Violin-/->Firewood, I mean Viola

March 10, 2016 at 07:23 PM · Hello,

I have been playing violins for over 3 years now. I am at Suzuki vol 4, whilst learning other individual pieces out of interest.

Due to my greed, I ended up getting a $2800 violin(it's a big sum for a full time student in a non-music degree). I believe that it will be a violin that I will hold onto at least for the rest of my life.

Now, the problem is that this is too precious, I have trouble carrying it anywhere other than in my hands indoors to play it. For that reason, this winter, I barely got any practice done. Nearing the end of the winter, I found a cheap 16" viola in local ad and bought it last night. I had the most fun for the year yet playing/cleaning it.

Here's what I've noticed:

1. I need to stretch my fingers to get the right notes. This is helping me to gain better flexibility in my left hand.

2. It gives me a heck of a hard time staying in tune, because the spacings are all different, it's making me to do a tremendous amount of shifts and ear training.

3. I'm ATTACKING the viola with my heaviest violin bow. This is giving me heck a lot of confidence in bowing my violin. It also came with a viola bow, but I like using my Yitamusic heavy snakewood violin bow.

4. It's no violin, it's a different animal. Responsiveness is much slower than my Socia(violin).

5. The harmonics seem extremely easier.

6. C string is addictive to play with.

For some reason, while I bought this viola for $180, it sounds and feel like something worth a lot more. Other than A string not being tamed(I shall see my luthier about moving the soundpost), and I'm having a lot of fun.

The viola overall seems to give me a LOT of practice in playing my violin, after I played the viola for 30 minutes, I got back to my violin, and shifts, vibrato were extremely easy, and somehow intonation was excellent(because I'm adjusting back to the violin spacing). Also, the tone quality was GREAT because I was bowing a lot more confidently.

I will likely give the viola a name, and a new soundpost, and a case slowly over the year, because I'm apparently not doing a good job saving up for a new violin bow.

I should also mention that I have had 2 surgeries in my left shoulder, so, violin is already a stretch to play the violin. Viola, I have to support my left elbow on my knee while playing. I did this when I first started playing violins, eventually I can play standing up. Hopefully my range of motion improves with viola.

Do others also use the viola as a "training aid" or "secondary violin"?

Replies (97)

March 10, 2016 at 09:28 PM · About 8 months ago I bought a student 15" Viola listed on craigslist while on vacation at a very good price. I couldn't resist the opportunity so I bought it and brought it home with me on the plane.

I really love the viola sound. Although I took the time to learn alto clef, I don't keep up with it anymore. I just play the treble clef finger patterns on the Viola. I find it makes me really listen to what I'm playing because I can ignore the notes and just play the pattern.

I'm not sure if its good or bad, but I have fun doing it!

March 10, 2016 at 09:56 PM · That's the MOST important thing for us hobby-players! Having fun!

March 10, 2016 at 10:31 PM · Beware of injuring yourself. 2 surgeries are more than 2 good reasons to approach viola playing with heightened awareness of ergonomic challenges. Find a decent viola bow. Have fun.

March 10, 2016 at 11:10 PM · With a strained left shoulder, Rocky, you're right. I'm essentially playing the viola in the position that I first re-started playing my violin 2 months after my 2nd surgery.

I have my left elbow supported by my left knee and the viola is almost completely in front of me.

Quick question, I've already contacted my luthier, but is it "normal" for less expensive Viola to have a very strong C and weak A? I am asking my luthier to take a look and possibly adjust the soundpost.

Also, I think the snakewood bow is doing just fine at least for now. It doesn't seem to have enough grip on C, but I'm first going to try stickier rosin.

March 10, 2016 at 11:14 PM · Some conservatories and university music departments require a year of a course called " viola for violinists ". Kim Kaskashian and Pinchas Zukerman recommend violinists supplement their studies with viola. I think there is something about playing viola which is beneficial to violinists. I think the benefits lie in the fact that there are less things that one can " get away with " technically speaking than on violin, such as using little bow hair, relying on the index finger for sound in the right hand, less curved fingers in the left hand, etc.

March 11, 2016 at 02:08 AM · A fine professional violinist that I know said that he practiced viola regularly while studying violin at conservatory, and he feels that it really helped him.

As Lieschen said, I agree that short cuts reveal themselves somewhat more quickly on the viola. Small errors in setup, posture, sound point, etc., are more quickly punished.

I find that Bernardel violin rosin is fine for the viola. I have a Cadenza "three star" carbon fiber viola bow that I like a lot, it cost around $450. You do want a viola bow, the viola needs the additional weight.

Your weak "A" string could be an adjustment issue and you should have a luthier try with your soundpost. But one tendency that I notice in myself is that I want my uppermost string to really stand out the way it does on the violin. But this will not happen on the viola because the uppermost string is wound like all the others, it is not just a wire. Both my D and A strings sound like they should produce more sound (and clearer sound, the D string is the tiniest bit sandy sounding) based on what my G and C strings do. But my teacher said this is not uncommon in very new instruments (it's a 2015) and that as it ages the upper register will "open up." And then there is the possibility that other strings may be better. I am playing on the Dominants that came on the instrument from the seller.

March 11, 2016 at 02:30 AM · If you are at Suzuki Book 4 then you *might* consider starting some of the less difficult movements from the Bach Cello Suites. In fact some of them might be in the Suzuki viola books already, there are even a few in the violin books (transcribed). The D Minor Prelude is wonderful.

March 11, 2016 at 02:53 AM · The first few Suzuki viola books have essentially the same "songs" as the violin books - just in a different key (one less sharp so the fingering and bowing are the same) so you should be able to advance on viola to the same level as your violin playing - pretty much by tomorrow - and learn to read the alto clef at the same time.

As you move up in positions on a violin (14") your left-hand fingers get closer together. Just so, as you move down from 3rd position to 1st on a 16" viola your left-hand fingers move from (what is essentially) violin spacing to a little wider spacing. With practice our hands (nerves) seem to learn to relate finger spacing for proper intonation to the length of arm extension (or perhaps it is to elbow angle).

Andy

March 11, 2016 at 04:01 AM · I'm basically currently trying to play all pieces that I know one fifth low. Even one octave low, just to take advantage of the C string. I just LOVE the double stops with C and G. I hope to try some typical Cello pieces eventually, just at a higher pitch.

The viola is 1950~70 Western German violin. You might find it cool that the bridge is branded by Peter J. Mach, the guy who invented Mach one shoulder rest. It came with Dominant strings. They feel a little old, but I doubt I'll be replacing them anytime soon.

Andy, what I'm finding is that the finger spacing on my violin in 1st position is identical to the 3rd position on my 16" viola. It's the 1st and 2nd position on viola that's causing problems right now. Again, it's a good thing because It's giving me a lot of practice. I'm making mental notes that the 3rd position is "violin 1st and up" position. I'm very well in tune once I make the accurate shift from 1st to 3rd, the shift itself is often off.

Paul, my snakewood violin bow is 69.8grams. I think it is heavy enough. The snakewood violin bow I found is to be too heavy and causes the "whiney" sound off of my violin. It seems to suit the viola well.

March 11, 2016 at 04:35 AM · 70 g is in the right range, yes.

March 11, 2016 at 04:36 AM · My initial reason for trying viola was to improve my violin playing. But then I got hooked. My viola and violin cost exactly the same but my viola is a better instrument. And after all the growling my viola does, I find my violin lacking in character. So much for improving my violin playing...

March 11, 2016 at 06:04 AM · I should also mention, Yuck! I've got my first Viola Hickey/Acne.

March 11, 2016 at 09:56 AM · You have started down the slippery slope.

"Just trying" the viola is like "just trying" heroin. Ditching the screaming E and getting the luscious C in exchange is a change in worldview that is not easily undone. Especially seeing as you are still in your formative years on the violin.

I got a viola "just for fun" at the beginning of Suzuki 2. After about 6 months of kidding myself, I realized that I had become the off scouring of the world---I was a violist.

I still would play my violin when I needed to take an instrument with me when traveling on business. But a couple months ago I purchased a 15.5" viola that I was able to fit in my violin case (with some mods to the case).

Personally, I think the G string on the viola is my fave. When you get the ringing tones playing C on the G.....it's just fabulous.

Violas aren't standardized in any way. You can have a 16" that had a shorter vibrating string length than a 15.5" (may make fingering easier). You can get a 15.5" that may have a bigger sound than a 16"....

Time for you to start learning alto clef, my friend, Im afraid you've got the fever...

March 11, 2016 at 11:01 AM · I think I may be a closet violist as well. I'll probably come out after completing Suzuki Book 4

March 11, 2016 at 12:01 PM · No, I'm not coming out of the viola closet. It's fun experimenting but my heart is set on my violin.

March 11, 2016 at 02:31 PM · Steven J. ...denial. Acceptance is the first step ;p

March 11, 2016 at 02:43 PM · Playing the viola is addictive, even though I mostly play the violin.

March 11, 2016 at 05:00 PM · Now, now. Not everyone succumbs to the viola. From the responses to my post "Newish violists: have you jilted your violin?" I concluded that violinists with a lot invested in the violin (such as a professional violin career or violin that's better than their viola) are not likely to make the viola their main instrument. Obvious in hindsight, but some of us have our minds clouded by that C string.

March 11, 2016 at 06:50 PM · Well,

With the violin, she sings, to my soul. Plus, Socia is an excellent, high valued instrument. Very well balanced a this point. It complements me.

With the viola, I really like how much it rings, but quite unbalanced at least for now, powerful C with weak A. It feels like I'm out of my comfort zone exploring.

For a fair comparison, say I got similar valued Viola, I may consider, but this is an unfair comparison. I did get to touch my luthier's 16+" viola, one that she made, but I couldn't reach for the C string, physically without putting myself in physical pain. My shoulder also limits me to a violin. I with to some day explore the cello.

March 11, 2016 at 08:26 PM · As for your viola hickey, I have a joking name for it. I call it "The Mark of the Covenant."

March 11, 2016 at 10:14 PM · "Sign of the beast"

March 11, 2016 at 11:04 PM · I played Socia earlier today. I am still for Violin.

March 12, 2016 at 12:57 AM · Here they are by the way:

photo IMG_0174_zpssfzwr6gg.jpg

March 12, 2016 at 02:23 AM · They look awesome!

Can I still call myself a musician even though I have never as much as touched a viola? Everybody seems to have experience with them to some degree. I feel so inadequate. ;)

March 12, 2016 at 02:29 AM · Perhaps we can trade at some point? Once I've gotten my fix of Viola for the next little while? Using Seraphim's notion, hey Fox, would you like to take a hit of this viola?

I was hunting for an inexpensive violin with real ebony fittings when I found the viola. I learned the hard way that I am allergic to Rosewood and "ebonizing" formula that they apply on hardwood.

March 14, 2016 at 10:17 PM · I'm sorry to disappoint Seraphim, but I think I am selling my viola, and some bows to fund myself to get cello.

March 15, 2016 at 05:46 AM · Wow, so fast? I'm not ready to give up my viola but I'd get a cello (also) if I had a place to put it.

March 15, 2016 at 05:55 AM · That is quite disappointing.

Have fun toting that rhinoceros around!

And just wait until you find out what a new set of cello $tring$ goes for....

Oh my!

March 15, 2016 at 10:57 AM · Go for a double bass instead.

March 15, 2016 at 12:35 PM · That's obviously his next stop....

Then, after that dalliance, he will start in on the brass and woodwinds...

March 15, 2016 at 01:05 PM · Well, someone was selling a cello for $350 in the local ad. Apparent'y it's been sold before I got to it.

March 15, 2016 at 02:18 PM · I guess I'll either trade my viola for a practice violin or sell it to save up for yet better bow.

I like playing with the viola, but it's such an asymmetric comparison to my violin. The practice is good, and I am having fun, but the sound is simply grainy and lower quality, in comparison to my good violin. The problem is that I'm too used to the sound quality of my good violin.

March 15, 2016 at 03:11 PM · Surely no cheap practice violin will match the sound quality of your good violin either. Why not just play and practice on your good violin? Even though it is a lot of money for a student, a $2.800 violin is hardly too precious to be played or carried around - people do this with way more valuable instruments (maybe you should sell the viola and invest in a good case?). I have no problem with either and have never once feared for my violin's safety.

March 15, 2016 at 03:13 PM · Johanna, that's what I'm concluding with.

I will probably invest in a better case and a bow. It's a vicious cycle.

1. I refuse to take my violin to places

2. I get a back up violin(or viola)

3. I don't like the sound of the backup

4. I sell my backup

5. back to 1.

It's happened to me 6 times now.

March 15, 2016 at 04:29 PM · ...then there's always the risk that you will love your backup violin too much to take it places too. ;)

March 15, 2016 at 04:53 PM · Steven, break the vicious cycle!

1. Your violin wants to be played! After all, they are not only beautiful to look at, but instruments and items of usage. My old violin is all the more beautiful because of the little bumps and bruises it got during the last century, they tell the story of its life!

2. You love your violin, you are careful, you won't let it out of sight or abandon it on a train, you are planning on a better case: Trust yourself, your violin is in good hands. There is no reason you shouldn't just enjoy it :-)

March 15, 2016 at 04:53 PM · Fox, that's EXACTLY what happens to my laptops.

March 15, 2016 at 06:06 PM · Johanna,

the problem is the daily cycles I go through. I have a shared office in my school, so suppose I decide to bring my violin here, I have to leave it to my trust for 7 other students AND their visitors and people who come by for meetings/conferences. I keep the violin at home for this reason.

If I had a number 2 violin to care much less about, I wouldn't feel too insecure leaving it in my office, giving me extra hour at least per day of practice.

March 18, 2016 at 01:21 AM · Yitamusic

March 19, 2016 at 01:51 AM · I must report that Viola has been replaced with Eastman VL80, I traded with someone. Now I'm back on step 2 of my cycle. If I keep the violin in my office, maybe I wouldn't have such a bias opinion?

April 7, 2016 at 11:00 PM · It's happening again. I can't stand the sound of VL80. Time to sell...

April 8, 2016 at 04:22 PM · Philanderer.

April 8, 2016 at 04:46 PM · Easy there Marjory. I'm still very loyal to Socia, my good violin. In fact, I cherish her so much, I keep her safe and locked away most of the time.

April 8, 2016 at 06:07 PM · Loyal?

You keep her locked up at home, whilst gadding about with an Eastman VL80, and even *gasp*... a cheap street viola?

April 8, 2016 at 06:58 PM · but I never once used the good bow on anything I didn't call primary bow?!

April 8, 2016 at 08:17 PM · Do I even need to bring up the Amati you kicked to the curb after Socia showed up?

It's like a bad soap opera, or a season of "The Bachelor"

April 8, 2016 at 08:54 PM · Hey, Campbell was a nice violin, but I kept on smacking her face(top) whenever I tried playing aggressively.

I wanted to protect her from me.

April 9, 2016 at 12:40 AM · You should name your new violin Rapunzel. Locked up in a tower.

April 9, 2016 at 10:52 PM · Well, VL80 has been sold. I think Viola played a big role in the net financial gain.

180 for viola, 30 for its soundpost adjustment, traded with vl80, sold vl80 for 240.

Seraphim, Socia has already been named, and she will be traveling me again until it snows again(which can actually be July in Canada).

I wonder if a Cello would make a good backup violin...

April 26, 2016 at 02:58 AM · Be advised,

I am at phase 2. I now have a new electric violin. I shall post picture, and attempt to make it into a electric chin cello.

April 26, 2016 at 03:52 AM ·  photo IMG_0195_zpsjafavryc.jpg

April 26, 2016 at 10:41 AM · The horror...

The horror...

April 26, 2016 at 10:49 AM · Don't you like the violin, then?

April 26, 2016 at 02:21 PM · I see a troubling tragectory here, my friend. A downward spiral.

You have gone from a very nice violin, with ivory highlights.

To a *gasp* viola

Then an entry level Eastman

Now it's an electric

The next stop on your journey down through the seven layers of Hell is the tambourine.

And at that point, you will most assuredly trade that in for a second hand kazoo.

Stop the madness!

April 26, 2016 at 03:18 PM · The very nice violin with ivory highlights is still my main, good,best violin, and I'm even considering decorating her with a crystal named after my University.

April 26, 2016 at 03:41 PM · Decorate?

Is that a Christmas tree?

Get that violin out and PLAY IT!

Poor thing locked up all the time.....

April 26, 2016 at 05:19 PM · It's not locked up all the time, it travels me if I am driving, and I play it everytime I am home.

Well, will be, considering that I've went through the last semester of undergraduate and I have a full-time work gap until MSc.

April 28, 2016 at 03:33 PM · I have played violin for years and got a cello for my birthday! I love it! It is great ear training and it really has helped in my violin playing. I only play on the cello for around 30 minutes a day and then when I get the violin out it seems so easy. Plus this way I get to experience the highs and lows!

April 28, 2016 at 03:50 PM · @Ashley, That's great to hear. People don't mention that cello is good for your violin playing. Mostly they talk about the differences--the fact that you're playing "upside down" and the even greater spacing (than the viola)

between tones.

April 30, 2016 at 07:35 AM · Seraphim, you're actually not too far off, I've been invited to play with a Cajun band. Which is quite a bit off from my ethnicity, but I actually like their music, and I've never seen an accordion in person either before. The person who sold me the electric violin is the accordion player by the way.

May 5, 2016 at 01:22 AM · Cello Strings 1, Nail clippers 0

Cello Strings 1, utility knife 1

Cello Strings 2, planetary pegs 0

Cello Strings 3, Conventional pegs 0

Electric Chin Cello has been abandoned, after it broke 2 sets of pegs, 1 nail clipper and almost crushing the bridge.

Now, I need new set of pegs, and fit them for my electric violin.

My luthier gave me a set of Cello strings to experiment with.

May 5, 2016 at 07:21 PM · Please, for the love of humanity, stop these insane experiments, Dr Frankenstein!

You have a perfectly lovely violin awaiting you in its' case in the closet.

The horror.....

The horror....

June 21, 2016 at 04:09 AM · I bought a set of replacement pegs for my electric violin from my luthier, which was almost an exact fit, with some glue(old style planetary pegs). Socia is currently with her physician for modern planetary pegs.

Well after fiddling around(literally), with the electric violin during my 10 minutes break here and there, one of my lab techs lent me a guitar amplifier, and it sounds pretty good.

I have been taking the electric violin up to a telescope dome in my laboratory all day, and I keep my electric violin either inside the dome, or on my desk in the shared office.

photo IMG_20160615_114323_zpsh7ydrwij.jpg

I think this is the end of the cycle, although I am starting to hunt for a viola from Yitamusic.

I'm also a bit wary of bringing Socia up to the telescope dome to play, because it's very humid and hot in there, I am afraid of seams opening, or glue coming off.

June 21, 2016 at 05:08 AM · "End of the cycle...."

HA!

Glad to see you still have a sense of humor!

You are strapped firmly to Fortuna's wheel.

You shall cycle endlessly round and round.

That said, I have enjoyed all of my Yita violas so far.

June 21, 2016 at 05:24 AM · Any thoughts on parting with one?

June 21, 2016 at 11:29 AM · As a student, you couldn't afford my prices...

;^)

June 21, 2016 at 02:19 PM · I'd suggest trying to get their 15.75" Guadagnini viola. I have two of those (one was traded to my teacher), and they have both been great, no complaints.

June 21, 2016 at 02:50 PM · "Ditching the screaming E and getting the luscious C in exchange is a change in worldview that is not easily undone. "

It's only a screaming E if you play it like that.

Stephen - how long are you going to make your fiddle remain a virgin?

Violas are for people who fall asleep during performances. (Like me). (Was) (wink) (Maybe explanation later).

June 21, 2016 at 02:52 PM ·

June 21, 2016 at 04:09 PM · Peter, Socia is not a virgin. She gets out all the time, I just don't leave it in insecure places.

June 21, 2016 at 04:31 PM · "I believe that it will be a violin that I will hold onto at least for the rest of my life."

It's always good to be optimistic! What's the most you might hold onto it for?

June 21, 2016 at 05:43 PM · I'll trade you one of my Yita violas for Socia...

June 21, 2016 at 08:07 PM · No!

June 21, 2016 at 08:46 PM · Socia is causing you nothing but angst-- Too hot out, too cold out, too valuable to leave at your desk, can't travel with it due to ivory bans.

I'm here to help.

I'll trade you my nice, big juicy 17" for her.

Straight up trade, thus it will cost you nothing, so you can stop worrying about it getting stolen, overheated, etc, etc.

June 21, 2016 at 10:41 PM · Yes, straight up nothing, other than my beautiful Socia, who's caused me to be broke for 8 months to get.

I literally took up 4 teaching contracts, just to pay for it.

July 15, 2016 at 11:19 PM · Well, I am at the next phase again... electric violin is up for sale along with its amp and cables. I think I am going to save up and get myself one of those musafia cases, or try holding onto a Viola. I'm finding that I am carrying Socia with me literally everywhere, and the stress points for the carrying strap seems to be coming apart on my current case.

July 16, 2016 at 01:32 AM · I vote viola

July 17, 2016 at 04:25 PM · Get a better case, but you don't need a super good one, good enough that the violin is well protected (no rattling, minimal padding, etc>. Do you still need a new bow? And get a viola too. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

July 18, 2016 at 02:04 PM · My current case is 'good enough', but I want a smaller case with adequate protection. As for bow, I have a new one since May, and I like it. As for viola. I can't quite afford both.

September 1, 2016 at 11:16 PM · Well, I've finally committed, I've placed an order from yitamusic for 15.5" Viola, after trying out a 15", 15.5" and 16" violas locally.

I'll probably ask my luthier to put on a Wittner tailpiece the moment it arrives.

I am also probably going to trade the 13" viola(which I bought earlier this week) for a set of Infeld Red violin strings or a set of Dominants to at a store.

The viola shall be the once-a-while practice and alternative instrument to play. I think(hopefully for the sake of my wallet) this would be as much I will invest in a viola.

September 3, 2016 at 12:55 AM · I have played viola exclusively for around two years now. I learnt violin originally, but found the pitch of violin to be too high for my ear, and struggled with that aspect for years. At first it was tough realigning everything from violin to a bigger instrument - 16" viola - but it is all second nature now.

September 3, 2016 at 12:57 AM · I think it's the part that I am not used to a larger instrument that makes it a good practice for ear training and shifting. I really love the single string play, especially A and E on my violin.

September 7, 2016 at 01:33 AM · I ended up ordering a 15.5" viola from Yitamusic. A local luthier liked the viola itself, but criticized the set-up quite bit. I do have to agree with how not-well-fitted the pegs are, and the end button is at an angle, as one of the violins that Fox started discussing about. The luthier also mentioned that the fingerboard needs a bit of a touch. I personally can't tell right now. The original strings that came with it sounds-okay. It is very edgy and metallic, but I can't quite afford a new set yet. I'll probably go for warchal karnoel sample

I got rid of the original tailpiece, and put on a Wittner tailpiece. It's definitely a decent viola. The IPE bow I've requested with it, the hair is ill-fitted as did one of the snakewood bows I bought from them a while back.

I am currently hoping that the strings will break in, and it will play better when it does. I'm also noticing possible wolf in the first position at F-F# on D string. It could be just the bad rosin/string combination + my tired arms because I am failing to make good sound out of the viola for the time being.

September 7, 2016 at 07:46 AM · F-F# on the D-string is the main wood resonance of a viola (complementing the air-cavity B flat on the G-string); often open A as well, and a "pinched" sound on C# on the A-string.

Nasty strings do not "break in", they just drill holes in our ear-drums!

Try to borrow a used set of Dominants to get an impression of the viola's true character, then try "viola strings" in the search box. Chez Pirastro, Evahs are the brightest, Aricore the sweetest, Obligatos in between.

September 7, 2016 at 01:45 PM · Adrian, with this set of strings, I can get decent tone out with just the right bowing. A very specific bowing, but it seems that even the thickest amount of rosin won't let me bow as light and fast as I am used to.

Whence I get paid at the end of the month, I will ask my luthier for a decent set of strings, and maybe buy a set.

September 7, 2016 at 01:45 PM · Adrian, with this set of strings, I can get decent tone out with just the right bowing. A very specific bowing, but it seems that even the thickest amount of rosin won't let me bow as light and fast as I am used to.

Whence I get paid at the end of the month, I will ask my luthier for a decent set of strings, and maybe buy a set.

November 6, 2016 at 06:45 AM · I'm currently trying to sell/trade the viola off locally, and get a 88 keys electric piano. My luthier had a look at my viola, and she even gave me a used set of Dominant D string, and the new D string actually has improved the sound greatly.

I'm starting to reach a fork here.

It sounds and feels like that the viola has potentials, and it does give me a good ear and shift training, but is it worth spending a few hundred dollars more on, and keeping it.

November 6, 2016 at 10:39 AM · Find a (semi)-professional violist and see what he/she has to say.

November 7, 2016 at 07:38 PM · Sell it.

You know you must. You are firmly lashed to Fortuna's wheel!

It's how you roll: You buy it, you love it, you find it's flaws, you sell it, then you miss it, you start thinking you should try one again, you buy it,you love it, you find it's flaws, you sell it........

November 8, 2016 at 03:18 AM · Seraphim, I'm not sure if I should congratulate you for being right about the cycle, or get annoyed by it.

December 18, 2016 at 08:30 PM · The Viola has officially left my hands Today.

I swear I will NOT buy another violin/viola until something eclipses Socia, and I can afford it(not within the next decade).

December 18, 2016 at 09:31 PM · Are we getting close to 100 posts yet?

December 18, 2016 at 10:35 PM · 93 yet. 7+ more to come...

Congrats, Steven.

December 19, 2016 at 02:20 AM · Well, if you want a lifetime. Even if strum entry, why not commission one?

I am hoping to do so by getting a perfect replica of IL Cannone, complete with all the registration timbres, volume, strings and tbeir Paganini gauges alongside his setup bridge and fittings, the measurements (duh), and even the light wolf that the original has in the same place when strung with pure gut (C on the G string). :D

December 19, 2016 at 02:22 AM · This thread may reach 100 and fade into oblivion.

But a new thread will emerge, right about April, I'll say, when he gets his next viola/violin/....

December 19, 2016 at 02:36 AM · I do fantasize about commissioning a violin from my luthier eventually.

Craig, that's a very optimistic statement. Hopefully by April, I won't be starting a thread looking for my violin, stolen somewhere in Europe(Britain,France and Switzerland) during my work term over there.

Also, I actually put a bid on a violin(for a friend I swear!) on e-bay.

December 19, 2016 at 06:25 AM · When I started out I bought an electric violin for quiet practice, but soon realized that I really only enjoy playing on my acoustic. Now that I've dived into a more advanced violin so early on, that is even more true. Down the road I may buy a second (or third) violin, but I've already decided that it must at least equal the one I have in terms of its quality and my desire to play it. Or it is a waste of resources. Any future violins would also have to differ enough in character so as to be district in some way. Warmer vs brighter, etc.

But I will not worry about damage or theft beyond taking precautions. If it's not safe, the violin stays home. For instance, with snow and ice on the ground, it doesn't come to my office that day. Otherwise, if it does come with me... it will be part of me and go where I go. Stop at a store... bring it in. Not allowed, skip the store.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe