Compare Coda Classic vs. GX?

June 10, 2016 at 10:54 PM · Hi! Since I recently got back into playing, I was curious about the new Coda GX and SX vs. my Coda Classic and Conservatory.

Has anyone comparatively played the GX vs. the Classic? What did you think?

(I did order a set on trial last week, and a comparatively priced pernambuco, but the pernambuco arrived with a shaft sticky with rosin gunk all up and down (like it was coated in dried maple syrup) and fingerprints embedded in the gunk. [and hair in very poor condition] Blech. When I called the company, I was told "What did you expect? These are trial bows!" and if I liked the pernambuco, I could pay for a cleaning after I bought it. I was so upset by this I sent them all back the same day)

Anyhow, the GX sounded only slightly better than my Classic, but, again, I only played it for a short bit.

I am hesitant to do the trial thing again after this experience from a supposed reputable dealer, but there is another company that does trials..... though I am not sure if it is worth it, hence if you have played both - is the new GX better?

I can't afford the Arcus - though I would like one! ;-)))) I also do not want to get into a debate of the relative merits of carbon fiber or demerits, either.

Replies (15)

June 11, 2016 at 01:24 AM · Wow. Which company was this? Useful for everyone to know.

Against my Coda Colours (basically the same bow as a Conservatory), I wasn't especially enamored of the newer Coda bow models. I ended up buying a Jon Paul Avanti instead, trading in my Colours to fund most of the purchase. The Avanti is excellent for the price.

June 11, 2016 at 01:32 AM · First, the Coda GX and SX are not really new. They've been around for a few years now. Anyway, I have an original Codabow, which when I bought it was the only model they made, and was later renamed the "classic" when they started adding to their line. Some years ago I trialed a GX, a Joule, and an Arcus M3. The Joule didn't suit me, and now I honestly can't remember why not. The GX was a better bow than my classic, but the difference was subtle and not worth the price to me. That's not to imply that it's not worth it in principle. Subtle improvements are how the game works. Of the three, I wound up buying the Arcus, which I'm sure you know is radically different than anything else. I've since upgraded twice, to an S5, and then an A6. I'm a confirmed Arcus user, and all that's left for me to long for in the bow world is a higher grade Arcus.

June 11, 2016 at 02:10 AM · I like the old Classic and the Colours. Don't really care for the new ones.

I sell lots of the JonPaul Vibrants/Matrix. They are, in my opinion, the best value in the price range, and even at double the price in comparison.

June 11, 2016 at 02:50 AM · "new" Yes, that is very true!!! (now I feel old!! hahahahahaha) I mean "newer", as compared to my Codas, as time flies and I think I bought my Classic in 2001 or so.

Thank you, Lydia, you assessment matched my very quick one, and Mark, I do agree on the difference being very subtle between the Classic and the GX, again it was a few hour trial and not a lengthy one. In my very non-expert view, I felt the GX was more evenly weighted, pulled out a slightly more complex tone, but one you would really have to hear side by side to notice a huge difference.

Thanks for the suggestion on the Avanti - I will look into those.

I think the company made an honest oversight, at least I hope so, and, at worst, figured as a "beginner" I wouldn't know any better. Out of respect, I prefer not to name them - I always feel issues should be dealt with personally, if possible. I have returned bows, and noted on the packing slip and via email the issues.

(Perhaps when I have reached a sufficiently advanced level I will treat myself to an Arcus - or at least by them I will have saved enough up!! ;-))

June 11, 2016 at 05:49 AM · I traded my coda NX for. Jonpaul Carrera and totally love it. I tested the coda joule (my teachers favorite) and the gx, but went ahead with the Carrera. It produces a beautiful clean sweet tone. The bow looks very understated which I like. It has fewer hairs than most (just 110) i dont know if that contributes to the beatitful tone I pull. My teacher says that if your budget for a bow is under $3000, you'll get more bang for your buck with carbon fiber..

June 11, 2016 at 05:49 AM ·

June 11, 2016 at 10:21 AM · I'm not a fan of the newer Codas, I always felt their original "classic" model played better.

The one you really ought to try is the JonPaul Avanti. Some of them are really fantastic sticks and play exceptionally well, despite their relatively low cost.

June 11, 2016 at 02:26 PM · Thanks for the suggestions on the Avantis! Yes, I will look into them! Thanks, all, for confirming what I thought about the GX - only slightly better in sound, if that. I had only played it for a bit, and am not an expert. It is also good to know about other options that might be better, making a new bow purchase worthwhile - as back when it was Glasser, Coda, or Arcus, pretty much.

I have to send my Classic in for a rehair (hence the thought about new bow, as my Conservatory needs one too), but when it gets back I'll think about trying the Avantis. (though I do really like the Classic, thought right now I am playing the Conservatory to get back in the swing of things)

Update - I like what I read about the Avantis - I think I am going to order one! Thanks for the "heads up!"

June 17, 2016 at 02:07 PM · Update two!!! I did order an Avanti, obviously from a different retailer than the one who sent me the sticky bow. I have a funny, I just have to share. (At least with my peculiar sense of humor I find it very funny)

I had shared with the Avanti retailer the sticky icky bow story, not naming names, of course, and stating my desire to have a relatively newer bow, a request they did honor. Funny part - they wiped off 90% of the rosin - perhaps thinking I would see it as new? Hahahahahaha, that is just too funny!!!!!

The Avanti , or did until I cleaned it, a bit of tarnish on the nut and ferrule, some slight finger grease on frog, a dust of rosin on shaft, and bow hair not new, but in good condition, so I'm happy, though laughing to myself.

For those who are interested, I have sent my Classic off to be rehaired last week, so could not directly compare, but the Avant feels "more natural" and lighter than the Conservatory, and the sound is more round and clear. It also has much better balance that the Conservatory, which I find hard to describe.

By the way, does anyone know how one would clean a shaft full of melted rosin glue, not that I would ever let my bows get that way, but I am curious?

June 17, 2016 at 05:36 PM · When the bow is rehaired, the luthier will often polish the stick. Leave it to the professionals. To avoid buildup, of course, wipe the wood with a cloth after each practice.

June 17, 2016 at 05:57 PM · Actually, I sent back all the trial bows, after having received one in so poor a condition with the sticky shaft - still am curious how would a luthier clean it? I did not mean to imply I would have - though the store seemed to think I should. I know my limitations!

I have to apologize for my incessant curiosity - how would one clean it?

June 17, 2016 at 07:07 PM · "How would one clean it?" - That question gets asked over and over about violins as well. ;)

...and the answer is the same: If you can't clean it with a clean dry cloth, you should get a luthier to do it.

There are many cleaner products out there, but some that work on certain varnishes will completely dissolve/strip others!

It doesn't say much about a shop though, to send you dirty bows!

June 17, 2016 at 07:17 PM · With carbon fiber bows it's generally safe to clean with isopropynol (rubbing alchohol) on a rag, though it wouldn't hurt to do a little touch test before proceeding.

June 17, 2016 at 10:43 PM · Actually, the dirty one was pernambuco - I had chose it in the comparable price range of the GX to try out. Hence the question of cleaning - it was so sticky all up and down - and you could see fingerprints of previous players! Analogous to being dipped in maple syrup and dried - if that gives you an idea.

Astronomers clean mirrors with a solution of a drop of Dawn per gallon of water - (you do not touch mirror, ever, of course, just pour water mixture over it) - though I would be hesitant to use the mixture on a bow shaft! But that might dissolve the rosin residue goop?

Again, I don't need to clean the pernambuco bow - it was sent back - with great irritation - a week ago. I still think it is VERY funny the other store wiped the rosin off the hair of my new Avanti before sending it to me! (I cleaned the silver tarnish off the new Avanti today and buffed it up - looks new now, and now you can see the graphic on the tip)

June 17, 2016 at 10:43 PM ·

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe