My violin. I want it now!

April 2, 2016 at 06:59 PM · Amazon lists a Cremona SV 800 with a shipping date of 2 to 6 months.

Are they waiting for some wood to cure :)

This seems ridiculous!

What possible reason?

Replies (17)

April 2, 2016 at 07:47 PM · What did the vendor have to say when you asked them?

April 2, 2016 at 11:15 PM · I have not attempted to contact anyone on Amazon because I have a different order pending with a local shop. I quoted the Amazon case to illustrate my point.

There is a real situation going on. My local order is now 5 weeks old and the supplier has no comforting report (?)

In addition, (believe me) most of the "flagship" intermediate violins on the web are having some kind of supply trouble.

I never expected I would be unable to give away $1500 :)

April 3, 2016 at 06:02 AM · $1500? From Amazon?

I'd suggest taking your business to Fiddlershop.com for that kind of money they can set you up with a nice fiddle.

April 3, 2016 at 10:53 AM · I had a trial violin which was great so I'm not really shopping. That vendor however would not sell the trial violin (Huh?)

I did however decide on brand and model.

Fiddlershop is not ruled out.

April 3, 2016 at 01:50 PM · At my store, the best sound quality is cheaper, and delivery time is the time it takes you to pull out your wallet and pay me!!

April 3, 2016 at 02:45 PM · Wish I was closer.

What do you have for sale?

April 3, 2016 at 02:49 PM · Mostly student to intermediate grade violins, in the $700-$5,000 range, my website is linked if you click on my name.

April 4, 2016 at 12:41 AM · You're buying a violin on Amazon, and it's not going swimmingly. And you're surprised?

My experience with long shipping dates on Amazon items is that the reason for the low cost is surface shipping from China. They are waiting until they get enough orders to fill a container.

If you want service, you go to a store where there is a salesperson who can help you. It's the same with violins as it is for fine clothing or shoes.

April 4, 2016 at 03:44 AM · No, she didn't order from Amazon. Her original post was completely misleading. Check out her second post.

April 4, 2016 at 06:52 AM · and it's always been like that! :)

April 4, 2016 at 12:06 PM · Careful here!

I have heard reports that my Grandfather did some kind of gigs in Budapest. He died there and I don't know about the violin. Wish I had it.

Meanwhile ...............

April 4, 2016 at 02:26 PM · What happens in Budapest stays in Budapest, I guess. I would like to go there someday. I have never been to eastern Europe unless you count the part of Berlin formerly known as East Berlin. I would like to go to Budapest and Prague and Warsaw and Zakopane. (Zakopane because that is where my violin was made, and I love it so much, I want to see the shop where it was made.)

April 4, 2016 at 02:54 PM · I have to imagine that a visit to Budapest would have a major influence on my perspective and playing but I'm also sad that there was so much political and military conflict which my family escaped.

However, this is just talk without any new violin!

April 4, 2016 at 04:37 PM · Buy a viola.

they always have alot of them just sitting around the warehouse gathering dust....

April 4, 2016 at 08:07 PM · Good!

A trip to Hungary is probably faster than the Chinese merchant fleet.

Gee, I just remember something from way back. An actual popular song:

"I'd love to get you on a

slow boat to China .........

Da,dada,dah,dah da........

Sound familiar?

April 8, 2016 at 01:39 PM · My violin arrived on April 7. Ordered on March 4.

I do not think that this was the dealers fault ( but "in stock" would have been better ! )

I wonder if the trend is minimize (USA) inventories?

Now it's one week for set up but this shop knows what they are doing.

Hooray!

April 8, 2016 at 01:45 PM · I'm glad it finally arrived. Looking forward to seeing how you like it after the set-up.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe