Violin Case Integrity

July 12, 2016 at 06:19 AM · Hello,

Lately, I have been visiting my friend's cottage, and often it involves a lot of drinking, and we frequently face rain storm.

At my first visit, I brought my violin in its case, it surprisingly survived having an intoxicated 230lb(me) person falling on it, and survived being dropped off of a bed a few times.

I was actually afraid of opening the case to inspect the instrument on the day we were leaving, but everything is fine, including the case. Although, I stopped bringing the good violin, and started bringing my electric violin and amp up at the cottage for safety since then.

This no-name brand case costed me $150 Cdn about 3 years ago, and it is serving me apparently quite well.

However, it's a oblong case which is not most convenient to travel with. I have been toying with an idea of upgrading the case for the past little while. Have anyone had the unfortunate opportunity to test physical integrity of their shaped case, and recommendations?

Replies (21)

July 12, 2016 at 01:59 PM · Drink less?

July 12, 2016 at 02:51 PM · What are you doing? You keep breaking your fingers on a monthly basis, you get so wasted that you almost destroy your instrument (the very one that was too precious to you to be played)? Doesn't sound like you are serious about the violin after all.

If I were to endanger my violin through my uncontrolled drinking, the first thing I'd change wouldn't be the violin case. I'd lay off the booze.

July 12, 2016 at 03:02 PM · Rainstorm or brainstorm?

July 12, 2016 at 03:16 PM · The only shaped case I have is a Musafia Dart-shape. Musafia has a latch that looks like it should not fail, and failure of the latch is one of the reasons cases fail, once the latch fails there is no structure to keep the sides of the case parallel.

I had a friend who forgot she had put her cheap, old violin-in-case on top of her car trunk before she backed down the driveway and --- anyhow the case was crushed under the tires and her violin (fortunately insured for $25,000) was totally destroyed so she was able to replace it with a well-worn Vicenzo Panormo.

After that happened I ended up with 2 Musafia cases, one the Dart and the other oblong, both have that special latch - I hope to never give them the "car test."

Andy

July 12, 2016 at 03:44 PM · When David Garrett broke his precious Guadagnini he said it had been in a "lightweight and comfortable rather than robust" case - the instrument was horribly damaged.

So I'd go for a high-quality case like Musafia, too.

I have an oblong Jakob Winter case which I'm very fond of and so far it has served me well: pushing and shoving in the subway, lying in car trunk, being carried hither and yon, my violin has always been safe and the case still looks like new. But I don't know if it would pass the "car test" or any other severe accident.

July 12, 2016 at 07:04 PM · I personally wish for a case that has protection as priority, but shaped, such that I can carry it a little bit easier. This case would not fit in an overhead cabinet in a plane, it's big for that.

July 12, 2016 at 07:05 PM · Adrian, I wanted to mention the rainstorm, for water resistance/humidity protection, but I have no measure or comparison to make for protection. Similarly for temperature.

July 12, 2016 at 08:01 PM · Steven,

your case passed one of nine tests scenarios for Satravi certification. Go on, try another 8 and buy the same case if your violin survives...

Alternatively, empty your wallet and get a Musafia. You could drink with Russians and end up under the table, it would not matter anymore!

http://www.musafia.com/satravi.html

R

July 13, 2016 at 12:16 AM · Musafia cases can be bought with waterproofing, and his cases have actually been tested for it.

July 13, 2016 at 01:42 AM · You have my vote for Musafia.I've had it since December and its been great so far .

July 13, 2016 at 06:03 AM · You can add Caballero, GL, Negri, Riboni, and T.A. Timms to the list of good cases. They are not SATRAVI certified, but will offer better protection than most other cases, including the big industrial names.

That said, a good case is essential, but even more so is handling it with care and respect for the violin inside. No case can protect the instrument from possible damage in the event of carelessness!

July 13, 2016 at 01:53 PM · Have you thought about using longer screws in the inner compartment lid Dimitri? One of the hinges keeps pulling out as you open the lid.I put some foil duct tape over the hinge and its holding but I noticed the screws are only about 5mm long.Perhaps 10mm screws would dig into the compartment wall a little deeper.

This is a small concern and does not impinge on my total satisfaction and peace of mind owning such a well made product.My Garimberti is safely nestled in luxury!

July 13, 2016 at 03:22 PM · In my experience a case that costs $150 should offer your violin *reasonable* protection. Reasonable does not include the "car test" or the "ass test" or the "thunderstorm test" or the "drunken moron test" as these threats are meant to be prevented rather than defended. It's true that oblong cases are a little harder to travel with. That much harder, though, really? And the oblong case fits nicely in the Joey backpack.

July 13, 2016 at 04:05 PM · Peter, there is usually a reason for everything. Please e-mail me privately at info@musafia.com, thank you.

July 13, 2016 at 04:12 PM · Thanks Dimitri.

July 14, 2016 at 04:03 PM · Paul, the issue is that I will need to air-travel in the near future, and I need something that is small enough to qualify for carry-on items. I've asked companies at the airport and this oblong case is too long and thick for their specified dimensions.

July 14, 2016 at 04:19 PM · Bam Hightech Overhead Violin case. A bit pricey if you ask me. Also quite obscure inside....

Not sure if you could sit on it. The bow has to go into a separate tube, which again may get unwanted attention at the check-in. Even short baroque bow can not fit! Unless you are a frequent flyer, a total waste of money.

July 15, 2016 at 11:29 PM · Hello Dimitri, how can I contact you via e-mail? I wish to inquire for a second-hand dart shaped case on discount.

July 15, 2016 at 11:33 PM · Steven - Dimitri gave his email in his last post above.

July 16, 2016 at 02:16 AM · Yes, I've just noticed it after I posted my last. Thank you, I should get some more sleep now.

July 29, 2016 at 07:06 AM · Well, thanks to a burglar, my violin budget has shrank, no new case for me for another year. I am left with modifying my current case for a more secure carriage, and pseudo waterproofing.

Now the true challenge would be talking airlines into letting me keep this as carry-on item in a plane with me.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe