Musical families

August 22, 2013 at 05:47 PM · Does the kids of the musical families eg orchestra musician or advanced amateur musicians have advantages over those kids who have only weekly lessons with teacher?

It seems kids born to musical families become much more better trained and improve fast orders of magnitudes than those kids in families where music is essentially non existence until the kid starts up an instrument.

Replies (3)

August 22, 2013 at 07:14 PM · It really depends on how talented the kid is, and also how much devotion they put into improving their musical skills.

Here's an example: Last season in my Youth Orchestra, I was assistant-concermaster. The guy that was concertmaster (so my stand-partner) comes from a VERY musical family. His sisters play the violin, piano, and sing; and his father was a well-known local musician when he was young. He himself plays the violin, piano, and sings, all at very high skill levels.

As for me, I come from a family with little-to-none musical experience. My parents were much too poor to ever get music lessons, and the only time they came in contact with instruments was probably at school. Well, I have been playing the violin for almost eight years now, and in two days, I'm set to take my RCM Grade 10 Violin Practical Exam!

I believe in terms of talent and skill level my stand-partner and I are quite equal. He is probably much more knowledgable in music then me, given his very musical family, but I don't think there's anything of what he can do that I can't do (apart from singing in a low tenor voice, aha).

I hope I don't seem like I'm boasting, I am simply trying to answer your question, haha! (Well, hope it helped)

Take care,

-Grace :)

August 22, 2013 at 08:09 PM · My experience is that it is more the family's attitude than musical ability, with the one caveat that someone from a musical family may have a certain innate musical ability from genetic endowment. However, family involvement is really crucial. When my son was young, he had a friend, Jay. Jay's father was not musical and maybe tone deaf, and Jay's mother could play piano but not really well. Jay was one of four children. He played violin, one of his sisters played violin, another played viola, and his brother played cello. His parents were fanatical about music and formed the kids into a string quartet. The quartet would periodically play at the Kennedy Center. The kids went to music camp in the summer. The kids have all grown up. They are all professional classical musicians. Two are members of the Jupiter Quartet. So, I think parent attitude/involvement counts for a great deal.

August 22, 2013 at 09:36 PM · Looking at any greater players, it is rare to find one where there is no family involvement and usually at a very high level. I enjoy reading that X's mother / father / was principal bassoonist, harpist, concert pianist, etc.

Looking at our local music conservatory, the kids who win the scholarships, the kids who move on to study at the Sydney con, the kids who move on to teach music, the kids who stay with music - overwhelmingly these are kids who have families who AT A VERY MINIMUM are taking them to rehearsals and lessons, who make time for extra curricular musical events. All of the better students are those who have a playing accomplished adult in the family. And of course, these are then kids who have siblings doing the same thing, so then its whole families who become known for winning the eisteddfords etc over the years.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha YVN Model 3
Yamaha YVN Model 3

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe