What piece do you want to learn the most?

March 13, 2016 at 05:53 AM · Mine is Paganini concerto no. 1, by far. What are yours?

Replies (29)

March 13, 2016 at 06:17 AM · Bazzini's Round of the Goblins. I'm not sure so much that I want to learn it, as I want to have learned it, if you get the distinction. :-)

I'd wanted to do Paganini No. 1 right up until the point that I actually started learning it. (Stopped after two weeks because my teacher decided that it was beyond her ability to teach.) My current teacher wants to do this as our next concerto, though, but at this point it's something I'm interested in learning but not seriously jonesing to learn. Still, looking forward to tackling it shortly.

March 13, 2016 at 06:40 AM · Mendelssohn E Minor Violin Concerto or the Tchaikovsky Concerto.

March 13, 2016 at 09:46 AM · If I were to take a year off I would love to learn all 24 of Paganini's Caprices AND his concerts #1 and #2.

A bit more realistic though, Halvorsen's Passacaglia is on my to-do list for... eventually! :)

March 13, 2016 at 01:10 PM · The Bazzini piece (Round of the Goblins) is a permanent fixture on my bucket list.

March 13, 2016 at 02:52 PM · Now, don't laugh, cause I know I may never touch either, but bazzini dance of the goblins and yankee doodle by henry vieuxtemps.

March 13, 2016 at 03:44 PM · If I ever could find the time, maybe the Berg Concerto for a major body of work. Showpiece-wise, I'd say Waxmans Carmen Fantasy. Maybe with a quieter summer I'll finally get around to getting the two under my belt once and for all.

March 13, 2016 at 03:47 PM · Paganini, Sarasate, and such ... these do not interest me. I would dearly love to be able to play the sonata repertoire -- Brahms, Mozart, Debussy, and Franck come immediately to mind. I have performed the first movement of Mozart K304 (E Minor), the third movement of the Franck, and the first movement of the Beethoven Spring Sonata, as well as a couple of selections from Handel. I would like to perform some Handel with an organist. I heard this on Hiro Kurosaki's album and I loved it. Kurosaki plays Handel beautifully.

But my answer to "what piece do you want to learn the most" will always be the same: Whatever piece I am working on at the time. And right now that means Mozart 5 on the violin and the Bach G Major Gamba Sonata on the viola.

March 13, 2016 at 04:28 PM · This piece:

March 14, 2016 at 04:47 AM · I don't keep a bucket list but I would love to finally play the Chaconne the way I hear it in my head. *sigh* The good news is each time I revisit it I'm a little closer than before

March 14, 2016 at 05:40 AM · That is tough. I often wish I could play some pieces on every instrument. The closest one gets to that is conducting, but I imagine it wouldn't be the same.

March 14, 2016 at 07:19 PM · Szymanowski concerti and mythes

Faure chamber music

Poulenc sonata

March 14, 2016 at 09:34 PM · Its not necessarily a violin piece per say, but I have always wanted to play Dvorák's New World Symphony. In an orchestra of course.

March 16, 2016 at 07:44 PM · The aforementioned Bazzini, Prokofiev 2, Brahms. Realistically, I doubt I'll ever be able to touch any of them. My teacher laughed at me when I suggested he play bazzini for me. Usually I'm the one laughing at him when he suggests a work.

March 16, 2016 at 08:53 PM · Tchaikovsky Concerto in D Major by far (for violin at least). I'll probably never be able to, but I might try just by myself for fun...

And on viola I really want to play the Walton Concerto.

March 16, 2016 at 10:27 PM · Wieniawski Scherzo Tarantelle. Is this actually considered a difficult piece by professionals? For an amateur like me it is definitely a challenge. I have not yet progressed beyond the Sevcik exercises that prepare you for the first two measures :-)

March 16, 2016 at 10:39 PM · I'm working on the Scherzo-Tarantelle now. It's difficult in terms of the fact there are very few measures that are actually easy, but none of the individual challenges require more than time and patience to solve, so the overall difficulty level is moderate.

March 17, 2016 at 01:25 AM · I'm learning the Wieniawski Scherzo-Tarantelle too. It's definitely not an easy piece.

March 18, 2016 at 11:07 PM · I'm a beginner, but I want to learn 'Por Una Cabeza' by Carlos Gardel first and foremost then 'Carmen - Habanera' and lastly the 'Theme of Schindler's List'. Oh! and 'Air on the G string' by Bach. Those are some of my favorites so far.

March 20, 2016 at 04:47 AM · The Sibelius concerto, the Dvorak concerto, the Tchaikovsky concerto, the Bach Chaconne, and Ernst's grand caprice on Schubert's Erlkonig. That last one is kind of my dream piece; I don't know when I'll ever be able to learn it, but some day, I'll find a way. It's just too dark and gorgeous to pass up, despite the number of inhuman techniques necessary.

March 20, 2016 at 10:41 AM · Steven, thanks for sharing that video of Midori -- really amazing what human beings are capable of.

March 21, 2016 at 08:29 PM · Vivaldi - Spring

though it's easy but It's new for me so it's a bit difficult for now!

March 21, 2016 at 11:12 PM · Bach - Brandenburg Contarito #3

I had the first movement memorized for years, but as time goes on one tends to forget such treasures and it makes me sad. So I'd like to learn it again for laughs.

March 21, 2016 at 11:20 PM · Schindler's list!! I want to play it soooo bad!

March 22, 2016 at 01:18 AM · My teacher said I can play this after my current piece: Beethoven Romance In F Major.

Such a beautiful piece. :)

Can't wait!

March 22, 2016 at 04:36 AM · Sibelius or Tchaikovsky violin concerto!

March 29, 2016 at 11:52 AM · H. I. Biber, violin sonatas and Rosary Sonatas. Most of all the 'Passacaglia'.

March 29, 2016 at 03:53 PM · The prelude to the 5th Cello Suite. But that will not happen in my lifetime.

More realistically: any viola concerto beyond the level of Telemann's G major. And as Lydia said upthread: not so much want to learn, but to have learned. Or, in my case, to have been able to learn.

March 29, 2016 at 07:35 PM · At the moment Minor Swing, as is played by Stepháne Grapelli with Django Reinhardt.

March 29, 2016 at 11:15 PM · Bach, the Chaconne. Because once I can play that, I can play the rest of Bach's work too.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe