Just some survey

July 11, 2016 at 06:23 AM · I know, This is a violinist's website, But I also do see some viola players of this site.

I want to know if this site is concentrated on violin players or, are there also viola players who make discussions here, and talk to each other.

(YES, I DO KNOW THAT THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IN THE VIOLIN AND VIOLA IS, there is no E string and there is a C" string in compensation. And violas are usually the voicing of the score in an orchestra, also, full size viola is 2" bigger than a violin)

Replies (22)

July 11, 2016 at 03:07 PM · Yes, there are some of viola players, closet viola players and bi-instrumentalists here 8-;

We do not talk to each other, but rather type about some interesting topics.

Once in a blue moon, someone may in fact transform from virtual to real person, knock on your door and ask to play duets with you!

Welcome aboard!

July 11, 2016 at 04:55 PM · Type "viola" in the search box: some of us violists say interesting stuff!

July 11, 2016 at 06:27 PM · Yes, we also make discussions, reply, etc.

July 11, 2016 at 06:34 PM · Well, you have a few people here who admit to playing viola - so take courage from that! It's a great instrument in the string quartet and in other situations.

But viola players do tend to wear tin hats and camouflage ... (wink).

July 11, 2016 at 07:03 PM · In fact there is quite broad and frequent support and discussion of the viola in violinist.com. Many of us who play both instruments like to make the inevitable comparing-and-contrasting of both repertoire and technique. But, as you have already learned from the few posts that proceeded mine, we are flatly incapable of having any kind of viola related discussion without resorting to teasing and chuckling. You can usually get your thread righted again, unless the humor has taken a bad turn, for example toward what some call "British" humor.

July 11, 2016 at 07:49 PM · Luckily, British humor will no longer be allowed for export after the Brexit takes effect...

;^)

July 11, 2016 at 09:01 PM · The world will be at a loss then, if we can't export our humour, and we can't import any because there IS no foreign humour to import. The last laugh will be with us as we will have to rely only on our own home grown humour ... But I think we may be laughing all the way to the bank!

July 11, 2016 at 09:02 PM ·

July 12, 2016 at 02:43 AM · we are here and you will be assimilated :)

July 12, 2016 at 03:10 PM · Type "violin viola duets" into U-toob, and choose Mozart or Halvorssen to get a real sense of the similarities and differences.

July 12, 2016 at 03:16 PM · REAL violas are 3" bigger than a violin....

July 12, 2016 at 03:21 PM · It's often said that a violin "sounds like a million bucks!"

Well, only a Strad viola can sound like $45 million bucks:

July 12, 2016 at 03:45 PM · 16"? 17"? Here we go! As bright young things, we go for that deep, often slightly grainy tone of the 17" viola.

Towards 50 years old and thereafter, the trouble starts: neck, shoulder, (from the extra weight and length) and what I call "viola elbow" (as in "tennis elbow") from working hard on an extended pinky together with an extended arm, leading to excruciating inflamation in the outer corner of the elbow.

At 67yo, I have a 15-3/4" 2-cornered viola with a 14" string length inspired by Gasparo's "Lyra-viola" in the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford, UK. (Try googling this). Its tone is deep,warm and powerful, without being either boomy or nasal. (Made in the workshop of Bernard Sabatier, Paris, France. Not to be confused with his 3-cornered assymetric violas in fractional sizes, which sell here like hot cakes.))

July 12, 2016 at 05:45 PM · I hear you.

But c'mon....plenty of folks injure themselves on those tiny little 14" violins. So, you may as well enjoy the deep, lovely tone of a 17" viola as you ruin your body making music...

July 13, 2016 at 07:22 AM · Perhaps the anti pop-up apps could be adjusted to remove viola jokes?

July 14, 2016 at 10:35 PM · My only comment is that there are more differences between the violin and viola than just the top and bottom strings and body length. There is a different mentality to playing the viola, and different physical techniques required. Sure, they are closely related, but the viola is not just a big violin. For one thing, sound comes out of the violin much more easily, where the viola generally requires a bit more "weight" (not pressure!) in the right arm. The viola is usually the "glue" in an orchestra or string quartet. A great book to read, although it is rare and difficult to find, is "Playing the Viola" by David Dalton, with extensive interviews with William Primrose. Fascinating stuff!

July 15, 2016 at 12:00 AM · Winkler, I am so sorry I haven't heard about your book before. I actually have a question. Do you have to raise your elbow a bit higher on the viola?

July 15, 2016 at 05:41 PM · I tend to sink my right elbow a little more on the viola.

My left elbow is the same on both instruments, since my viola is tilted more than my violin by appropiate adjustments of CR & SR.

I hold my viola as high as my violin, but it is not an obsession: 'Cellos are nearly vertical, and they manage..

July 15, 2016 at 08:00 PM · I tend to sink my right elbow a little more on the viola.

I would just feel my spirit sink if I had to play viola again ... (wink) (Just kidding!)

July 15, 2016 at 08:57 PM · British humour alert!

;^)

July 17, 2016 at 09:52 AM · Yes, but Peter did use some nice italics.

July 28, 2016 at 07:30 PM · Krisztian I do think that a lower right elbow helps with getting a "good viola tone".

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition
ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

AVIVA Young Artist Program

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe