How to Make a Violin Look Better?

June 19, 2016 at 12:45 AM · How could I make my violin look more attractive?

Replies (35)

June 19, 2016 at 01:41 AM · Put it in an attractive case.

June 19, 2016 at 01:53 AM · Lol, Rocky. Or you could buy that extravagant fine tuner with a diamond ball and put it on the tale.

Seriously, some pictures could help us to determine what's wrong with the actual look of it. Also, define what's "attractive" to you. I've seen a lot of violins my friends consider beautiful and I consider ugly, and vice versa.

June 19, 2016 at 03:04 AM · Alexi: Is that your violin in your avatar photo? looks good to me. What make is it? Looks like it's got a bit deeper channeling and higher arch than a standard Strad copy.

June 19, 2016 at 03:47 AM · Keep it clean, free of rosin build-up.

June 19, 2016 at 03:54 AM · Glue $100 bills to it?

(might attract the wrong crowd)

June 19, 2016 at 04:57 AM · @Don. I'm with you on the glue, but how about Swarovski crystals? They could be stuck on in the shape of $ signs...

Alexi, you could get your family crest engraved into a 18ct gold shield, and inlaid into your tailpiece. I've seen this done before.

Cheers Carlo

June 19, 2016 at 05:07 AM · I'm confused; your question is about your violin but your profile says you are a violist.

I am really having a hard time resisting the urge to make a viola joke right now.

June 19, 2016 at 10:58 AM · Hi Alexi,

If that is your instrument in the picture then I agree with Dave and all you need to do is gently wipe it with a soft clean cloth when you have finished your playing. And also wipe the rosin dust off the your bow.

If you take your violin to a luthier they can look at it and decide what is best for it and what is best to do with it. My two average violins get aa coat of oil every couple of years but he will not apply this mixture to my primary violin. He makes his own oil mixture and it has a faint citrus smell which lasts for about six months. It takes him about ten minutes to wipe the instrument and fingerboard and charges very little for the procedure.

June 19, 2016 at 12:33 PM · Cow dung liberally applied to a fiddle always makes it look a lot better. When being played the smell is very inspirational.

And if you are violist you should say at least 300,000 Hail Mary's. Or drink 300 pints of best bitter in one go ... or play Svevcik for at least 300 years, 12 hours a day.

PS OR you could look at it through ROSE TINTED spectacles - like I did at my first wife ...

June 19, 2016 at 12:51 PM · Put it closer to some piece of furniture. If not available, a piano would do the trick as well.

As you may infer, we violinists are all very responsible and helpful and particularly sensitive.

P.S. The instrument in the avatar, looks good by itself. Do whatever you feel like.

P.S. no2 The cow dung fix works better on hot humid days. Don't try it in a dry climate, it could backfire.

June 19, 2016 at 12:54 PM · Hermes - very brilliant reply!!

June 19, 2016 at 01:40 PM · Thank you Peter :)

June 20, 2016 at 05:59 AM · As for most violinist, either beginner or professional players, (Me as a beginner) I can find making your violin attractive by making it look like an "Antonio Stradivari" look of a violin. Pasting $100 bills is no good and will break off the varnish.

There is just one problem, "MAKE IT LOOK LIKE AN ANTONIO STRADIVARI"??!! How!???

June 20, 2016 at 10:24 AM · Why ? Does your violin have an inferiority complex ?

June 20, 2016 at 06:19 PM · A nice, even coat of spray paint can work wonders for jazzing up your violin.

June 20, 2016 at 07:48 PM · Maybe Eddie Van Halen could help.

Dave

June 22, 2016 at 09:38 AM · Perhaps you could ask Rachel Barton Pine for some Slayer/Anthrax/Metallica stickers to stick all over it?

June 22, 2016 at 11:26 AM · I was very impressed to see many fiddles at a blue grass contest decorated with gossamer decals. Very nice but I don't know where to buy them. ( could there be something Shar doesn't sell ? )

June 22, 2016 at 01:39 PM · https://duckduckgo.com/?q=violin+decals&iax=1&ia=images

June 22, 2016 at 02:18 PM · It seems that many young students seem to think a good upgrade to the look of their violin is to scratch their initials into the varnish. So, you could give that a try...

June 22, 2016 at 02:55 PM · Among members of my Scottish fiddle group, it is popular to tie pompoms or tassels to the base of the scroll. As wild and colorful as you wish without damaging anything.

June 22, 2016 at 08:25 PM · Joking aside, there are many examples of rich ornamentation on violins made during Baroque era, especially if they were commissioned for a royal patron.

Typically the back of the violin, but also along the purfing on the top and sometimes in the corners as well.

Problem is that, unless properly done, this will inevitably affect the sound.

June 25, 2016 at 08:24 PM · Get a new violin????

June 25, 2016 at 08:43 PM · @Seraphim. There was a chap with the initials NP who carved them into his violins. It has improved, not lowered their value:-)

Cheers Carlo

June 26, 2016 at 04:50 PM · How to improve a viola? Put it right back in its case! Hahahahahah..

June 26, 2016 at 05:06 PM · I thought you were a viola player Adrian?

June 26, 2016 at 09:16 PM · You could always make it look like a conductor. That would improve it (at least according to most conductors).

June 26, 2016 at 09:19 PM · Who is Rachel Barton Pine ? A new violin with a pine belly?

July 10, 2016 at 09:35 PM · Why should you want a better looking instrument instead of a better sounding instrument?

July 10, 2016 at 11:26 PM · I don't know about anyone else but if I have a nice looking instrument it will make me wanna practice more!! Though it's true that a bad sounding instruments will probably make me put it back down.... Maybe they are both important?

July 11, 2016 at 01:39 AM · I also think there is intrinsic merit in the instrument being attractive. Otherwise why would luthiers work so hard to make it so.

July 11, 2016 at 07:16 AM · Put it next to a viola.

July 11, 2016 at 03:04 PM · Kypros, a good one!

July 11, 2016 at 04:08 PM · I find sparkly stars placed strategically all over the violin to improve appearance, you no longer have a cheap Chinese violin, now you have a cheap Chinese violin with sparkly stars, big difference.

July 11, 2016 at 04:32 PM · Rocky, a former conductor of one of my orchestras, himself a professional cellist, has a cello with the coat of arms of Frederick the Great on the back.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe