App for ear training / sight readin?

March 12, 2016 at 02:53 PM · Hey!

So, I've been finding myself thinking non-stop about the violin during my off time at school/work/outside and I wanted to put that time to good use. I'm gonna search the apple app store for an app to train the ear and sight read but, I wanted to see if there were any particular apps that were popular in the forum.

Replies (20)

March 12, 2016 at 03:50 PM · Hmm, found two pretty neat apps, this thread can be ignored. Is there a way to delete it?

March 12, 2016 at 10:41 PM · Nope, but perhaps you could be so kind as to share the apps with us :)

March 12, 2016 at 11:03 PM · I got Tenuto and Theory lessons, both from musictheory.net

Might be able to only need Tenuto but, Theory lessons seems more in depth.

March 13, 2016 at 11:34 PM · My orchestra teacher made an iphone app called rhythm taps. It might not be what you're looking for but its certainly a great resource for learning your rhythms, which is a big part of sight reading. Benchan has his own application to help musicians called InstruNote. Its definitely worth checking out imo.

March 14, 2016 at 02:13 AM · For rhythm, I find ReadRhythm to be a useful app.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rhythm-sight-reading-trainer/id396302174?mt=8

March 14, 2016 at 09:42 AM · I have wished for a great app (I only have android) for Violin that works like Guitar Hero video game for our real Violin. It is not difficult to create technically but i am surprised no one has created anything like that yet; at least in my reach and knowledge under freeware category. Here is one app that i can see on youtube made in C# language but unfortunately its not available anywhere to download https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSOHIlcMZfw

April 23, 2016 at 01:21 PM · hello anyone?

April 23, 2016 at 09:11 PM · I'm not aware of any Guitar Hero style games for violin but Perfect Ear 2 is a great Android app for ear training, interval singing and Rhythm reading etc.

April 24, 2016 at 05:57 PM · I opt for sound before sight: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/jump-right-in-instrumental/id1053122762?mt=8

April 28, 2016 at 12:58 PM · i need something like this but better quality.

https://apkpure.com/sight-read-music-2-0/sight.read?hl=en

this doesnt hear sound easily and doesnt have violin; its a poor interface.

April 29, 2016 at 03:53 AM · Hi Michael,

I explored a lot of Android apps when I started violin but rarely use them now.

The app Perfect Ear 2 (linked) in my previous post has a Note singing trainer section which works OK with a violin if you can maintain the correct pitch for 2 seconds. (If that's the kind of thing you are looking for).

Another app which might be of interest to you is ScaleHelper which records you playing scales, arpeggios, etc. and scores you on your intonation and evenness of execution.

Good luck :-)

May 4, 2016 at 10:27 AM · Robert, no i don't need ear training. But more of Etude Training kind of apps such as "Violin Practice" it has some free Kayser etudes to play along. I cant practice playing etudes since it takes huge patience as the task is very uninteresting; (this is why i had to directly play and practice pieces that i loved such as partita 2 gigue, in order to practice sight reading and technique but we all know it doesnt help much). this is why i need something like guitar hero which makes sight reading practice as interesting in a game. Like this exclusive program which is not available to download for public https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSOHIlcMZfw

If i manage to sight read easily without any stress on brain then i might be able to directly practice/play from etudes; but now it's too hectic for me.

May 4, 2016 at 10:45 PM · Michael, it's interesting you mention "Violin Practice" as Practice Player Live Midi is by the same developer (SK Lee) and became my favourite and most used app. At my request SK Lee added the capacity to display Up Bow and Down Bow markings from a music.xml score. (Easy to add yourself using MuseScore if your xml file doesn't include them).

I guess I used PPLM in a similar way to the how you describe Guitar Hero and the program you linked but PPLM doesn't display the notes on the fingerboard. I can't understand the need to display the fingerboard as most beginners start in the first position and once you've learnt a 2 octave G scale all the other first position notes are conveniently nearby ;-).

FWIW here's a link to an old discussion of Mobile Apps for Practising where I have a post describing some ways I was using PPLM.

Cheers,

Robert

May 5, 2016 at 10:08 AM · Robert,

I dont need fingerboard display, i just need the game like interface to reduce my mental resistance to practice sight reading. If there is a video game like interface as shown in the video then we can develop sight reading skills easily; which has been proving very annoying and hard for me; And only then i will be able to practice violin etudes fluently without stressing my brain.

I have musescore which can work well for practicing by play along but i find that too to be difficult to carry on for some reason. I have requested musescore developers to make some features to generate etudes which can be easily built by them if they add some features that we can design etudes by our choice easily automatically without typing each note but they dont see its value.

this PPLM seems good but it only takes midi input which we cant use for violin, can we? it can only work in usb mic?

May 5, 2016 at 10:50 AM · Hi Michael, while there's a PPLM version which supports a USB keyboard what I was referring to were midi and musicxml files (which can also be exported from MuseScore if you choose to input your own).

For example Practice Player Live Midi - plays musicXml score - Haydn String quartet Op.74 no.1 3rd.mov.

There are etudes on the net you can download and use or ... you could use any violin midi/musicxml part, or piece, and loop sections for use as etudes. It's possible to change keys and/or tempo within the app too giving lots of practice options.

I can't really tell you much more than PPLM was of great use to me and probably will be again at some stage.

BTW there's a demo version you can try. Perhaps you will find your own unique way of interacting/using it to help you practice??

If I stumble across any app that has more of a game like interface I'll send you a message.

All the best :-)

Robert

May 5, 2016 at 02:05 PM · i see, but i can use all those things on Musescore as well in the PC. I have many etudes downloaded for violin.

May 6, 2016 at 10:12 PM · But $40 and a PC is the best. AUDIATION ASSISTANT software!

May 7, 2016 at 03:52 AM · Michael James writes: "i see, but i can use all those things on Musescore as well in the PC. I have many etudes downloaded for violin."

Absolutely MusicXML is designed to share sheet music between applications and on different operating systems.

MuseScore is a composing program which can read, write, export and play musicxml files. Whereas PPLM functions as a musicxml player - that is it's focus is on performance. Speeding up or slowing down, looping, changing keys, changing instruments, muting or boosting parts etc.

You're not restricted to MuseScore or PPML either. The MusicXML site, linked above, has a large list of PC software and Android apps which support this format.

You mention having downloaded many etudes for violin. What format are they in? PDF?

May 8, 2016 at 12:00 PM · they are musicxml, got it from forum of musescore and elsewhere. But playing on musescore too turns out to be difficult for me this is why i need an app or software which acts like a guitarHero type game. I guess it is easy to make and people who can develop such an app can make money as well.

May 8, 2016 at 01:07 PM · No doubt someone will come up with something in the GuitarHero style at some stage.

Perhaps until that day happens you will discover many ways to make your violin playing/practice more game-like and enjoyable. :-)

Cheers,

Robert

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe