Prepare for Hurricane Sandy

October 29, 2012 at 04:46 PM · As Hurricane Sandy begins bearing down on those of us on the eastern US seaboard, I hope all of you are safe and well prepared. I've read that 68,000,000 people may be affected from Florida up to Maine, and that large swatches of communities from North Carolina to New Hampshire may be without power for several days (or weeks) due to squalls knocking down trees and power lines; then, there is the flooding which, in our area, may reach 10 inches of rain ~ meaning feet of water as it hits the saturated ground.

Time to pull out the plastic garbage bags for music and instruments (the indignity of it all!!!).

Be well, everyone in Hurricane Sandy's path. Check on your friends, neighbors, and anyone aged or infirmed in your neighborhood. This was earlier called "the storm of a lifetime".

Replies (20)

October 29, 2012 at 05:10 PM · Sending all my best wishes and prayers to everyone on the East Coast; this is one major storm!

Once upon a time I was a newspaper reporter who wrote about weather, and I read the National Weather Service wire every day. You can find information straight from the NWS here. This is not the same as the hype from local news stations, these are the scientists. When I read a few days ago, the NWS wrote, "History is being written as an extreme weather event continues to unfold, one which will occupy a place in the annals of weather history as one of the most extraordinary to have affected the United States." This kind of extreme wording is pretty rare for the NWS. They are also refusing to call it "Frankenstorm" because they feel it is too serious of a storm.

In other words, take care, don't mess with Sandy!

October 29, 2012 at 05:17 PM · The silver lining is that if the power goes out, just about all one can do is practice the violin and play games with the kids.

I was actually kind of pleased to get a robo call from Comcast reminding all of their customers to stay well clear of downed power lines. I thought that was both prudent and neighborly of them.

October 29, 2012 at 05:59 PM · Just attended violinist Chee-Yun's recital last night. She played the Beethoven no.8, Bussoni no.2 and Brahms no.3 brilliantly with pianist Alessio Bax. But now, she's stuck in D.C until Tuesday.

October 29, 2012 at 07:03 PM · 3:03 PM in Washington DC:

The wind is really starting to kick up now. It's getting scary outside and it's only just the beginning. I hope this isn't my last post ever.

October 29, 2012 at 07:42 PM · @Vanlal, perfect opportunity for a little masterclass?

October 29, 2012 at 09:40 PM · Living - and hunkering down - in New York City's Coney Island area, I'm more than a little affected by this monster storm. But I understand that the epicenter of it will hit soutnern New Jersey, where I have done innumerable gigs. My best wishes to all who are affected by this terrible storm.

October 30, 2012 at 12:22 AM · I "fled" the UWS of Manhattan for the hills of western New Jersey a few days ago in anticipation of this. Good Lord is the wind a-HOWL-ing here though, and the eye is still about 80 miles south of me.

October 30, 2012 at 12:29 AM · the wind is getting crazy here (toronto) already - and we're not expecting Sandy till wednesday!

October 30, 2012 at 01:50 AM · I'm outside Philly where the wind is howling. we're grateful to still have power - not sure it will stay that way.

October 30, 2012 at 02:35 AM · 10:30 PM, Washington DC:

Knock on wood, seems like the worst may be over. We still have power, but after the front door was battered with rain for about 14 hours, we started getting water leaking into our house.

To make matters worse, the sump pump wasn't working. I have a leak detector hooked up to it and before it overflows, it sounds an alarm. The alarm just went off about an hour ago. I discovered the float wasn't strong enough to turn on the switch to the pump so I jury rigged a key chain float to it and now it is pumping. Yippee! I also taped some garbage bags on the front door and it is keeping out most of the water. We are all hoping that Sandy will get the hell out of here soon. I hope everyone is safe.

October 30, 2012 at 04:38 AM · Hang in there Smiley, its bad enough here, can't imagine what its like so near the core. Fortunately we are on higher ground and sitting on a pretty well drained base so should be OK - but anything can be saturated if it rains hard enough.

October 30, 2012 at 12:50 PM · Thinking about everyone this early am on the east coast. Hoping all is well.

October 30, 2012 at 02:23 PM · I am also thinking of everyone's welfare in this terrible storm. Even this far inland here in Chicago, today we have huge waves coming off Lake Michigan and winds from 20-50 mph.

My daughter lives in Philly with her husband, and they are OK, but their power is out.

Best to all,

Sandy****

****That is, Sandy the amateur violinist, NOT Sandy the hurricane.

October 30, 2012 at 03:38 PM · Sending best wishes from the West Coast to the East Coast!

October 30, 2012 at 04:08 PM · I definitely feel for those in the path of the storm, because I vividly remember the Alabama tornadoes of April 2011. Although most of my city came through unscathed, we did have to deal with a 103-hour power outage when one twister effectively shut down Browns Ferry Power Plant.

Two sisters, one in New York State, the other in Maine, reported on Sandy's aftermath as follows:

From NY: "… minimal damage compared to [Hurricane] Irene [2011]. The Hudson [River] flooded but that's 10 miles away--all the way up to Kingston where the Kingston Landing flooded."

From ME: "… we made it through just fine. … The tides are very high, but we're a safe distance from the shore. It's just very odd; unusually warm and sudden downpours; strong winds and then nothing. … Boston survived, and [my niece there] is fine. … We didn't lose power for long, but around the corner they're still out."

October 31, 2012 at 07:20 AM · Here in Europe we get the news that still some 7 million people are without electricity! I hope we will receive good news from our East Coast violinists once they are back online!

November 3, 2012 at 12:13 AM · blessed not to lose power at all here - I think New Jersey and NYC were hit the worst.

November 11, 2012 at 11:08 PM · Just got power back after 2 weeks without light or heat. My car was totalled by a tidal wave, and am now dealing with the insurance. But I, my apartment and my instruments are OK. Many people in my area have suffered much worse.

I may write a blog about it when I have a chance.

November 12, 2012 at 01:17 AM · Raphael: sorry about the damage and stress too - just very glad your instruments are fine, after all they (and yourself of course) are irreplaceable.

These things serve nature's way to remind us that we can't take anything for granted...

November 12, 2012 at 01:19 AM · Wow, that is rough Raphael. We are seeing the devastation every night on the evening news. Please write the blog soon while Sandy is still fresh in our minds.

Not to rub salt into the wound, but I just purchased a standby generator for my house, and was almost hoping for a power failure, at least for a while anyway. I guess the neighbors can thank me. By purchasing a generator, we probably will not lose power here ever again.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe