Rosin Packaging

August 6, 2016 at 12:24 AM · Wow. 5 days into the month and no rosin discussion.

How would you like your fav. rosin packaged? Wood block, wrapped in a fabric and tied, attached to fabric and stored in a plastic/wood/metal container, attached to the lid of a plastic/wood/metal container or something else? And of course, why?

Replies (21)

August 6, 2016 at 12:32 AM · I really like how Andrea Solo is packed. Rosin is mounted on a plastic dish, and capped with clear plastic that can be screwed on/off.

I prefer Plastic containers because they are less likely going to cause damage to the bow or the violin if I had a freak accident. Also I like the rosin to be attached to some sort of a handle because rosin on my left finger, often have given me problems with shifts.

On the flip side, I HATE how Vienna's Best rosin was packed. Without the original plastic tube, it deform to the extent, I have a hard time finding a surface to apply on the bow.

August 6, 2016 at 12:51 AM · Does the V B have a cork piece on the bottom? Is it melting?

August 6, 2016 at 12:54 AM · It is actually a wooden piece, not sure of what kind, but not cork on the one I've got.

After receiving the rosin, I took it out of the tube, and threw out the tube thinking that it's not needed, but the next day the rosin turned into pancake.

It's not "melting", but it's almost as if is a very highly viscous fluid, that very slowly deforms rather than solid.

August 6, 2016 at 01:01 AM · Yikes. Good to be aware of that. Thanks. Intrigued by Andrea style packaging but more items to manage than say a Hill.

August 6, 2016 at 02:33 AM · I like the "tins" the best (Baker's, Andrea, etc). Allows for easy and quick take out/put away. Also doesn't take up that much real estate in the case, unlike "pouch" rosins can do.

I just ordered some Leatherwood rosin (had the funds, so why not give it a try?). Have to say I'm not too confident in the packaging there...I'm somewhat concerned the leather "wrap" won't be able to hold the rosin inside and will thus cause it to bang around with other things. Let's see what happens after I've had it for a while.

August 6, 2016 at 03:34 AM · Just be sure not to untie the Leatherwood leather covering. The rosin comes in a stiff paper sleeve within the leather and it is quite easy to slip it back in - certainly easier than re-wrapping and retying. And that leather provides enough protection for the 16,000 mile trip (via Frankfort) for the rosin to safely travel from Orange, AU to San Francisco, CA in perfect condition - or to withstand a fall to the floor. Love those long wooden cases!

I had trouble with (Tom) Baker's metal tin distorting so I could not open it and ended up gluing my "Baker's) to a cloth. Andrea and Tartini came in similar plastic cylindrical containers that I found easy to work with - and even to velcro on the inside of my cello case. Magic rosin uses a similar kind of package, but glues the rosin directly to the plastic surface.

August 6, 2016 at 04:10 AM · You dont need adhesive to fix rosin to a cloth, just turn it over and touch the outside of the cloth with a hot iron. For a smooth surface it wont work though.

August 6, 2016 at 05:46 AM · Magic rosin is a bit week on threaded part of the lid and the rosin is down inside the lid so you can't use it all. Price is good.

August 6, 2016 at 06:15 AM · I've been using Kaplan Artcraft for a while and it comes wrapped in cloth and in a little pouch. Have no complaints except that if you wear a groove through the rosin, you'll either cut it in half or otherwise wear it out to the point where it's not practical to hold it with the little cloth it comes in, but you probably should buy a fresh new one much before that happens.

I have a thing for the wood block but I think it's just nostalgia because that's how my first rosins were. I dunno. It also seems more practical, and less wasteful. Is there any good rosin that comes in the wood blocks?

(I'm completely out of the loop on rosins!)

August 6, 2016 at 09:14 AM · Fiddlerman has a new premium rosin which is stuck to the base and has a cap held on with magnets. I like the rosin better than Andrea, though the half cake of Andrea fits better in your pocket if that would ever be a concern.

August 6, 2016 at 05:39 PM · Is taking the rosin on stage a concern?

August 6, 2016 at 06:47 PM · My viola case doesn't have much storage space but has a lot of dead space in the middle. I like the pouch because I can cram it into that space and not worry about it hurting my viola.

August 6, 2016 at 07:02 PM · Millant-Deroux packages most of their rosins in round plastic containers with lids, inside which there is rosin affixed to a piece of cloth. That works well for me. I prefer round rosins rather than the rectangular ones with the wooden sides.

August 6, 2016 at 08:16 PM · Is there a purpose for the cloth attached to rosins that are stored in containers, other than trying to keep hands clean?

August 7, 2016 at 01:27 AM · I also had trouble with the lid on my tin of Baker's rosin getting stuck.

On top of that the cork came unglued from the inside of the tin and I watched in horror as my precious and much loved Baker's rosin fell to the floor and broke into bits.

I think I like the round plastic containers with the rosin affixed to the cloth like Lydia. I wish Baker's came this way.

August 7, 2016 at 01:53 AM · I like round tins for my rosin, with the rosin attached to a cloth. The tin keeps the rosin from drying out too fast.

Cheers Carlo

August 7, 2016 at 02:07 AM · A fancy tin is nice but a tiny tupperware container or ziploc bag will keep you rosin fresh. If indeed it has a finite shelf life.

David perhaps also a bit of mechanical protection against chipping, etc.

August 7, 2016 at 07:23 PM · Some interesting points. I didn't expect problems with some of the what I would have considered more advanced packaging. Wood block has more support than I expected. Wasn't aware of Leatherman's. Not much support for tied cloth covering. Profile some concern for carrying in case and on person. Thanks all

Stay pawsitive,

Dave

August 7, 2016 at 08:31 PM · David, to answer your earlier question,when I have a concern about it (for example a long concert program with lots of off-string bowing) I try to remember to have a small Magic Ultra cake in my pocket - it seems a good size for that purpose - haven't had to use it on stage yet. Leatherman's Bespoke Rosin (BSR from Australia) has a Facebook page and seems to be gathering a following - seems like good stuff.

August 8, 2016 at 06:55 PM · Anne Sophie-Mutter does not have pockets in her mermaid gowns, and they are rather closely tailored, so there is nowhere to hide a rosin cake. When she plays sonata recitals she keeps it on the piano. I saw a video once where she took the rosin from there and rubbed it gently the length of her bow maybe twice, that's all.

August 8, 2016 at 08:18 PM · Did you spot how it was packaged?

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe