Ever use your case as a battering ram?

February 1, 2016 at 07:07 AM · Hello all,

So as a college student, I take the bus/train to and from school. As I am sure you all are aware people are very rude. So to make a long story short have any of you ever used your case as a battering ram to defend yourself against rude people who are trying to shove you off the bus and or trian?

Replies (24)

February 1, 2016 at 02:04 PM · No, but a boogie board served a similar purpose on the London tube for me whilst on the way home from a sea-side holiday.

February 1, 2016 at 02:54 PM · I can oknly picture that encounter. Made me laugh pretty hard.

February 1, 2016 at 03:03 PM · I carry a viola.

People simply stay far away from me, as if I were a leper.

February 1, 2016 at 03:22 PM · Pretty silly since viola-playing isn't contagious...

February 1, 2016 at 04:27 PM · No, I have not... and have no intention to do so. Unless you have a VSO or a carbon fibre instrument, you have more to lose, than gain.

February 1, 2016 at 04:42 PM · My case is a fiberglass and a thick padded material combination. The violin hardly moves while inside of it. And haha if a viola player was a contagious diseaseI would have been a viola player a long time ago! I live with two of them!

February 1, 2016 at 05:29 PM · Once, some guy pushed me on the subway to get to a seat I was about to take. No biggie. Until he kept hitting me feet while I was standing there... If it was crowded, I'd understand but it wasn't. The man was pretty aggressive. Everybody was watching. He leaned forward as my stop came to. I turned and accidentally knocked him in the face. When I turned around to see what I'd hit, I saw him leaning back with a bloodied nose. Karma can be a B****.

February 1, 2016 at 05:33 PM · Aha, another reason to have a carbon fiber violin - violin as weapon!

February 1, 2016 at 06:38 PM · A former colleague told me that he once tried to enter a packed subway car but only his arm -- holding his briefcase -- made it inside. The rest of him did not fit, even though people behind him were trying to push him in. When the doors closed he had to let go of his briefcase. He waited some time for the train to come back, and when it did, there sitting in the corner of the empty car, was his briefcase, with everything still inside. That was in Tokyo. I suggest you do not try this with your violin.

February 1, 2016 at 06:44 PM · The trains in Japan are awesome.

The people are nice too.

And the food is fantastic.

They may not let you past customs if you have a viola though....

February 1, 2016 at 08:00 PM · I have never used my violin case as a battering ram and don't intend to. However, I remember as a young teenager crossing the Scarborough Rail Bridge in York one winter afternoon on the way to the Schools Strings (Junior) Orchestra, I was passing a man and he made a sudden grab at me. I thrust the violin case at him by instinct and shouted, 'Get off!' and he laughed in a nasty way, but slunk off. Ugh!

February 1, 2016 at 08:02 PM · Good defense idea!

February 2, 2016 at 02:53 AM · I always walk a 3km path to my school everyday and sometimes with my violin. It's a path shared by cyclists and boarders, and pedestrians(along the Ottawa canal, yes the canal turns into a long outdoor skating field in the winter).

3 violins ago, a rude cyclist hit himself with my case at a high speed. I fell, no damage on the violin, case totaled, the cyclist fell off his bike and his bike fell into the canal.

Since then, I literally wrap my arms around the case whenever I walk with it. I get funny looks, but, I'm not letting some cyclist hit my violin.

February 2, 2016 at 03:24 AM · Is it wrong that I laughed at that?

February 3, 2016 at 03:14 AM · About how I walk with my violin?

February 3, 2016 at 05:48 AM · No, how you unintentionally knocked the living hell out of some poor dude!

February 3, 2016 at 01:54 PM · Well, I've also decided to put reflectors on each edge of my black case. My next case shall be fluorescent red or orange for my violin's safety from cyclists.. Not so much from thieves.

February 3, 2016 at 05:33 PM · My current case is Cardinal red for that very reason. Also being robbed isn't my biggest concern, most thieves in the part of LA where I'm from don't care about instruments, they just want your cash.

February 4, 2016 at 02:08 AM · In my (high)schooldays I used to put my violin case in front of me lengthwise when getting off the bus. Sort of helped people to make way for me. You tend to be more conscious of a piece of wood asking you to get out of the way than of a little squirt of a schoolboy.

February 4, 2016 at 05:27 AM · That's fairly close to using it the way I would.

February 4, 2016 at 05:27 AM · That's fairly close to using it the way I would.

February 4, 2016 at 03:03 PM · I'm astounded that nobody has yet mentioned what happened to Rachel Barton Pine. Long story short, the strap of her violin case got caught in closing train doors, she refused to let go of the violin (I think it was a Del Gesu), and was dragged under the train, losing a leg.

Do not play games with violin cases on trains.

February 4, 2016 at 08:14 PM · Wow! Just....... Wow

February 4, 2016 at 08:14 PM · Wow! Just....... Wow

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition
ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

AVIVA Young Artist Program

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe