Cadenza for Mozart Violin concerto n° 4, D Major

April 2, 2014 at 02:52 PM · Dear Violinists, I'm looking for an alternative violin cadenza for Mozart's 4th violin concerto (I already have and always played Joachim's)

Does anyone know/ have a different one? I would really appreciate if you guys have ideas or even better, you could scan it for me? I would be so grateful!!!

Thanks a lot fellow violinists!!

Replies (17)

April 2, 2014 at 03:39 PM · Herrman is another one thats widely available

April 2, 2014 at 03:57 PM · Kreisler did one, but I think you have to fork out for that one.

Peters Edition has one, but it's not musically up to the standard of the Joachim.

April 2, 2014 at 04:12 PM · look at Robert Levin's cadenzas. Gives you a lot of improvisatory options. Levin is arguably one of the greatest mozart historians and players

April 2, 2014 at 07:15 PM · Vengerov plays his own, which you can access on video.

April 2, 2014 at 08:02 PM · I have a set of cadenzas by Ferdinand David, Joseph Joachim, Henri Marteau, Emile Sauret, O. Zeeger (don't know who this guy is), Leopold Auer, Jascha Heifetz, B Fischman (don't know who he is, and only has cadenza for first movement) and N. Baklanova (don't know who this is, and only has cadenza for first movement).

These are mostly more romantic cadenzas and would not be considered "stylistically appropriate". However, they do provide valuable insight into how composition for cadenzas was approached 100 years ago or so.

This document also includes cadenzas by various people for the 1st-3rd concerti as well. Message me if you are interested.

Hope this helps,

George

April 3, 2014 at 12:42 PM · I've actually composed my own cadenzas to the Mozart 4th, and quite a few other works. But until I publish them, I'll keep them for my own use.

April 3, 2014 at 01:30 PM · Yes, Raphael, but if a Mozart gets into your performance and does an Allegri Miserere on your cadenza, bang goes your copyright.

April 3, 2014 at 01:38 PM · Even the Pope of the time lifted the automatic excommunication order on Mozart for nicking the Miserere by listening to the Sistine Chapel performance.

(Edit added: having said that, I'm not sure whether the USA and Europe/Britain copyright laws are the same in respect of performances of unpublished work. Caveat: I was a UK patent attorney in a previous life, but was not involved in music/literary copyright law).

April 4, 2014 at 05:39 PM · I think the cadenzas in MY Peters Edition, 1910, are by Marteau - He's down as the editor.

I think the Kreisler cadenzas are available on http://everynote.com/violin.show/127092.note for $1.86.

April 4, 2014 at 10:38 PM · Also Menuhin's cadenzas - very romantic - were published. Milstein's cadenzas were not. The one for the 1st movement is a simplified version of the Joachim, but as always Milstein's adaptation is very effective, more so even than Joachim I dare say.

April 5, 2014 at 11:09 PM · If you are up for it, you could play the Heifetz cadenza. Its hard, but sounds amazing.

April 5, 2014 at 11:10 PM · If you are up for it, you could play the Heifetz cadenza. Its hard, but sounds amazing.

April 5, 2014 at 11:50 PM · hope you find what you want.

at the same times don't underestimate the value of writing your owns

cheers,

buri

August 3, 2014 at 04:08 PM · So which of these (or another) Moz4 cadenzas are considered the most stylistically correct. After working on the Vitali/David Chacone I find it unlikely that this one would be (but have not heard it).

And the humbler question - which are the easiest!

August 3, 2014 at 04:45 PM · Nigel Kennedy, James Ehnes and Augustin Hadelich wrote nice cadenzas for Mozart 4. Nigel Kennedy's cadenza is quite "meditative and zen-like." Viktoria Mullova uses cadenzas by harpsichordist Ottavio Dantone and Pam Frank uses cadenzas written for her by conductor David Zinman.

August 4, 2014 at 06:11 AM · Thanks Sung-Duk - I don't suppose you have any idea how one obtains sheet music for these cadenzas? I presume the current artists should be paid but it would be nice if there was a repository to make it easy to find.

August 4, 2014 at 05:50 PM · http://www.augustin-hadelich.de/ go into 'About' - 'Cadenzas'.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha YVN Model 3
Yamaha YVN Model 3

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Tomplay
Tomplay

Violin Pedagogy Symposium
Violin Pedagogy Symposium

Masterclass Al-Andalus
Masterclass Al-Andalus

Aria International Summer Academy

Meadowmount School of Music

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe