Where/How do you carry your BonMusica Shoulder rest?

January 24, 2016 at 06:07 AM · Hello, I currently play my violin with 3 different SR configurations.

1. Viva la music Diamond SR.

2. BonMusica SR

3. fine cloth with leather patch(no SR)

My Viva la musica SR has been falling apart with age. It has served me very well for 3 years. It was supposed to be my secondary SR, but it fits in my case versus its counterpart, so it was the only SR I've been using for a long time.

Now, Bonmusica, I like that thing a lot. It has been sitting in my violin supply cabinet for some time only because it wouldn't fit in my case.

The I read that a lot of people have the same problems. I'm curious, if you use BonMusica SR, how do you carry it with your instrument? I intend to use SRs that I have until they literally break before buying another one. I've spent too much money in this hobby so far.

Replies

January 24, 2016 at 10:54 AM · My bonmusica fits in my SR spot...but I've been using VLM Diamond.

January 24, 2016 at 11:01 AM ·

January 24, 2016 at 12:10 PM · My Bon Musica fits well in the compartment of my Musafia.

January 24, 2016 at 12:46 PM ·

January 24, 2016 at 12:48 PM · Ways I've seen players store the Bon Musica -

Tying it to the case. Untidy.

Dismantling the thing before putting the pieces into the violin case. Well, ok for a while, until a vital screw or nut falls down a gap between the floorboards (I've seen that happen!). However, continued unscrewing and rescrewing screws and nuts will eventually wear them out and loosen the SR.

Keeping it with the sheet music in a separate shoulder bag. Probably the best option if it doesn't fit easily in the case.

January 24, 2016 at 12:54 PM ·

January 24, 2016 at 02:09 PM · Liz, I have a Master series and a Luxury series. I just checked, and it fits in my Bobelock half-moon as well.

January 24, 2016 at 02:20 PM · I've a BAM stylus ( http://www.bamcases.com/en/instruments/string-cases/violin/4347-stylus-violin-case---black.html ), and it fits, but only with a specific angle. A place the hook at the corner of the big slot where scrol get placed, and push it forward so the shoulder rest get stuck under the neck, so it won't touch the scroll to cause scrathes.

January 24, 2016 at 03:15 PM · I have the Cushy Deluxe case cover and the Bon Musica fits nicely in the bottom exterior compartment with plenty of room to spare.

January 24, 2016 at 03:35 PM ·

January 24, 2016 at 04:37 PM · My case has large compartments so most kinds of shoulder rests would fit. I used to have a case that had smaller compartments and I had to tie my sholder rest bag to the case.

January 25, 2016 at 01:34 AM · Another option is to buy the spare parts for your Diamond, now in the rough.

http://vlm-augustin.com/shop/endmember-sparefeet-spareparts.html

My apologies for not helping you with the Bon Musica SR concerns.

January 25, 2016 at 01:43 AM · Hello Adalberto, thanks. I actually was looking for spare parts last year, I couldn't find any resources.

I need new feet, and the foam is coming off, and wood is chipped near apparently what's called end members.

January 25, 2016 at 11:11 AM ·

January 25, 2016 at 11:20 AM · I have a Gewa case cover which gives two pouches on each side for extra gear.

January 25, 2016 at 12:27 PM · I actually never got a response from them last year when I asked to be referred to parts supplier. Maybe I should try again.

January 25, 2016 at 05:40 PM · I store it in the pocket on my case that's intended for sheet music.

January 26, 2016 at 12:21 PM · I currently use Bon Musica and it fits in the top compartment of my rectangular bobelok case. I do not disassemble it. I just lay it on it's side.

January 26, 2016 at 01:07 PM · I put mine into the soft outer pocket of my Hiscox violin case, with the feet turned 90 degrees clockwise (so that I know to turn them 90 degrees counter-clockwise when I take it out). However, I don't like it as a solution - I'd rather it was inside the case to benefit from the protection that it offers, since the Bon Musica is not cheap! Unfortunately it doesn't fit. It frustrates me sufficiently to want to buy a different case, though I'd need to sell my Hiscox first.

January 26, 2016 at 04:13 PM · Well, the next time I buy a case, I'll definitely ask the supplier if they bonmusica SR fits. The problem is that there's nothing "wrong" with my case, and I don't intend to upgrade until I have money lying around. In 10 years I suppose?

February 6, 2016 at 09:23 PM · Well, I've bought a used Mach One SR today, and I think I have a new favorite.

The question now lies on what to do with 2 unused SR and 4 unused CR. I'll probably donate them to a local youth program along with my used set of Obligato

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe