Is it a chance that my violin is fake?

June 14, 2016 at 03:20 PM · So, Here it goes again.

So... I got a violin that has its wood aged 4-5 years.

I got an extra set of strings, 2 bows, 10 rosin boxes, and a case, and shoulder rest.

and, I spent no money on it.

Is it a chance that likely its a fake? Anyway, its given, not bought or trade, or something like that.

And, how do you know between a real violin and a VSO?

Replies (38)

June 14, 2016 at 03:47 AM · pls...

June 14, 2016 at 03:31 PM · Could you be a bit more specific?

What do you mean when saying fake? Who gave you this violin (and this stockpile of rosin), and how they presented the instrument?

Photos would help. Your opinion of how it plays would also help

Now if it's labeled according to a famous maker of the 17-18th century and the label is fake, that's another story, but this is not necessary bad for the instrument, if we consider it a tool and not a collectible item.

PS, Sometimes some people refer to mass produced violins as VSOs. Anything more or less could lead to misunderstandings.

June 14, 2016 at 04:07 PM · To paraphrase an old saying: if it LOOKS like a violin, and it SOUNDS like a violin, then it must BE a violin!

VSO is a derogatory term applied to an instrument that sounds bad.

June 14, 2016 at 05:05 PM · The proof is in the pudding...if it sounds like a violin, it is! Do you like the way it sounds? That is what matters! (10 cakes of rosin??? Someone must have worried about running out in 10 years ;-)))

June 14, 2016 at 05:37 PM · I would say, a violinist dot com dropout, cured from rosin OCD!

June 14, 2016 at 07:56 PM · Ten boxes of rosin? Did you get that at Costco or something? LOL

June 14, 2016 at 08:29 PM · "That is what matters! (10 cakes of rosin??? Someone must have worried about running out in 10 years) "

Ten cakes of rosin would last me 200 years. (But by that time I may have found out how to play the damned thing!)

June 14, 2016 at 08:38 PM · Only if you didn't drop any!

June 14, 2016 at 10:05 PM · You have to be careful. Sometimes they paint f-holes on a trombone and sell it as a violin!

June 14, 2016 at 10:37 PM · The best way to improve the tone on a trombone is to fold it before putting it away in a trumpet case. This works for violas too.

Cheers Carlo

June 15, 2016 at 03:54 AM · Ok, who do I reply to first?

June 15, 2016 at 03:55 AM · Ok, who do I reply to first?

June 15, 2016 at 10:56 AM · So... can't you ask your piano teacher who is also your violin teacher?

and, since he was a band leader and Yamaha store manager, wouldn't he like ... totally know? ;-)

June 15, 2016 at 02:36 PM · "The best way to improve the tone on a trombone is to fold it before putting it away in a trumpet case. This works for violas too."

I'd have to disagree. I think adding a cake of rosin each day would make it sound better.

June 15, 2016 at 02:46 PM · Welcome aboard Edlix!

Fell free to reply to anyone in no particular order.

You may have already noticed that we have a particular sense of humor here....

June 15, 2016 at 03:27 PM · There *have* been fake VSOs. The guy who stole the ex-Gibson Strad put black shoe polish on it to disguise its true identity.

June 15, 2016 at 03:28 PM · @Rebecca. I'm not sure feeding a trombone is a good idea. Have you seen, 'Little shop of Horrors'?

Cheers Carlo

June 16, 2016 at 02:34 AM · Everyone suddenly started talking about trombones" which is in the "Brass" section of the instrument world, isnt this a violin website? (Im laughing btw)

June 16, 2016 at 03:24 AM · Carlo, and Rebecca, you two are killing me!

June 16, 2016 at 04:21 AM · the violin is real. The rosin is fake. No-one gives a way that much. It may even be RSM which is potentially much more dangerous than VSO according to the WHO. Whatever it turns out to be , be wary of lining them up to close together as this can lead to a meltdown. (I know this because I saw it on an episode of Hawaii Five-0 thirty years ago)

Cheers,

Buri

(rosin shaped marshmallow)

BTW IS Steve McGarret still alive? He might be good at identifying fake violins or maybe just ukelele....

June 16, 2016 at 07:34 AM · @Buri, I didn't realise lining up rosins was dangerous. I have a drawer full of rosins of various ages, some even 30yo, is this a risk?

Cheers Carlo

June 16, 2016 at 07:48 AM · Putting rosin in your drawers is always risky.

June 16, 2016 at 11:21 AM · Especially if you haven't washed them in over a year ...

June 16, 2016 at 11:25 AM · You wash your rosin?

June 16, 2016 at 12:12 PM · I wash mine, it helps me get a clean sound when I'm playing.

June 16, 2016 at 06:37 PM · Thanks for the tip Rebecca, that's where I have been going wrong.

Cheers Carlo

June 16, 2016 at 09:54 PM · You're most welcome Carlo. Thanks for the laughs!

Edlix, did you get your question answered?

June 17, 2016 at 02:11 AM · Buri, regrettably Jack Lord died almost 20 years ago.

Book em Danno.

June 17, 2016 at 03:31 AM · I had bad feeling that was the case. Explains the increase in fake rosin crime syndicates.

June 17, 2016 at 06:56 AM · Here is an Image of the violin given to me and my sis.

http://uploadpie.com/jQrbD

Every single accesory is there, Even some extra pegs... And actually, I miscounted the rosin, It only has 8 cakes of them.

June 17, 2016 at 06:57 AM · Answer for the question of "How was it presented to you?"

A: The friend of my sis was giving it to me, she* was quitting the musical world, and gave the violin to us, I do not know why and I do not have any further information. But I do know she also gave a guitar and a ukulele to someone else.

June 17, 2016 at 06:57 AM · Yes, yes... you may think its meerely impossible for something like that to happen but, yep, it happened. Despite the prices of all those things. All of those rosin cakes could had cost hundreds of dollars, some $200+ for an extra bow and also, I forgot to display the extra bridge in the picture. That Easy Violin book right on the corner is somewhere near $100 and the extra set of strings (In the picture) is near $10 more or less.

June 17, 2016 at 07:06 AM · My new question, from curiousity arouses in my mind...

How do I preserve a violin like this which is likely in bad quality, (Or not, I do not know, Im not the violinist. The real vilinist is my Sis. But I do play violin and viola) for generations to pass? And what is the right way of doing so? I think of it as putting it in its case and in the cabinet (No, Not the violin in the picture. The newer violin that was bought less than a year ago.). Is it the right way?

June 17, 2016 at 07:07 AM · Don't get too excited! $5 for the Chinese strings, $1 each for those rosins, and the book maybe another fiver. It is an inexpensive violin so forget about its value. Find a teacher, get some lessons, and practise.

Cheers Carlo

June 17, 2016 at 07:12 AM · looks like a cheap Chinese VSO package that goes for about $200 for everything.

June 17, 2016 at 07:20 AM · Lyndon is spot on! It may be worth even less, even with the rosin. (What make is the rosin, by the way?)

June 17, 2016 at 07:26 AM · The strings btw, that chinese one... actually uhh... I was the one who bought It. I cant afford a dominant strings

The rest of the set came from my sis's friend, exept the strings. I think I should had just printed a copy of the case of the dominant strings before I took the picture. This is embarrassing.

It costed just about close to $10.

June 17, 2016 at 11:17 AM · sell it on e-bay as the `Jack Lord Stradivari Ukelele.` If the rosin is Baker`s you may be able to retire early.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe