New recording of Paganini Caprices

November 5, 2012 at 03:50 AM · Hi!

I heard the most amazing recording of the Paganini caprices the other day. I've never written here before, just enjoyed reading all the posts. But I felt I had to tell you about this.

Here's what happened:

I'm in Sweden visiting my great aunt. The other night I went to a concert with the Royal Philharmonic. It was great show! After the concert I met some really nice people from the orchestra. They were all talking about a Swedish violinist who recorded all the caprices by Paganini this year. They wondered if I've heard of him. Which I had not! I wrote his name down and checked it out later. I was completely knocked of my feet! I have never heard someone play the caprices that clear and with such beauty. And the sound was incredible!

I don't think the recording is out yet, but you can listen to some caprices at the site. His name in Jan Stigmer and the address is www.janstigmer.com.

Check it out!

Ellen

Replies (20)

November 5, 2012 at 02:13 PM · That's some serious violin playing! The caprices used to be a favourite of mine but I can't

remember ever hearing this level of playing and interpretation before. No.1, 17 and 18 feels like I hear them for the first time! Can't wait to hear the hole CD. The sound is indeed incredible! I've never heard of Stigmer before this. Nice to hear of a completely new player!

Eric

November 7, 2012 at 04:37 PM · very interesting!

November 7, 2012 at 06:32 PM · This is very exiting! So strange to never hear of him before. If the hole cd has the same quality it is a great success. The way to play is so personal and on exeptional level. I am so happy to listen this!

Elisabeth

November 9, 2012 at 06:11 AM · His playing is superb. The recording seems to have a disproportionate amount of reverb which imho is unnecessary given his playing and detracts from the overall experience. Am I off base in this assessment?

November 10, 2012 at 04:52 PM · Its somewhat different from the ones I heard before. Its more...sweet? Alive? Compared to Haliary Hahn's its more got a taste to it.

November 10, 2012 at 05:14 PM · Super!!!!

November 10, 2012 at 06:11 PM · I shared this with a virtuoso friend who has played the Caprices for years who said that these recordings 'put the rest of us to shame.'.

November 10, 2012 at 09:05 PM · Stunning. He makes them sound *easy*, and the intonation is just flawless. I hope they at least edited them a lot, because otherwise I have to wonder if he has some sort of genetic mutation that allows for this!

I haven't heard anything like it.

November 11, 2012 at 01:58 AM · there is an incredible sense of roundness, delicateness, or 'softness' in his style which works. even in 'loud' and passionate moments never sounds too harsh or pushes the instrument. But he still sounds 'loud', decisive and maintains a good attack and contact with the strings. It's not just a sense of ease, and many skilled violinists have that. it's really to another level. This specifically stood out to me, which is a matter of technique - would be interesting to hear a lengthy discussion about specifically this aspect of his technique. that said, musically it's not how i would play paganini

November 12, 2012 at 07:20 PM · I like these performances of the caprices. I think that what distinguishes these performances is that the bow rules. The extremely accomplished left hand is the servant of the bow.

November 14, 2012 at 12:40 PM · Incredible playing his tone in particular is outstanding. Wierd that he is still pretty unknown even here in Sweden, he is 38 years old after all.

I wonder if he can play like this live?

November 14, 2012 at 01:17 PM · 48 years old. He was born in 1964.

November 14, 2012 at 04:17 PM · 48 years old! An extreme case of a latebloomer perhaps?

Checked out some liveclips on youtube he seems to play great live as well.

November 14, 2012 at 04:48 PM · I believe that he was the concertmaster in Jönköping for a while. So he is probably just recently turning to an all-solo carrer.

November 14, 2012 at 07:31 PM · I am really surprised that a concertmaster from Jönköping would be one of the best violinsoloists in the world.

I haven´t heard any Swedish violinist that comes even comes close.

November 20, 2012 at 02:09 PM · I heard him live in Stockholm some years ago. It was at a festival of modern music at the Royal Philharmonic. He played incredible! And also ALL the soloist at the festival played with music in front of them, exept Stigmer who played his complex concerto by heart. Like it was Mendelssohn or something traditional concerto. Perhaps that is not so important, but to me it was not "mdern music" but a concerto like any other. I appreciate that.

As far as I know he is the first Scandinavian violinist to record all Paganini caprices. I remember his incredible sound from when I hear live.

Micke

November 20, 2012 at 04:14 PM · Wow - that is incredible playing. Thanks for sharing!

November 20, 2012 at 08:27 PM · That is some beautiful playing for sure.

I think there is a wrong note in the Caprice no. 5 though. 25th measure (i think 14th note). Does he play a b flat when it should be a b natural? It's about the 63 second mark.

Normally I wouldn't be that picky but this is a professional recording. Maybe someone else can check - it does go by really, really fast lol.

November 21, 2012 at 04:13 AM · Albert - that sure is a Bb :) Perhaps he liked it better that way?

November 21, 2012 at 10:00 AM · When will the rest of the caprices be released?

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe