chinese violin longevity

July 22, 2016 at 07:59 PM · I'm still on my off and on search for a new violin. I have been refusing to consider Chinese instruments due to the fact that I have owned two in the past and the sound deteriorated on them both after about a year. The neck started to sink on one of them after three months. Others that I have looked at had serious quality control problems right out of the factory.

My question is, does anyone have a Chinese made fiddle over two or three years old that has not deteriorated? I noticed in my search that when a dealer brings out a Chinese violin, it is always a new one.

I'm talking about violins in the $2000-$3000 price range.

Replies (74)

July 22, 2016 at 08:49 PM · I have had my Chinese-made Jay-Haide a l'ancienne cello for 11 years with no degradation at all. I had my previous (lesser model) Jay-Haide for about 7 years before that upgrade. One of the violinist/violist "ringers" around here I know has been playing a Jay-Haide violin for about 10 years - no complaints. The Jay-Haide a l'ancienns are in your price range.

(a "ringer" fills in at orchestral concerts for pay.)

I did get an el-cheapo 1/2-size Chinese violin for my granddaughter that had a sinking neck. It was bad, not because it was Chinese, but because it had no neck-block - that is a defect that could happen in any country. I rented her a Jay-Haide for the rest of her 1/2-size years - it was great!

July 22, 2016 at 09:08 PM · I have two Chinese violins, one that I bought new 17 years ago, and another bought new 2 years ago. The 17 year old one currently has a fingerboard projection of 26.5mm, and has been holding steady there for as many years as I have been measuring it, I'm guessing about 10 years. It may have been there as long as I've had it, but before that I didn't have the understanding to take the time to measure it. (27mm is standard) That make/model is currently right in the middle of your price range.

The 2 year old violin has a projection closer to 28mm, and has held steady there for as long as I've owned it. It's priced just a bit above your high range. I would happily buy either one of these instruments again. So from my limited experience, better Chinese workshop instruments can be considered reliable.

July 22, 2016 at 09:08 PM ·

July 22, 2016 at 11:42 PM · I recently ordered two jay-haide violins. One was made in 2013 and the other in 2014. Both sounded thin and had no depth. A friend of mine who is a retired violin maker wanted to see them because he was curious about their antiqueing method. After about 20 seconds he saw the reason for their lack of tone. They both had what he called a "varnish bridge". The varnish was carelessly applied and filled in the gap at the f holes hindering the top from vibrating. He said one had it at "all four corners", and the other at three corners and that someone would have to use a thin diamond file to free up the top.

A lot of people regard the ancienne line as one of the best of Chinese violins but I somehow get two that have serious quality control problems.

Mark-I think the finger board problem on my fiddle was an anomaly. Did your violins have any sound degradation like mine? The first one went completely dead. The second got so shrill that a new soundpost and bridge couldn't fix it. A complete loss.

The luthiers that I took them to said it was most likely wood that wasn't completely dry when they were made.

July 23, 2016 at 12:16 AM · Leon, I still love the sound of both violins, and most everyone who hears them agrees with my assessment. The 17 year old one is a "Christie Lam," which is a fictitious brand (I believe) used by a Southern California importer/dealer for instruments they acquire from a particular, and undisclosed to me, Chinese workshop. You can look it up yourself. It has a warm, rich sound, not as loud as my other one from my own player's point of view, but I've been told many times that it projects beautifully.

The 2 year old one is a Ming Jiang Zhu workshop violin. It has a rich, brilliant and powerful sound. There's a seller (Fiddlershop.com) who supports Violinist.com, who's posted videos of many Ming Jiang Zhu violins being played.

I don't have one myself, but Scott Cao is another importer who's instruments are highly regarded. If you ever had a problem with a Scott Cao violin, I believe that he would do whatever was needed to make it right.

July 23, 2016 at 01:31 AM · Except for one awful German violin, all my violins have been made in China. I have never had any problems with them. The sound either stays the same or improves over time.

July 23, 2016 at 01:57 AM · My son plays a high quality Chinese violin. Bought new five years ago it has continued to improve in sound. I would be happy for him to continue to play it up to conservatory level. If he then continues he can have one of my Italian fiddles.

Cheers Carlo

July 23, 2016 at 03:37 AM · Mark, I have a Scott Cao 750 that turned out to be a very poor quality violin. What makes yin say that he'd do whatever is needed to make it right?

July 23, 2016 at 04:30 AM · Maybe I spoke out of turn there. I live 40 minutes away from Scott Cao's Campbell, California studio and workshop. I've been there and met him and he just seems like a person with a lot of integrity. His shop is a comfortable place to visit, without the Persian rugs and French amoir's that often seem to characterize a certain segment of the business. Isn't a Cao model 750 kind of a low end model anyway? How bad is bad, and did you expect too much at that price point? And maybe it's the advantage I have of living near to him, but I really do believe that if I was in your situation, and I showed up at his shop, he would try hard to help me, and you too. What exactly is wrong with your violin, and did it start with problems or did they develop over time?

July 23, 2016 at 06:05 AM · My picnic fiddle (for outdoor weddings) is a Chinese student model in the $1500-$1800 price range. I've had it for over ten years and it's fine.

July 23, 2016 at 09:27 AM · My wife and I have China workshop made student instruments in the $1200 range we play for outdoor gigs, and so do dozens of our colleagues...they've lasted 10+ years, no issues.

July 23, 2016 at 09:48 AM · Since almost everyone agrees Chinese workshops can't fit bridges, soundposts or pegs adequately, what makes you think they are any better at making the violin bodies, than fitting the fittings????

July 23, 2016 at 12:12 PM · If you're in the US, have you tried looking at any well known US shops that ship and do trial periods? I'm sure there are others but I know KC strings has a couple dealers and they have some more affordable lines of instruments in the 2000 to 3000 range where they are partially completed in China or Romania and then graduated/finished/set up in their shop.

July 23, 2016 at 12:30 PM · I second Andrew's experience of the Jay Haides. Mine, a level below L'Ancienne, and which I use for practice, folk and as an occasional stand-in for orchestra, is still delivering the goods after 14 years with me. Currently, it is fitted with a Baroque tailpiece and a set of plain gut strings.

July 23, 2016 at 12:46 PM · My Yita is now 7 years old and is maybe getting better. As I would expect

July 23, 2016 at 04:18 PM · My Chinese violin is 16 years old and still great! Back when I got it, a professional violinist played it in a blind test against several much higher priced ones, including European made and old models, and it did very well, though I will say mine is a higher quality Chinese model - a high end Angel similar to or above the one reviewed in Strad years ago.

Point is, as with other fields like optics, Chinese made is no longer synonymous with poor quality. With any purchase, I'd recommend a try out and go with known makers and brands like those mentioned above.

Of course, if one has thousands to invest, one can be a lot more choosy!

July 23, 2016 at 04:21 PM · I have a Chinese violin in that price range that is about 8 years old and is holding steady. I recently decided to put it up for sale as i acquired another violin to serve the same function.

July 23, 2016 at 05:44 PM · Talk about a vote of confidence!!

July 23, 2016 at 09:48 PM · Mark, my first violin was a Scott Cao 750ES which cost $1,100. It's the lowest level of their "hand made" series for "advancing students" and supposedly made of European spruce and maple. Some shops claim the Kreisler 750 is one of the best selling models and gives you the best bang for your buck. Not al all. Mine never opened up, sounded choked and dead. Most of my classmates were playing Chinese violins in the $300-$500 range of Amazon that sounded much more beautiful. Also, the label inside my violin came with an attractive bar code sticker covering part of it!

July 23, 2016 at 11:33 PM · Thank you for your replies everybody. I don't know why I happen to get all the bad ones. Even so, I can't bring myself to discredit all Chinese instruments. As my search continues, I think that instead of dismissing them automatically as I have been doing, I'll consider Chinese violins that are at least two years old. If anything is wrong with them it should have shown itself by then.

As for the l,anciennes, with the serious quality control problems I had with the two that were sent to me, (I consider anything affecting the sound of an instrument as serious) I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that their lack of quality control extends to other facets of violin making. I just consider them to be of ordinary Chinese quality no more, no less.

Thank you all again for your replies.

P.S. The two violins that I owned that went bad were by a very well known workshop. I didn't want to say their name because they are longtime sponsors on this website.

July 23, 2016 at 11:37 PM · Chinese instruments are the only ones that may go south over time?

European made guarantees long lasting tonal perfection?

Is that correct ?

July 23, 2016 at 11:44 PM · You can pretty much assume a 100 year old antique is not going to get worse with time barring unforeseen damages (as the instrument has become quite stable after 100 years), the same can not be said of new violins, especially ones where quality control is in short supply.

July 24, 2016 at 12:10 AM · Seraphim, I never said all Chinese instruments go bad over time. Just the ones that I have owned. That's why I started this post, to see if it's an ongoing problem, or if I was just unlucky.

I should have added that I tend to consider older instruments first, for the reasons Lyndon stated above. I can't help but be uneasy about new instruments no matter where they are made.

July 24, 2016 at 02:50 AM · Mine WAS a vote of confidence - a realistic vote. My Chinese violin is a good violin for an advancing student or as a second violin for a pro for outdoor work or for a gig where you have to have a mic clamped on the instrument. It's also very pretty. I'm not going to say it's Strad when it isn't, but I've played on a number of authentic Strads that were so-so. People have been known to sell Strads or del Gesus, too if they get something they happen to like better or they want the liquid cash at a certain time.

When I made my Youtube of the Meditation from Thais with orchestra it got a lot of rave reviews and I also got asked about the fine violin and bow that I used. People were surprised to hear that I used a Chinese violin there as well! It was a more expensive one, a beautiful copy of the "Hellier" Strad. I since sold that to an excellent violinist and noted Concertmaster who still has it. His current main violin is a Joseph Guareneri pere (father of del Gesu) but he's still glad to have my former violin as well. The bow I used was also Chinese and I'd let that go, too. I'm also letting go, with mixed feelings, of a very good American violin and a fine Hill bow. No vote of no confidence anywhere. The 5 violins and 5 bows I'd be left with are enough for me. (I only have 2 arms!)

July 24, 2016 at 05:32 AM · I am baffled by the continuing negativity towards Chinese violins on Lyndon's part when the overwhelming majority of responses have been positive.

July 24, 2016 at 05:53 AM · Try reading the thread, half the responses have been negative experiences!!

July 24, 2016 at 07:29 AM · A lighthearted read, that explains all, Mary Ellen

(I did enjoy reading it, Lyndon :^) )

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/2010/10/trickle-up-economic-theory-and.html?m=1

July 24, 2016 at 07:44 AM · Thanks Seraphim, thats my blog with a fictional trade war with China over violins, quite aimed at the humorous side of things.

www.trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com

July 24, 2016 at 08:53 AM · Time for Lyndon to offer his clients better quality/sound options by carrying mid level and high level Chinese violins. You owe it to your customer base.

Just wondering...I'm sure most of Lyndon's nice wardrobe was made by slave labor in China too.

July 24, 2016 at 05:28 PM · My guess is that everything that Lyndon does not sell is crap ;-)

July 24, 2016 at 05:28 PM · If we all insisted on buying 100 year old European made violins I doubt that there would be anywhere near enough to satisfy demand. The soaring price would soon put them out of reach of most people anyway.

July 24, 2016 at 09:10 PM · Some further perspective: Elmar Oliveira has a number of Chinese violins in his large collection - and yes he has played some of them in public. David Nadien, known for his great playing but not known to be a spendthrift, once bought 3 Chinese violins in one day! And yours truly is keeping 2 particularly fine Chinese bows in his permanent collection, which includes an FR Simon, an EA Ouchard and a Louis Bazin. My first CD was made with a Chinese violin and as with the video alluded to above (with a different Chinese violin) I surprised some people who asked me what I used as they thought I had used something much more expensive. Chinese makers have won prizes in competitions held in Italy and the USA.

I'm not trying to convince Lyndon because nothing will change his inner prejudice. But Lyndon did bring up a worthwhile point above re fittings and set-up. I have seen the following a number of times with non-Chinese makers: Some makers seem to be good at set-up but overall, not as good at making. Others make excellent violins but are somehow weak at set-up and their violins are improved by others who aren't otherwise nearly as good at making. And some are equally good or poor at both. It seems to be a different skill set. Once I went to a doctor who, sensing my nervousness at the impending blood test, suggested that his nurse do it as she had a lighter touch with the needle than he did. Some otherwise fine players don't have any staccato; some otherwise poor players do. Some otherwise good drivers have a lot of trouble with parallel parking.

Anyway, everyone else, I hope what I have written here and above is helpful. Yes, there are indeed cheaply made, inexpensive Chinese violins and bows. That was true of some mass-produced German violins about a century ago as well. But mid to upper range Chinese violins and bows compare well to most other nationalities and are often better than many. And they usually give you much more bang for your buck.

July 25, 2016 at 12:27 AM · What part of "I run an antique violin shop" do you guys not understand, I sell antiques not modern Chinese or otherwise, I have a lot of good reasons why I think affordably priced antiques can compete and beat similarly price new violins, If you don't like that you can go to any other violin shop that sells modern violins........

July 25, 2016 at 01:22 AM · Though I don't like the negative bias against chinese instruments either, it is fair to say that many French factory instruments, *usually offered* at a similar price than many new modern chinese could indeed be a better value. Or worse. In short, it's not as easy as betting on certain modern models as universally safe buys. One should try whatever can be afforded, rather than *just* chinese, *just* Mirecourt, etc.

I would certainly never blind-buy any of the modern factory models unless I play and explore them first. That some of these may work for many a Professional as a second violin doesn't mean that all models must be up to each player's par.

July 25, 2016 at 02:05 AM · I was just reading an article about the widespread use of child slavery in Markneukirchen and Klingenthal during the violin boom days. Would those violins then not be considered fair trade if innocent children were exploited in the course of their production?

July 25, 2016 at 03:02 AM · reference please??? I've never heard the traditional European apprentice system being referred to as child slavery before, though I guess by modern standards (which do not apply in China) it might be possible.

By the same standards the modern education system could be referred to as child slavery, as apprenticeships were not much different than the circa 1900 version of high school.

July 25, 2016 at 03:55 PM · I would also add a caution - I have no evidence this occurs with violins, but was and is being done widely with "Russian" folk art. After the borders opened up, Russian artisans could not keep up with the demand, and imported Chinese made Russian style matryoshka and palech boxes which generate far more revenue that the hours of labor involved. The vast majority for sale now are not made in Russia, even if the dealers claims - same thing with fake tags.

Point is, I would advise caution buying an "Eastern European" brand with the idea one is not buying a Chinese made violin, you might be! It may only be "finished " in Eastern Europe, if that. We do know several brands given European names are Chinese made.

Buying one over a hundred years old from Lyndon or another dealer would bypass that, if one has the $$$. Still, I would not discount getting a good modern Chinese violin.

July 25, 2016 at 04:11 PM · I should point out that IMHO buying 100 year old antiques instead of new Chinese is only a good option if the antiques are priced reasonably or discounted, and are of a better quality, especially tone wise, I am a discount violin shop, for instance I am currently involved in selling a decent French JTL Celebre Vosgien model for $1000, great sound for the price, but if you price it at $2000 or more like many high end shops might, it ceases to be such a bargain. I'm not claiming antiques are always a better deal, I'm just claiming SOME antiques when priced reasonably will give the Chinese competition a run for its money.

July 25, 2016 at 05:12 PM · "I should point out that IMHO buying 100 year old antiques instead of new Chinese is only a good option if the antiques are priced reasonably.....

Wouldn't "reasonable pricing", or "bang for the buck" apply to almost any violin transaction, new or old, Chinese, European, or American?

I've toured a Chinese violin-making factory, and while it's probably not up to Western standards (like pneumatically controlled ergonomic chairs and such), I didn't think of it as anything close to "slavery".

People in China go to the big factories, whether violin-making or otherwise, to put in some hard work, realizing that this will likely enable them to return to their home town with enough money to buy a home, or start a business.

In other words, they see it as opportunity.

Sure, it isn't likely that I or those factory workers will ever be able to afford the quarter-million-dollar, twin-turbo Porsche that my dentist just bought.

July 25, 2016 at 05:16 PM · I haven't heard much about dealers heavily discounting Chinese violins, quite the opposite in fact......

PS its kind of hard to save up enough money to buy a house working for $1/hr, violin workers are near the bottom of the Chinese economy.

July 25, 2016 at 06:59 PM · What, exactly, would a "discount" be? Selling below cost? Marking things up enough to keep a "brick and mortar" business up and running?

July 25, 2016 at 07:13 PM · I was just looking at the archives at maestronet and the general opinion was that it's not where the violin was made, but the wood that was used.

I looked up the two makers that Mark mentioned and it seems that their instruments are made with European wood. At least, that's what they claim. The two violins I owned that went bad were made with Chinese spruce and maple. So, maybe that's the difference between good and bad Chinese instruments.

July 25, 2016 at 07:14 PM · The mark up on new Chinese violins is higher than the mark up on genuine antiques, I guess you're not part of the standard retail business to see these things.

Take the Jay Haide line, I'm willing to bet they don't pay the factory in China more than $300/violin, then some set up in America?? and the price goes up to $3500. You can't normally buy an antique for $300, set it up and sell it for $3500. Once in a while maybe, but not normally.

Actually David, I assume the price of Chinese violins bought straight from the factory is probably part of you expertise, perhaps you could enlighten us.

July 25, 2016 at 07:53 PM · Leon, there's nothing wrong with Chinese wood if its dried properly, and is good tone wood, famous American makers have been using American wood for years, its not where the wood comes from, its how good it rings and what you do with it.

There's a gift related to choosing good tone wood, not all maple and spruce is tone wood quality, same is true for Italian wood as it is for Chinese.

July 25, 2016 at 08:17 PM · Lyndon wrote:

"Actually David, I assume the price of Chinese violins bought straight from the factory is probably part of you expertise, perhaps you could enlighten us."

Your assumption would be very much in error. I have never bought even one Chinese instrument straight from the factory. Over the last ten years or so, the only Chinese violins I've purchased were two Jay-Haide violins, from Ifshin in California. I paid a really exceptional colleague to finesse and set them up to unusually high standards, and neither has had any problems.

So there will be no apologies whatsoever from me, for my minuscule and high-integrity role in the Chinese violin trade, nor do any instruments I sell under my own label have anything remotely to do with Chinese origin.

July 25, 2016 at 08:23 PM · I never implied you were buying Chinese violins, I just assumed in your several trips to visit Chinese violin factories you discussed the prices of their product??

July 25, 2016 at 08:44 PM · I have never been to China to visit violin making factories. I have been in China as one of the judges for the China Violin Making Competition, and the organizers arranged some side trips for us. I discussed wages, working techniques, and working conditions in the factories with a number of Chinese who spoke English, but not factory selling prices, as that wasn't useful, or of much interest to me.

July 25, 2016 at 08:56 PM · So were any of the wages much higher than minimum, which is about $1/hr???

Which as I understand it has about as much buying power in China as a minimum wage job at McDonalds in America, I read somewhere a basic meal for the factory workers was about $1 or an hours work, not that different than here.

July 25, 2016 at 09:41 PM · Philosophically speaking, how is the desire to boycott Chinese made violins going to help Chinese workers earn a better living?

July 25, 2016 at 09:43 PM · So they can make more and better cellphones, they don't seem to understand the basics of violins, and no, we do not have a shortage of violins, just a shortage of people qualified to repair them willing to work for reasonable wages..

July 25, 2016 at 09:48 PM · The point is these factory workers in China are being payed the Chinese equivalent of what fast food workers at McDonalds in America are payed. SO if you're wondering why your Chinese violin is not improving with age, and has poorly fit fittings, maybe its because the workers are being payed so little, they are not "inspired" to do any better job.

July 25, 2016 at 10:08 PM · I guess that explains why the McDonalds french fries I buy don't improve with age. If only the workers were paid more..... ;-)

July 25, 2016 at 10:16 PM · You mean the very high wages you get for making violins doesn't contribute to how good your violins are, David??

July 25, 2016 at 10:31 PM · So, how does reducing demand for the product translate to higher wages for the workers?

Less people buying the violins=less money for the company to be able to pay workers.

Who gets the money when purchasing an antique? Concern over worker's wages should reach a fever pitch there. The worker. No longer gets any wages, only money grubbing dealers purveying used goods.

July 25, 2016 at 10:38 PM · Well I don't know what you think, but this money grubbing dealer is a worker, and those antique violins don't fix themselves.

Conversely more Chinese violins, means less employed repairmen, its their jobs or ours. Till pretty soon you're having your $10,000 concert violin set up by Joe at the Guitar shop, the only guy that still works on violins.

One of my bread and butter jobs is fixing up someone's grandparents antique violin, in your world you'd have to tell them their grandparent was an idiot for buying German and offer them a new Chinese POS!!!

July 25, 2016 at 10:46 PM · "Conversely more Chinese violins, means less employed repairmen, its their jobs or ours."

Aha!

So it's NOT about concern over low wages for the poor Chinese then, is it?

July 25, 2016 at 11:26 PM · I hope the Chinese workers wages go up and up, it will only make antiques more competitive.

July 26, 2016 at 02:15 AM · Lyndon wrote:

"Conversely more Chinese violins, means less employed repairmen, its their jobs or ours. Till pretty soon you're having your $10,000 concert violin set up by Joe at the Guitar shop, the only guy that still works on violins."

Chinese violins don't need repairs????

And how soon is this great cataclysm of disappearing repair people going to happen? Earlier this summer, I spent a week with at least 50 of them, spread over three specialty workshops. And repair/maintenance is the field that most of the violin making school graduates are actually going into.

July 26, 2016 at 02:35 AM · Glad its going well for you and your friends, unfortunately many shops are struggling in the present marketplace.

July 26, 2016 at 04:52 AM · Having had the rug pulled from under me in the past when my IT job was outsourced to $1.25/hour workers abroad, I fully understand and sympathize with Lyndon on what comes to one's livelihood being threatened by 'cheaper alternatives' in the global market. That is a pretty complicated socioeconomic problem.

My experience with Chinese violins has been promising so far. The two I have are pretty acceptable examples. They have their quirks, but many violins do! The stigma of being 'Chinese' makes the quirks ten times worse! If they were family heirlooms from 1900 it wouldn't matter if they had wolves all over or something, they would still be prized possessions. But they're Chinese, so they're automatically 'worse' than anything non-Chinese out there. ;)

But it was a fact that until recently (and still on their bottom-of-line models) the Chinese were notorious for using crappy woods and craftsmanship and creating the fabled VSOs that gave their violins such a bad reputation.

These days there are good ones and there are bad ones out there, but like with most things, the bad ones will outnumber the good ones.

Mine aren't a year old yet, but they seem to have been done correctly with the wood and craftsmanship. Time will tell! For now, they're holding up well.

July 26, 2016 at 05:06 AM · Believe it or not, I'm not involved in a war against Chinese violins, I'm involved in a war to have people equally consider antiques and moderns when choosing a violin, and not be automatically be led into the fallacy the moderns are automatically superior to similarly priced antiques, that's all.

July 27, 2016 at 03:20 AM · NOT.

July 27, 2016 at 04:01 AM · ???????????????????

July 27, 2016 at 08:02 AM · I think Raphael's "NOT" means he does NOT believe you. But I could be wrong.

Like in "To be or NOT to be, that is the question. Whether t'is nobler to believe in the Chinese fiddles or stick with the recent antiques ..." (With apologies to William Shakespeare, who didn't make Chinese fiddles OR use slave labour, but did write sonnets to his black mistress in the local brothel, as he highly valued her ...)

July 27, 2016 at 09:26 AM · Well I don't believe in people's right to buy Chinese fiddles enough to sell them at my own store, but I do believe in their right to buy them from someone else's store, I just don't think a lot of them are that great a deal, price wise.

July 27, 2016 at 09:46 AM ·

July 27, 2016 at 11:11 AM · Peter is right. I thought Lyndon offered a choice! ;-) I could say more but I'm kind of busy the next couple of days...

But speaking of Hamlet, 'to use spray-on varnish or finish by hand - aye, there's the rub!' :-D

July 27, 2016 at 12:49 PM · I do offer a choice, buy from everyone else who offers new Chinese, or buy from my that offers reasonably priced antiques.

Anyway I thought the option was rubbing the varnish on by hand or with a brush???

July 27, 2016 at 02:12 PM · Lyndon is not alone. There is a bow maker in Chicago who also sells older German and French violins only. I asked him why and he said that, since he doesn't do repairs, he got tired of Chinese violins coming back to him with quality control problems.

My conversation with him is why I asked my original question. I wanted to get other viewpoints.

July 27, 2016 at 02:18 PM · Sounds like the Chinese violins would HELP make more repair jobs. Lyndon said it would put them all out of business.

July 27, 2016 at 05:30 PM · Old French/German instruments, regardless pedigree, may require middle-ground to expensive repairs on ocassion just due to their frequently over 100 years old age, however.

July 27, 2016 at 06:06 PM · Depends on the instrument, if a violin is over 100 years old, has no cracks and a proper neck angle, it is actually less likely to need future repairs than a brand new instrument, on account of it has stabilized, the wood is totally dry, and no problems have arisen in over 100 years.

July 27, 2016 at 06:37 PM · Yet, in a previous post:

"Well I don't know what you think, but this money grubbing dealer is a worker, and those antique violins don't fix themselves.

One of my bread and butter jobs is fixing up someone's grandparents antique violin..."

Sounds like these antiques often are in need of fixing?

July 27, 2016 at 07:01 PM · Usually bridge, soundpost, leveling fingerboard and sometimes pegs, same as any new Chinese instrument

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe