What is this slow very sweet romantic violin concerto?

August 15, 2016 at 06:06 PM · In a friend's car I heard a lovely violin concerto on the radio, it was clearly major and I suspect g or d major, and it was very slow and easy, but not too slow, it had consistent note changes, but it sounded very sweet and kind of romantic, I could hear that it was mostly in 3rd position. It reminded me of Salut D Amour by Elgar, I would love it if anyone could help me find out what it was. Thank you!

Replies (26)

August 15, 2016 at 06:15 PM · I will guess the Samuel Barber violin concerto. Except the last movement is not slow.

August 15, 2016 at 06:31 PM · If you look up the programming for the radio station in question online, you can probably find out what it was.

August 15, 2016 at 07:00 PM · The Barber cannot be mostly played in 3rd position. How about the Oskar Rieding concerto op. 35?

August 15, 2016 at 09:51 PM · The Rieding opus 35 is in minor, though.

August 15, 2016 at 10:01 PM · It's impossible to make an educated guess based on the information in the OP, but surely the OP can look up the radio station programming.

Chances are it was the middle movement of something. Mendelssohn?

August 16, 2016 at 02:15 AM · My guess - just based on the description - would be the second movement of the Bruch concerto.

August 16, 2016 at 02:25 AM · Just for fun I'll weigh in here because it really can't be guessed based on the OP's description. As Mary Ellen suggested, call the radio station. But Anna, if your heart didn't break in two, chances are it wasn't the 2nd mvt. of the Barber.

August 16, 2016 at 02:33 AM · Mozarts 3rd concerto 2nd movement?

August 16, 2016 at 05:01 AM · Impossible to guess, but the Saint-Saens concerto no 3, second movment reminds a bit like Salut d'Amour

August 16, 2016 at 08:39 AM · My guess would be the Meditation from Thais. Sounds a lot like Salut D'Amour and is largely in 3rd positionish.

But, of course, not remotely a concerto. :)

August 16, 2016 at 11:30 AM · Anna, perhaps you could give us a recording of you playing/singing the melody? That would help a lot.

August 16, 2016 at 11:31 AM · Hmmm...if reminiscent of Salut D'Amour, perhaps it's the 2nd mvt. of Elgar's own concerto? Yet, considering that the two respective works are coming from the same composer, they are quite different. OP - call the radio station - we're going crazy! :-)

August 16, 2016 at 01:29 PM · My guess is flight of the bumblee bee. It got the same notes as Salut and can be played mostly in the third position :)

August 20, 2016 at 01:11 AM · Flight of Bumblebee is not slow!!!

Could it be part of the Glazunov? That concerto is not difficult until you get halfway through the 2nd movement, then it becomes #@!% impossible and remains that way.

August 22, 2016 at 07:53 PM · Maybe the Andante movement of the Bruch Scottish Fantasy or to really go out on a limb the slow movement of the Korngold?

-M

August 25, 2016 at 12:46 AM · I thought of Korngold too...

August 26, 2016 at 12:16 PM · I thought of Korngold, too, but it's hardly "mostly in 3rd position"!

August 26, 2016 at 12:38 PM · Not the G major Beethoven Romance, is it? It's fairly slow, in G major, and mainly 3rd position. However, it's not that romantic, and it wouldn't remind ME of Salut d'Amour.

August 26, 2016 at 07:01 PM · Beethovens Romance in F. Close to G, but idk.

August 30, 2016 at 04:03 PM · So I am befuddled by the number of folks entering their guesses with no chance of finding out the correct answer. That's life, I guess!

August 30, 2016 at 04:10 PM · Why didn't the OP contact the radio station??

August 30, 2016 at 07:30 PM · I'm confused about the ability to hear 3rd position. That's some 6-million dollar man stuff.

August 30, 2016 at 07:54 PM · No, you just used to hearing the position (via resonance), finger and string being used by lots of listening practice. :)

August 30, 2016 at 08:47 PM · I'm guessing the meant on the E String, they don't go higher than D or perhaps E.

August 31, 2016 at 07:40 PM · Actually Christian the ability to hear 3rd position is more some Bionic Woman stuff (yes, proud nerd here) :c)

Erin, I thought it was just fun to guess I wasn't really expecting to get it right.

-M

September 1, 2016 at 12:37 AM · I am going to take the bull by the horns and call the radio station myself and try to find out what piece this was to end our suspense.When I get time though, like tomorrow afternoon.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe