How to rent a high quality violin?

December 7, 2015 at 06:52 AM · I'm a violist who is strongly considering purchasing a violin. I've been wanting to rent a nice violin (valued at perhaps 3-6k) but have been unable to find any local shops who will rent anything other than beginner level instruments. I wanted to rent a violin for a few months before deciding if I want to purchase one.

Any ideas on possible solutions to this? Thank you!

Replies (6)

December 7, 2015 at 09:38 AM · If you are in the United States, you can try renting online with Johnson String. They have master level violin for rent.

December 7, 2015 at 01:59 PM · A few years ago my old violin needed a repair to a split in the table travelling up from the saddle block, which isn't all that uncommon in old instruments. I took it to a local dealer who also makes and repairs (this was in Bristol, England), whom I had known for many years in my days as a cellist. Because it would be two or three weeks before the repair could get done I asked if it was possible to borrow a violin for that period. "No problem, sir!" I was invited to take my pick of the extensive showroom upstairs. Which I did, and three weeks later I was so pleased with the violin I had borrowed that I purchased it to have as my second instrument.

Perhaps you might like to consider a similar scenario in your circumstances?

December 7, 2015 at 05:15 PM · Hello,

I have a lovely Joseph Hill Violin to sell with a Tim Baker bow, both came from Beares in London.

Would suit professional.

Sale price 10,000 euros with case included.

Willing to rent out for a trial period before purchase.

Violin located in Nice, France.

Please contact fparoissien@gmail.com

0033 (6) 49.46.66.57

December 8, 2015 at 01:55 PM · Rental violins often have peg problems because the other users have abused them, put peg dope in them, etc. Make sure your rental violin has a Wittner tail piece with the four fine-tuners built in, not those horrible things that push a screw directly down onto the string.

December 8, 2015 at 05:23 PM · When I purchased a $7,000 violin from a dealer in Philadelphia, I asked for a 2 week trial period because I live 5 hours away in NY. It was "no problem". You can probably work something similar with any large, reputable dealer, especially if you are interested in buying an instrument.

December 8, 2015 at 05:47 PM · You might find a shop somewhere who will give you long trial period if you put down a large deposit. Or allow you to buy and then exchange later(sometimes a restocking fee is involved). Most shops will work with you(in their own manner) if you are serious about buying an instrument. I'd strongly advise finding a shop and establishing a relationship with them. If you do business there and know you, they are more inclined to work with you on such things.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Virtual Sejong Music Competition
Virtual Sejong Music Competition

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe