Lindsey Stirling

November 8, 2012 at 07:59 PM · What do you guys think of Lindsey Stirling? She is a pop violinist. I love her songs she writes like "Spontaneous Me" "Electric Daisy" and her interpretation of Silent Night, and if you haven't listened to her songs, you should, she is amazing!

Replies (19)

November 8, 2012 at 11:51 PM · She is unique and doing her own thing. I hope she has good luck and many of her interpretations and composistions are very entertaining. Is she technically a great violinist? I dont think shes trying to be. My favorite of her videos is the shadow dance. very creative. Good luck to her future.

Another young violinist doing her own thing is Taylor Davis. She is composing her own covers of popular video game "music". lol, but she does a great job.

November 9, 2012 at 12:17 PM · She's touring right now, I went to one of her shows. Well worth the price. She's got an incredible fan base. With nearly a million YouTube subscribers and 166 million video hits, she's doing something right.

November 9, 2012 at 01:57 PM · She is talented that's for sure. It's nice that she adds performance art to her music-gives it a modern pop feel. Her style is not conformed in the classical style but she did study classical. It's awesome that she took a chance and is able to be successful at it. She does have quite the following. I too like the Shadow Dance video.

November 11, 2012 at 07:45 PM · I think Lindsey definitely does a great job at what she does, and is lucky to have people that do such great video. As for how great a violinist she is, it's probably not fair to compare her to classical expectations. As far as videogame music violinists go however these two guys stand out to me>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkWcUtga1lw

November 11, 2012 at 09:08 PM · She's not bad, but it's frustrating when I go to to a school like I did last week, and I get a 6th grade class all saying that she is the best violinist ever. She does a lot of "pop" things, but is nothing that I would call great.

November 14, 2012 at 01:21 AM · She was the pivotal reason my daughter and I got excited and started playing violin. I love what she does. I don't think she's the most accurate violin player around, but you can tell she loves what she's doing and she is still pretty damned good at it and we appreciate that and put together in a package, it captured our hearts.

In fact, I have a couple of her sheet musics and have been practicing on "The River Flows In You" lately (sadly it's no longer available on her site for sale.)

November 14, 2012 at 01:52 AM · She's definitely got a talent in what she is trying to do. Is she an amazing violinist? I don't think so. Is she good at what she plays, the way she enjoys playing it? Certainly. People enjoy her music. I do to a certain extent too. One thing I realized though is that a lot of her original songs tend to have a very similar sound. Not that that's bad as I can imagine any artist gets hooked on a sound they like for certain periods of time.

But here's where I draw the line: She was playing a violin while getting drenched with water in one of her videos. That poor poor violin and bow... I hope it was a VSO!

November 14, 2012 at 06:24 PM · @Tristan: yes, the violin she used while playing in the rain, near by the fire, snow is the cheap violin. I heard she bought it from ebay.

November 15, 2012 at 04:20 AM · Making of "Elements" video

"I used my " [airquotes] "stunt violin. Her name is Ingrid and I got her off ebay for 40 dollars."

So yeah, it's a VSO.

November 15, 2012 at 01:13 PM · I can't stand this trend. Her playing is quite poor, there are some videos where her intonation is so far off it hurts, her tone is always boring, her 'music' is entirely unoriginal. She may very well 'love what she does' but that doesn't make what she does good. I hear all sorts of people who know nothing about violin talking about how amazing a violinist she is, and it upsets me. These are people that I can't get to listen to Heifetz, they would prefer Lindsey Stirling to Heifetz. She is cute, and that is all she has going for her, guess that's more important than skill or originality. She's not even a good dancer, I don't really see the point in doing two things poorly at once and calling it amazing. She says she's been playing for 20 years, I expect more from someone who has 20 years of experience.

November 15, 2012 at 05:23 PM · I dunno.

There are people who "make it" based upon their ability to play technically accurate and I appreciate that and the people who have the ear to appreciate it.

But not all performers have to fit that mold I think. I do agree that her dancing isn't that great and that she does generally the same type of music.

But I don't care. I'm still entertained. And at the end of the day - isn't that the goal of any musician? The audience might be different but if the audience is in to it, is what she's doing wrong?

November 15, 2012 at 07:07 PM · She's just so bland musically, if you want great pop violin listen to Andrew Bird, he does something original, creative, entertaining and a lot better than Sterling.

November 15, 2012 at 08:23 PM · I will check him out for sure.

I've also been listening to "Bond" (the group) "2 Cellos" and Nick Kwas a lot. For varying reasons.

And I watched a bunch of youtube videos on Heifetz - and he's the tippy tops by way of accuracy and sound I agree. But much of the time, he appears (to me) to be bored. Same with another Asian woman I watched a bunch of (who's name escapes me right now). She's good but she seems so bored with playing.

And that puts me off a bit.

In fact, in Heifetz's case, I much more enjoyed the vids where he was teaching a master class. At least in that he had life and enthusiasm!

Another that strikes me is Itzhak Perlman - he's not only great (I think) but he geniunely seems to love what he's doing. If there was anyone who I would strive to be like - it'd be him.

But I still enjoy Lindsey for who / what she is. =)

November 16, 2012 at 04:18 AM · You want to watch a violinist who "loves what she's doing" then I suggest April Verch. She plays in tune too.

November 22, 2012 at 06:48 PM · Draco. Heifetz once said. "There's no way that the audience can see your smile past the second row unless you have a couple to many drinks." That made me laugh but it's really true. You don't have to see music. You have to hear it. Think about it that way.

November 23, 2012 at 02:21 AM · I just watched a total of two Lindsey Sterling videos after reading this discussion. The last pop music video saw I was a Christina Aguilera video. The chorus was something about how much she wants to sleep with someone and in the video she seduces guys and then kills them! I can't believe this stuff is on television. I find it appalling. But here is an instrumentalist who seems to be making it in the pop world and she's fully dressed in her videos and as far as I can see hasn't set the women's movement back a century. Oh yeah and she might inspire some kid to pick up a violin and that might lead to some kid deciding they like violin so much they start to like classical music. I say the more violin on youtube the better.

November 23, 2012 at 06:11 AM · I just saw her show last week. As a classical violinist, I can't say I enjoyed her too much? I don't think I need to explain the reasons...

I did notice a couple things though. It's a totally different genre of audience. They enjoy folk or whatever her style really is. As far as I can tell, she is an entertainer not a violinist. As long as she puts on a good show, that's enough for me. Plus, she tries so hard and she seemed so happy doing it. Let's be open minded and enjoy the show eh?

November 30, 2012 at 11:24 PM · If you want beautiful pop violin to dancey/pop music, Lindsey Stirling is the elite of the genre. No one else does what she does and moves like she moves. Whether she is "classically trained" or not is irrelevant. If you want a beautifully skilled and classically trained Violinist who is almost always the picture of perfection in technique, etc... Janine Jansen is your girl, all the way. Hillary Hahn isn't bad either! :-D

But anyway, as a Violinist, I was intrigued with Lindsey Stirling, and I think she revives the violin in pop culture in a very valid and original way. Whether you like her music or not, whether you like her technique or not, whether or not you agree with how she was educated... She is like a true bard of old. Smiling, dancing and playing. She inspires people to learn about the Violin, she's like the gateway drug of classical music and stringed instruments. So please, let's show everyone that classical violinists are not all snobs. :) Lindsey has her place in music, and it's a solid, bright, and original place.

December 1, 2012 at 05:39 AM · I actually somewhat know her personally; we went to college together. (I was in the music school, she was not...) Years ago, I just rolled my eyes at her performances because she was kitchy and out of tune. These days, I rather find that she is in her own genre apart from classical music; so she does something totally different from what I strive to do. And honestly, she's pretty good at it. Like said by someone above, she is an entertainer, and that is the extent of my appreciation.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe