Seeking violin(s) with WOLF TONE

June 7, 2016 at 08:50 PM · I am seeking one or more violins with obvious wolf tones to complete some research. It's a chance to get rid of a problem violin. Anyone?

Replies (24)

June 7, 2016 at 09:23 PM · You need to keep the violin, or can the player visit?

Also, where are you located?

June 7, 2016 at 10:13 PM · I've only ever had problems with wolf tones on finer instruments.

June 7, 2016 at 11:12 PM · LOL maybe that's what he's looking for, for free no less.

June 7, 2016 at 11:55 PM · Really? Maybe you just never up the G string on the cheaper instruments. :)

PS: You can also get a lot of new wolves if the violin doesn't like the strings on it.

Mine now has a total of 8! (G to C sharp Sul G, and F and G natural, Sul E) because of this.

The wolves also affect the D and A strings, so all of 3rd pos on the D and all of 6th pos A and 10th pos E are wolfy and muffled. It's so bad that even my open A is a wolf, because of the wolfy A up on the G.

Truly a joy to play...

June 8, 2016 at 12:34 AM · EVERY violin, viola and cello has a wolf note. It may be on a quarter tone so that it only shows up when you practice your ragas, but it is there somewhere. The better the instrument, it seems, the worse the wolf.

A player I know has had the burden of owning 2 Strads. His opinion: If you've got the bucks, choose the Strad and learn to deal with the wolf.

June 8, 2016 at 01:20 AM · I agree that a certain strings may not be appropriate for your violin and cause a wolf. Wolf tones can also be caused by certain chinrests (type, position, quality, fit). If you think you have a wolf tone or note that sounds tight and choked, start by removing the chinrest and play the note again.

June 8, 2016 at 02:31 AM · Heh... I wish it was just the chinrest!

Removing it helps, but I still end up with wolves (though diminished) all over my instrument (see my first post). :(

June 8, 2016 at 12:57 PM · My understanding of "wolf tones" is well described by this Wikipedia entry ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_tone ) that matches my experience with 3 of the 4 cellos I have owned. Fuzzy sounds in a wide range or reluctant upper G strings are something else - I've had these too; they are very common on cello C strings and often found on violin upper G strings and can be totally controlled (on some) by using different strings.

For cello wolf tones and for tone modification on cellos and violas I have found the "KRENTZ wolf eliminator and tone modulator" to be the one thing to absolutely work after a 50 year search for cures. (My violin KRENTZ is in the mail on the way to me and I hope to have favorable words to say about it. I never had any violin wolves that I could detect but I'm interested to see how this device affects tone - I've got 4 fiddles to try it on.)

EDIT: Aug. 1, 2016. I have now had two violin KRENTZs operating on 2 violins for a month. They have really help the tone quality where needed. On my 2 best violins the devices actually inhibited the tone.

Andy

June 8, 2016 at 01:49 PM · Really?

You have to have at least a slight wolf somewhere on the G, bit it might be on a quarter tone (lucky you)! :)

June 8, 2016 at 02:11 PM · Andrew's advice about changing the G string is to be taken seriously. My old violin (18th c "anonymous", for the record) has a traditional wolf or two in the usual places just over halfway up the G. The one string that deals with it most effectively is the Pirastro wire-wound gut Chorda. It is more effective than the Eudoxa G, which in turn is well in front of everything else. The Eudoxa G is flat-wound on gut - I wonder if that is why it's not as effective a wolf-killer as the Chorda; perhaps there's extra layer or so in the Eudoxa between the core and the winding.

No wolf problems with my Jay Haide.

Thought for the day: did the good 18c violins in their original design and set-up (probably not many of those in use today) suffer from wolves. If they didn't, then there may be the basis for an argument that modern design and set-up has had a retrograde effect. Related question: do good modern baroque replicas suffer from wolves?

June 8, 2016 at 03:45 PM · I tried one, but only in the baroque ranges (only up high sul E and A), and the highest register E was so gorgeous!

Sweet with no hiss or discernable bow noise, and oh so clear as well! :D

June 10, 2016 at 01:36 AM ·

Thank you all for your comments. No, I'm not looking for a "freebie" but inexpensive would be better. This would become an experimental violin. The tone and appearance is completely unimportant in any playable condition from anywhere, old or new. It only needs to have a wolf tone, the worse the better. I am in Lynchburg, VA. I would be willing to visit.

June 10, 2016 at 05:56 AM · Well, mine has many wolves, but I'm in Toronto.

If only you hadn't moved to the US... :D

June 10, 2016 at 03:14 PM · Hello A.O. That may not be a problem. I expect come to Toronto late summer/early autumn. Please tell me about your violin.

June 10, 2016 at 03:32 PM · Duane,

Not every good violin has a wolf tone.

I tested one Guadagnini 5 years ago and there were no four legged carnivores in sight!

We should have a list of "violinist's myths" on this web site.

Rocky

June 10, 2016 at 11:17 PM · Did you check the quarter tones too, my fellow Canuck?

We should call 'em moose tones or goose or something, eh? :D

June 12, 2016 at 04:50 PM · Yes, A.O. I checked quarter tones and everything else in between. I understand an am able to create (and remove) a very muddy, unresponsive range in B2-C#2 on the G string but not create the stuttering sound that has been described on YouTube, for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi_6r0kk2nE

I agree with Rocky Milankov. From my experience, not all good violins have wolf tones.

June 13, 2016 at 08:44 PM · I was actually addressing Rocky, but okay.

I still find it hard to believe that an amazing, top-tier instrument has no wolf, though.

A piece of wood has to have a strong fundamental, or it wouldn't work as a violin!... ???????

@Ted: My violin is a cheapie rental at the moment, so any tests would be fine, as long as they do not damage anything that cannot be put back in place afterwards, such as cutting off pieces or regraduating the top. :)

PS: Your contact button isn't working, and brings up a blank page.

June 17, 2016 at 04:26 PM · Bump so that Ted hopefully sees this. :)

July 31, 2016 at 05:58 AM · My wolf note I would describe more as a wolf puppy. It's not a very obvious one, I really have to work to sustain the wolf for more than a split second.

July 31, 2016 at 09:30 AM · There are violins without a wolf note. My Bros Amati has no wolf anywhere. However my Capicchioni has a c c# howler up the 8ve Sul G.

Cheers Carlo

July 31, 2016 at 01:23 PM · Carlo did you get your Capicchioni at Starbucks? :)

July 31, 2016 at 03:15 PM · What specific features you are interested in and planning to examine? By the way, many wolf notes originate merely in improper setup, i.e. bridge concept and soundpost faults.

August 1, 2016 at 02:22 AM · @Paul. Not the whole violin... just the c and c#. The rest came from a more traditional source.

Cheers Carlo

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe