Recognize those strings

March 6, 2013 at 06:27 AM · Hello everyone,

I am trying to figure out which strings James Ehnes is using in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW8TBdPNQOY

Can anyone figure it out? I have been going over string color charts, but cannot seem to find out which strings he is using.

Here is a still photo of his tailpiece:

http://postimage.org/image/5kkqzf5o1/

(you can click on it to make it bigger)

Christian

Replies (7)

March 6, 2013 at 05:04 PM · Look like Passione

March 6, 2013 at 05:50 PM · Hi,

The Guarneri Del G├ęsu violin that James Ehnes is playing is not his, but one of the instruments belonging to David Fulton that were featured in performances by James Ehnes in the DVD Hommage.

That said, on this instrument, it appears to be either Passione or Oliv or a combination of the two (Passione A with Oliv D&G). Hard to tell with the lighting.

Cheers!

March 6, 2013 at 06:26 PM · In the photograph, it looks like red wrapping on the A, brown on the D, and purple on the G, which would be a Tonica A, Passione D, and Eudoxa G... it would probably look different depending on your computer display settings, though.

March 7, 2013 at 03:58 AM · Hi all,

A friend sent me a link to this discussion - I hope I'm able to help. I have to admit my memory is a bit fuzzy on this, but I think the G string was Eudoxa, the D string was Oliv, and the A string was Tonica. I'm pretty sure the E string was Pirastro Gold. An odd combination, in retrospect!

For what it's worth, I use Peter Infeld (PI) strings on my Strad for the G, D, and A (I prefer the aluminum D to the silver), and a heavy-guage Pirastro Gold on the E.

March 7, 2013 at 08:09 AM · Great to hear from you on this website James. I'm sorry I missed your masterclass at the RAM in February and I also missed Maxim Vengerov's due to illness.

I remember having a close look at your Marsick Strad last year at the RAM, and hearing you make such a fantastic sound on it at your Wigmore recital the day before.

March 7, 2013 at 12:20 PM · Thank you so much taking time to write on this site James! :) Thank you for answering the question and also for the information on your own string setup on your Strad. Since we are on this topic, I just want to say again that I loved your performances in the Hommage DVD!

Cheers!

March 8, 2013 at 02:55 AM · Well, how about that. :) Thanks James, much appreciated.

It is a very individual combination of strings indeed. I guess one can assume that they took their time for finding the right individual strings for this particular instrument. Interesting choice.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Juilliard Starling-DeLay Symposium on Violin Studies
Juilliard Starling-DeLay Symposium on Violin Studies

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe