Riboni Unoeotto

August 4, 2016 at 05:48 AM · Does anyone have experience with a Riboni Unoeotto case? I am considering that against a Gewa Jaeger Prestige shaped case and a Musafia shaped case.

Replies (22)

August 4, 2016 at 08:50 AM · TA Timms also makes a shaped case.

Cheers Carlo

August 4, 2016 at 09:07 AM · How do these cases compare to Bam?

Is there a concensus on the best/highest quality case?

August 4, 2016 at 12:19 PM · I have a ten year old Musafia Master case and think it is the best case out there.

August 4, 2016 at 12:28 PM · Carlo, I looked up the TImms shaped cases, and they look beautiful. I also searched through forums here and saw that you own a shaped Timms case? How much does it weigh, if you don't mind?

August 4, 2016 at 01:31 PM · http://www.maurizioriboni.it/ENG/unoeotto.html

No word about materials used or construction type. Plywood or synthetics?

August 5, 2016 at 09:26 PM · @Mathew, the Timms case weighs exactly 2.5kg. It is the most compact shaped case. It is made from 11 layers of veneer, so it may be the strongest also.

I also briefly owned a Prestige Jaegar shaped case. I wrote it a glowing review, which you can find online, but soon realised the the lid, which had a certain amount of flex, was actually pushing down on the bridge. I returned the case, as not fit for purpose, before my violin was destroyed.

I have too, a Musafia Master Series exclusive Dart case. This I highly recommend. It saved a violin of mine from destruction. It is less compact than the Timms, but has more internal space if you use a SR.

Cheers Carlo

August 6, 2016 at 12:42 AM · Riboni uses wood laminate, like all other high-end violin case makers.

August 6, 2016 at 01:58 AM · From TATimms website, describing how a wood laminate shell is made...

"It is based on a laminated shell (Laminated: layers of veneer, glued in a sandwich of several layers and set in a mould until cured - in effect making plywood in a Case shape) which has been proved to be the strongest and most stable method of Case Making. Likewise, the lid is laminated in a similar manner... All joints and components bonded with Araldite slow cure resin."

Cheers Carlo

August 6, 2016 at 03:29 AM · I have a GEWA Jaeger Prestige shaped violin case, and Carlo's comments kind of alarmed me. So I carefully checked, and I'm finding that there's plenty of clearance between the lid and the bridge of my violin, and the the lid is extremely ridgid and barely sinks, even with strong pressure. I wouldn't return mine, and I think the original poster should examine the case for themselves, and make their own decision. GEWA/Jaeger have been in this business a long time, and it seems pretty improbable that they would have overlooked these things in this premium quality case. I not only like the beautiful engineering of my case, but I'm also very attracted to the fact that there's nothing ostentatious about it.

August 6, 2016 at 03:52 AM · @Mark. I'm pleased your case works for you. I liked it too for the lack of ostentation, except for the shoulder straps which were heavy and too flashy. Mine may have been a one off faulty case, but I wasn't going to take the chance with the proffered replacement. I opted instead for a full refund from the London dealer who agreed that it was unsafe.

In my opinion, GEWA cases currently made in China, are not well designed or made. Their lightweight shells do not stand up well to daily use. Thirty years ago I believe the German GEWA cases had quality. Now they attempt to trade on their former reputation.

Cheers Carlo

August 6, 2016 at 09:55 AM · Has anyone tried the suspension option on the Timms cases? As recently as a few years ago they refused to make those.

August 6, 2016 at 02:11 PM · I don't see how suspension can be an add-on option, from a practical standpoint. If you simply take an existing case and add suspension pads, you will raise the instrument closer to the inside of the lid and to the bows and thus decrease its margin of safety in the event of crushing force.

To avoid that, the shell itself would have to be modified to be higher, and the cover would have to be tailored to fit... it's a complicated affair.

Suspension should be a designed-in feature to begin with, after Leroy Weber (with the help of Isaac Stern) came up with it in the '70s, today really there is no justification for its absence in a high-quality case. Its effectiveness has been proven countless times.

August 6, 2016 at 07:07 PM · True enough-- which is why I was wondering if theirs was properly designed and implemented.

August 6, 2016 at 08:12 PM · My Timms does have the suspension option. The scroll does not touch the back of the case. There is plenty of clearance for the bridge. I trust that it was property designed and implemented. As for crushing, there is no movement at all when I lean with my full body weight on the lid. If you have questions, I suggest you email Desmond directly, he is a v.com member.

It is interesting that M.A. Gordge did not put suspension in his cases, except towards the end of his life for the American market. He felt it was unnecessary, and did this reluctantly. Does anybody know of damage caused to a violin in one of his cases, that did not have this feature? I have two of his cases, and I feel confident they are protecting my instruments. However, if I were able to choose, I would have the suspension versions of these cases as you can't have too much protection. Hard to get now...

Cheers Carlo

August 7, 2016 at 11:21 AM · We all have our own opinions and various axes to grind:

I make Traditional English Cases. In the main English Cases were ‘late developers’ and did not have suspension fitted. I knew Mick Gordge for over 30 years, worked there for nine, and visited Mick at the workshop regularly. I only ever had sight of one Case with Suspension, and that was when visiting the workshop for the last time after his death in February of 2007. It was an unfinished ‘prototype’.

Amazingly to some perhaps, not all players wish suspension fitted to their Cases (but that said – I agree that most do).

All oblong Cases made by me (English Model / Leather / light-weight) are made with suspension, but may be ordered ‘without’ if required. Contrary to Mr Musafia’s justifiable concerns, there has been added into the mix ample deck and lid height to allow for the addition of suspension. Only a fool would compromise on the very basics of case making such as safe clearance issues, but perhaps some regard me as such… So be it.

Perhaps the most ‘Traditionally English’ of all our models is the Shaped Case, and many wish it “as it was in the day” with no suspension fitted.

As all Cases made here are made here from scratch and to Customer order, to alter the deck and lid height (cover too of course) accordingly is not a big issue of any kind. Indeed Mr Ballara owns a very fine and valuable Old Italian Instrument which required considerable very careful and custom fitment. He would seem pleased with the result.

Desmond Timms

‘Desmond@tatimms.com’

August 7, 2016 at 11:47 AM · Does anyone have any experience with or opinion on ACCORD cases?

August 7, 2016 at 01:07 PM · Case war!!! Awesome!

By the way, did Heifetz's case have suspension? If it didn't, then we should not be using it either.

August 7, 2016 at 01:42 PM · Des, I wasn't referring to your work, which I have often praised for its quality on this site and elsewhere, but to the principle in itself :-).

My professional opinion is that a case should be designed as a system and 4-point suspension should be an integral part of it. If a client asks me to make a case without - and that has happened - I refuse the order, because I am no longer able to offer the SATRAVI protection certification.

That said, there are numerous suspension cases out there that do NOT provide adequate clearance for the violin, over the bridge and over the belly area. This is often because the cases were designed without suspension and then subsequently the pads were simply added with no other modifications.

And Paul, you are correct, the answer is "no" and "no". You wouldn't want to use Paganini's case either.

Cheers!

August 7, 2016 at 09:38 PM · Accord cases are pricey and may well be strong, but being Carbon Fibre do nothing in terms keeping the instrument at a stable temperature. I personally find the style cold and sterile.

BAM cases made of plastic, printed to look like carbon fibre, are also poor insulators.

Cheers Carlo

August 7, 2016 at 11:07 PM · Thanks Carlo. I didn't realize that type of case has inferior temperature control. Narrows down the choice to wood.

August 8, 2016 at 09:37 PM · @k.d. The best artisan case makers that use a wood laminated shell, in no particular order are; Riboni, Caballero, Negri, Musafia, and Timms. These cost a little more but are well designed and well made with quality materials, by craftsmen passionate about their work.

If you are on a budget the ply cases by Bobelock are good value. In my opinion, steer clear of Chinese made Gewa and BAM.

Cheers Carlo

August 9, 2016 at 04:51 AM · Thanks Carlo, I appreciate the help. My current case is Gewa and im not impressed with the quality. Will be ordering a custom wood from one of those mentioned.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition
ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

AVIVA Young Artist Program

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe