Ruggiero Ricci has died at age 94

August 6, 2012 at 05:14 PM · Legendary violinist Ruggieri Ricci has died at age 94. More at the link below:

http://www.violinist.com/blog/laurie/20128/13798/

Replies (20)

August 6, 2012 at 05:46 PM · I read somewhere that Ricci was the first to make a commercial recording of the Bach S&P. Can anyone confirm?

August 6, 2012 at 07:09 PM · Perhaps Ricci's was the first complete set but Szigeti recorded the three Sonatas for Columbia in the 1930's. These were probably the first complete works.

August 6, 2012 at 07:16 PM · I think I'll remember him most for his book on Paganin-shifting!

RIP....

August 6, 2012 at 08:15 PM · Very sad news. I feel very lucky to have been able to spend an afternoon with him in his studio, at his lovely house, and play for him (about 7 years ago). He was a bright talent, and more importantly a really nice person.

August 6, 2012 at 09:14 PM · When his parents first came to the USA from Italy they changed his name as a child to Roger Rich. However by the time he was eight or so and was becoming known as a prodigy his name changed back to Rugerio Ricci.

He told a freind of mine a story that when he visited Heifetz at the time he was teaching and retired from playing, he was offered a glass of whiskey. To Ricci's disappointment Heifetz reached behind the single malts in the drinks cabinet and pulled out a cheap bottle of blended whiskey!!

A sad but inevitable loss. His books are excellent and full of good advice. A great player.

August 6, 2012 at 10:00 PM · he was awesome, one of my favorite violin players. He is a true legend and I hope his name will be as big as he deserves in the future. His recordings are always a garant for highest quality and sooo much passion and feeling for the violin.

August 7, 2012 at 02:20 AM · Wow! He was one of these people that almost seemed immortal! He had one of the greatest techniques and one of the largest repertoires of any violinist, and deserves a place among the legends of our beloved violin.

August 7, 2012 at 10:08 AM · Peter, don't know where you got that name change story from (or how it fits in) but according to Wiki he was born in san fran:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruggiero_Ricci

August 7, 2012 at 11:59 AM · Maybe he's playing duets with Paganini now!

August 7, 2012 at 01:02 PM · Elise, I think I saw an old newspaper cutting on the web from when he was eight, but maybe they called him Roger Rich from the start (having anglicised their surname), and then reverted back to Ricci again.

I'll try and find it with a new search.

August 7, 2012 at 01:06 PM · Elise, here is the link

http://www.ruggieroricci.com/images/achieve.jpg

It's on his website, and the newspaper article calls him Roger Rich, aged 7.

August 7, 2012 at 01:46 PM · "Maybe he's playing duets with Paganini now!"

Presumably Pag is playing second fiddle ...?

August 7, 2012 at 06:17 PM · Such an important figure in the violin world; his influence and relevance is undeniable. I remember listening to some of his Saint-Saens Concerti performances-indeed, the first time I heard the Saint Saens Concerto No. 2, with that amazingly beautiful second movement. He played and recorded so many rare musical gems. Such a long life; I am glad he was able to live all this time for his music. He shall be missed, and always remembered.

August 7, 2012 at 06:46 PM · Beautifully put Adalberto. And I agree about the Saint Saens. I also have Menuhin playing it and that is quite wonderful too.

August 7, 2012 at 07:55 PM · Mr. Ricci was certainly one of the giants in the history of violin playing. I only saw him in person in a few concerts (in the early 1970's), and of course am familiar with his recorded legacy, but it truly feels like a personal loss. I'm sure there will be eloquent eulogies in the coming days and months.

One characteristic (among many) that I adored about his playing was his ability to keep the inner pulse of the music and not to give in to brief tempo changes (either because the passage is technically difficult or because the violinist might want an extra little musical emphasis). I can think of no other violinist at Ricci's level of musical and technical virtuosity who did that routinely - none.

August 8, 2012 at 12:01 AM · Hi,

Another great legend of the violin world has passed... Mr. Ricci gave us so much! Thought about this for a good while thinking of what to say, but could not think of anything other than Thank You Mr. Ricci!

A final cheers to this great artist!

August 8, 2012 at 06:41 AM · A great and unique exponent of the art of violin playing has passed away.

I first heard of maestro Ricci when I heard him play Sarasate's Spanish Dances with his teacher, Louis Persinger, accompanying him. I couldn't believe what I heard then and strived to emulate him vis-a-vis his tone and technique.

August 9, 2012 at 09:26 PM · I heard him at the Smithsonian in 2003--his last public performance in the US. He would have been about 85. The technique was beginning to fray, but the fire was still there.

August 10, 2012 at 07:11 AM · Here's the NY Times obituary:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/10/arts/music/ruggiero-ricci-virtuoso-violinist-dies-at-94.html?ref=music

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe