I've never heard of this bow before (R. Geipel)

July 1, 2016 at 09:26 PM · So I was given a student violin a few years ago and just recently have I become interested in it and playing it. I researched the name which on the bow read, "R. Geipel" and I found some information but the only images I found were of a bow with the name "Richard Geipel" and most of the bows for auction were very old and mine looks fairly new, untouched even.

If this bow is anything is it genuine?

Thank you

https://imgur.com/a/3n4dL (photos of the bow and "r. Geipel" near the frog)

Replies (25)

July 2, 2016 at 04:49 AM · you don't really know what's missing either :)

July 2, 2016 at 05:21 AM · Looks like a German trade bow from the same workshop as bows branded, "Erich Steiner". Difficult to tell from the pictures, but it looks like it is Brazilwood

July 2, 2016 at 08:29 PM · Krisztian, you should be able to post multiple paragraphs in a single response, rather than having to post each paragraph separately.

July 3, 2016 at 12:43 AM · @Krisztian. I would like to add... you don't have to reply to every topic especially when, it is clear from what you write, you have little idea of the subject. I feel this board is a place to have an informed discussion. As a newbe to the violin world, by all means contribute when have a question or intelligent comment to make, but don't hog the board with your uniformed opinion.

I would also like to suggest you write in English. Your first paragraph is marginal in meaning and your second is totally unintelligible. In my opinion, words like "bro", "sellin", "somethin" and "bucks", not to mention "museal" have no place on this board. Please keep the slang for your "bro"s.

Cheers Carlo

July 3, 2016 at 05:51 AM · I'm 100% sober, thank you. And yes you have just made a personal attack on me, against forum rules.

July 3, 2016 at 06:32 AM · You insinuated I was a drug addict, definitely against forum rules, and blatantly untrue.

July 3, 2016 at 06:35 AM · @Krisztian. In your own words you say, "I have no idea about bows". This is clearly self-evident in your responses.

Why then did you make five posts on a subject in which you have "no idea"? Also, why are you making multiple posts on other subjects that you also, in my opinion, have little knowledge?

By all means read, lurk, and learn. Ask intelligent questions and share your thoughts, in moderation, when they are pertinent and informed.

Cheers Carlo

July 3, 2016 at 08:21 AM · cheers Carlo :)

July 3, 2016 at 04:36 PM · @Amanda. Apologies for hijacking your thread. In my opinion, your bow looks like a German trade bow, and to me doesn't look like modern Chinese work. It could well be genuine, but not particularly valuable. Does it play well?

Cheers Carlo

July 3, 2016 at 05:46 PM · I'm afraid I have to totally agree with Carlo, and also of course Lyndon. Such comments are out of order. People should also be more circumspect when talking about bows, instruments, and also violin playing technique, not to mention comments about what people may be doing in their lives, without any knowledge.

July 6, 2016 at 11:35 PM · It looks like the same bow that I have. Supposedly German made. Bought mine online a few years ago. I can't even remember the site that I bought it from. I think I paid around $190. It actually plays well too !

July 7, 2016 at 11:31 PM · 190 bucks is nice :)

July 9, 2016 at 08:54 AM · Brazilwood Nickel mount bows don't usually go for much more than $200 (although on ebay, anything is possible!!), Just because you see a Geipel on the net doesn't mean its also Brazilwood Nickel mount. The Geipel brand presumably included several levels up to Pernambuco Silver mount etc, of which this model would have been near the bottom.

July 13, 2016 at 10:01 AM · @Krisztian. To me, your posts are still somewhat unintelligible. Please use the Queen's English and please avoid slang. I personally find it hard to understand what you write.

Could you please explain the meaning of this sentence, "I think I never heard translates to that this is the only known playable left"

I agree with Lyndon regarding the varied levels of quality and mounts in factory made bows, and hence the range of prices. To argue when you, in your own words, have "no idea about bows" is, in my opinion, churlish.

Cheers Carlo

July 13, 2016 at 06:19 PM · As far as I know there's no forum policy against using slang, and English does not seem to be Krisztians primary language so cut him some slack, we have more than enough old fogey's on the forum, maybe some youth will spice things up!!

July 13, 2016 at 08:22 PM · @Lyndon. Fair point well made.

By the way, at what age does old fogey-ism set in? I am still south of fifty...

Cheers Carlo

July 13, 2016 at 08:43 PM · At about the age you start telling young people they're not using the English language properly, I would guess!!

July 13, 2016 at 10:32 PM · Touché

Santé Charles

July 14, 2016 at 02:55 AM · I think that posters for whom English is not a first language should simply try to write in the best English that they can. Using odd slang or abbreviations makes a difficult-to-comprehend post even less comprehensible.

I end up just skipping over Krisztian's posts as hopelessly unreadable, for the most part.

July 14, 2016 at 07:36 AM · :)

July 14, 2016 at 10:57 AM ·

July 14, 2016 at 11:43 PM · Krisztian. Are you using an auto translate? As that would explain a lot. I only "allegate against your English" because I, and many others I am sure, have difficulty understanding you.

Cheers Carlo

July 27, 2016 at 03:08 PM · For those actually being helpful to my post, it's a fairly light bow and definitely plays beautifully. I recieved it secondhand which leads me to believe that if it was any value it would have been taken by the original seller of the violin. But being that it is a good name and I can't seem to find any copies online I'm thinking it might be newer but still genuine?? The hairs break easily but it might be my fault, again, it plays beautifully on my student violin..

July 27, 2016 at 04:19 PM · I think i is an original. from the way You speak about it ;-)

July 27, 2016 at 04:27 PM · If your bowhair is breaking easily possibly it is old and brittle and time for a rehair. This will cost about 60-100 dollars. As long as you are happy with how it plays then keep using it as is. I get my bows rehaired every nine months to a year because new hair is like new strings to me.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe