Violin Bows for 800+/- USD

August 17, 2016 at 08:42 PM · I have been searching for bows around 800 dollars. I would prefer a pernambuco bow, but I can't seem to find a good pernambuco bow for under 1500 USD. The best bang for my buck that I have seen is the Coda GX. Has anyone found a good pernambuco bow for this price?

Replies (16)

August 17, 2016 at 10:17 PM · Try a lot of them, but in this price range I think you are best off with a CF bow.

August 17, 2016 at 10:29 PM · Hello Christopher, I cannot comment on cheaper wood bows but do have a Coda GX Diamond and think it a good bow for its cost. They are much tougher bows and not as delicate as wood. Maybe you could look at some stores trial programs such as Shar which will send you four different bows in your price range for a minimal fee and then you can take your time testing them out.

August 17, 2016 at 11:16 PM · At that price range, I would recommend a JonPaul Avanti carbon-fiber bow as a good place to start. You should try out a number of CF bows in that price range, though, since each model is unique and indeed, each bow is unique even though bows of a particular model tend to be similar.

You can find a decent wood bow in that price range but it'll be more difficult to do so than CF.

August 18, 2016 at 12:27 AM · you might try the Dorfler or Seifert websites in Germany, a good Brazilian pernambuco bow can be had for that price, I believe.

August 18, 2016 at 12:34 AM · I think in your price range, Brazilian bows are probably one of the best bang for the buck. Some carbon fiber bows might handle better, and respond better overall, but the sound tends to be lacking compared to a wood bow(it's a generalization, not a fact). What bow you ultimately get will also depend on what exactly you are looking for. Obviously, taste is a very individual thing. As others have recommended, it's best to try many bows above and below your price range before making the decision.

August 18, 2016 at 01:33 AM · I second Lyndon and Shawn's advice-- Arcos Brazil--if you are looking for a new bow. Otherwise, I would look for a very old German bow. What city are you in/near?

August 18, 2016 at 01:36 AM · I advise my students that if their budget is under $1000, they are much likelier to be happy with a good CF bow in that range than with a pernambuco bow. Another vote for JonPaul Avanti here.

August 18, 2016 at 02:17 AM · Mary Ellen, are most JonPaul Avanti's pretty similar? I am asking, since I haven't had the chance to try any yet. I have tried CF bows in this price range that I did not like very much(doesn't mean they weren't any good). I have also liked some of them.

August 18, 2016 at 02:28 AM · You would think that all carbon fiber bows of a particular model would be identical but in fact they are not. You need to try individual bows. But the two JP Avanti bows I have are pretty similar.

August 18, 2016 at 02:45 AM · I have three Cadenza Master ("three star") CF bows (one for me, one for my daughter, and one as a spare). As far as I can tell from how they play, they are completely interchangeable. They're around $500.

August 18, 2016 at 08:42 AM · I don't know where you are based, but you may want to try a "Bernard" bow. These are bows coming out of the workshop of Brussels-based master bowmaker Pierre Guillaume. He has an impressive collection of pernambuco wood, the bows are made by his students under his guidance. I own one of these, it is a strong, stable and powerful bow. I don't know if it is an option for you to come to Brussels, but you could contact them and see what is possible. Quite possibly they are sold in other shops in the world and they might be able to tell you where. You should contact them anyway because their offering is variable. When I bought mine I was lucky and could choose among five bows. All were really good for me but one stuck out for me, obviously that's the one I own.

http://www.guillaume-archetier.com/uk/serv.html

August 18, 2016 at 09:21 AM · In this price range, definitely check out the nickel-mounted pernambuco bows from the workshop of Arcos Brasil. A. Carvalho in particular makes superb ones.

August 18, 2016 at 10:51 AM · This is not a competition, but I have an interesting anecdote, because I had seen Gene before on this forum mentioning the Arcos Brasil bows. Many of Pierre Guillaume's students are located in Brasil actually and he knows that workshop very well. When I asked him how his "Bernard" workshop bows compare to those of Arcos Brazil, he replied "I hope ours are quite a bit better". Of course he would say that I guess, but he is a very gentle and honest person.

August 18, 2016 at 03:04 PM · I jave to second some advices above.

Excelent brazilian pernambuco bows can be found in this price range.

August 18, 2016 at 05:06 PM · Jean, it's interesting you mention Pierre Guillaume, because he taught all those folks. ;)

Would love to play his own workshop's bows!

August 19, 2016 at 04:17 PM · In this price range, I've really liked some of the Guy Laurent (Chinese) bows from Shar.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe