this day and age, we all can be recorded without permission or knowledge. Any one could come upon a recording of me solo or part of a group and ridicule my persona, technique or talent. I'm a very flawed person. If that would make a ridiculer feel superior or validated, I suppose it would serve some purpose, but it seems to me to be pointless and self serving. In plain language - picking on the defenseless. If this is an inappropriate expression, I will gladly be removed from this site.

Dave

November 10, 2016 at 10:45 PM · I'm troubled by this topic. I'm an older, bit of a luddite, type with lots of great experiences but not so much talent. I've played in a group at my nations birthday celebrations and played for a single soul facing their end time, and lots in between. In this day and age, we all can be recorded without permission or knowledge. Any one could come upon a recording of me solo or part of a group and ridicule my persona, technique or talent. I'm a very flawed person. If that would make a ridiculer feel superior or validated, I suppose it would serve some purpose, but it seems to me to be pointless and self serving. In plain language - picking on the defenseless. If this is an inappropriate expression, I will gladly be removed from this site.

Dave

November 10, 2016 at 10:52 PM · He's clearly just a self taught beginner playing on a very inexpensive instrument. Come on what are we hating on him for. At least he had the guts to perform for a crowd. It wasn't even all that terrible given the circumstance.

November 11, 2016 at 01:19 AM · I loved the spirit behind this recording and they clearly are all having fun. That is not always the case in a professional group. Would I pay to hear this group, no, but good luck to them. May they keep on enjoying their music.

Cheers Carlo

November 14, 2016 at 12:29 PM · just had a look at the video, given the context, I think it is really lovely what you see there, young, probably largely self-taught people, performing music to a friendly crowd in a pleasant atmosphere. I actually applaud that young violinist, he keeps his cool and does not even have a shaking bow.

P.S. actually if a pop band wanted to cover Hotel California using a violin, I would actually recommend to them to just sing the song, not use the violin for that, but use it for the famous guitar solo.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe