No Disrespect Intended to Mr. Perlman!

June 8, 2012 at 06:32 PM · Itzhak Perlman Shreds Mendelssohn Violin Concerto

Follow this link I dare you

WARNING: for those who have a good sense of humor only! I will not be responding to complaints.... :-)

Replies (22)

June 8, 2012 at 07:02 PM · What link?

June 8, 2012 at 10:25 PM · C'mon Scott, don't be cruel.

June 8, 2012 at 10:46 PM · Here is the Vivaldi one which I have seen before (amazing)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67IqeB0JLs4

I haven't seen the Mendelssohn one till now... it's even better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m08JOODCI0

June 8, 2012 at 10:47 PM · I think he means this.

June 8, 2012 at 11:11 PM · He's alright, but if I could just play violin like Santana plays guitar. Gives me the tingles.

June 9, 2012 at 01:30 AM · So sorry folks, technical difficulties. I tried editing with the working link, but it didn't take. Smiley got it right, thanks!

June 9, 2012 at 05:49 AM · I have sense of humour failure. There is enough bad playing in the world without messing with a recording. Why is it necessary to poke fun at a violin giant? If the geeks who made this wanted to "create" (I use this word ironically) something really worth laughing at, they should have played this themselves.

Cheers Carlo

June 9, 2012 at 10:34 AM · Actually, they are playing it themselves :-) Just google the danish violinist Rune Toonsgard Sørensen and violist Jens Balslev!

I think it's just HILARIOUSLY done! You can hear the level of the person playing, matching Perlman's movements, with just a touch of oh-my-god-that's-horrible. Amazing! Best part is that Perlman is looking so satisfied throughout the video :-)

June 9, 2012 at 11:34 AM · I agree, it is very funny. And if Mr Perlman saw it, I think he would laugh too. I especially like the harmonics in the Mendelssohn, or shall I say the missed harmonics -- hilarious.

June 9, 2012 at 02:07 PM · How about posting a version of themselves playing it correctly. Would it be good enough played straight? Or would it have the same comedic value? I admit what they have done is very clever but is it right to poke fun at someone in this way.

I feel putting down somebody for entertainment says more about their own character than anything else.

Cheers Carlo

June 9, 2012 at 02:16 PM · I agree, it's hilarious! I agree with Smiley that Perlman would think so too.

June 9, 2012 at 02:18 PM · Its classical satire (excuse pun). Satire only works if you have an extreme to start off with. In this case one could see the joke as actually a sincere homage to Mr Perlman's brilliance.

Look at it this way, it would not have any real impact if Perlman was just so-so.. and then it would be taken as sarcasm (which I am sure it was not intended to be).

Satire can become harmful if there are people who actually believe the gag and are unaware of the reality. But this is rather unlikely here.

[There was a british comedy based on an old man who was a total biggot - so extreme that it was hillarious. However, when reproduced for a German audience it failed miserably and had to be terminated because, probably because the language did not translate well, a significant part of the viewers could not see the satire and actually agreed with the old man's view.]

June 9, 2012 at 02:54 PM · It's a bit Colbert-ian almost...

June 9, 2012 at 03:14 PM · Yes, it strikes me as a bit Colbert-ian too.

June 9, 2012 at 03:59 PM · Carlo said,

"I admit what they have done is very clever but is it right to poke fun at someone in this way."

It's not "right" or "wrong," but satire of the famous and powerful has long been considered fair game, even by the courts (U.S.). Elise explained this well already.

I would bet that if Mr. Perlman seriously objected to this video, it would be gone by now.

The butchering of Great Art has always been considered to be funny by most artists; it gives a fresh, preposterous perspective on it.

June 10, 2012 at 12:33 AM · > I feel putting down somebody for

> entertainment says more about their

> own character than anything else.

I think you miss the point entirely.

At no point are the creators of this satire "putting somebody down." Any reasonably educated musician upon hearing this would recognize it as a hoax instantly. It's hilariously funny precisely because the artists featured are world-renowned and the audio presentation in this manner is obviously fake.

The one of Zukerman discussing great Italian violins then coming in on that opening chord of the G Minor Sonata? I laughed so hard I almost choked.

June 10, 2012 at 06:53 AM · Gene, I will agree on the Zukerman. That one had a great set-up. I gotta disagree on the Perlman, though. There's just no joke there. There are a few really good shreds, and many more where the creators didn't seem to get what makes the good ones really good. Then again, comedy, like music is pretty subjective. The only part I like about the Perlman ones is reading the Youtube comments where the indignation spills out.

Carlo, you put it better than I could below me.

June 10, 2012 at 07:05 AM · I too enjoyed the Zuckermann clip. That was indeed funny.

The Mendelssohn reminded me of a child telling a long winded joke that goes on and on and has no punch line. I couldn't watch the whole thing because the disonances caused me pain. I did dip in and out but nothing new was happening.

Cheers Carlo

June 10, 2012 at 09:19 AM · What's the point of telling the same joke again and again?

June 10, 2012 at 01:25 PM · One also good shred here: :D

June 11, 2012 at 06:22 AM · > I gotta disagree on the Perlman, though.

> There's just no joke there.

Well, the problem with that one is the joke isn't delivered well. That's usually the case with most humor, it depends on effective delivery as well as relevant content.

It would be more amusing for example, to be presenting a video of a concert of Perlman, Zukerman, et. al. to an educated audience, then splicing in a particularly horrendous passage in the middle, and getting a shot of the reaction of the listeners. :)

June 13, 2012 at 03:14 PM ·

How about Heifetz Hisself then? He's doing it himself to entertain the troops. (Out of many, er, "high points," my fave moment is when he manages to vibrato on two fingers that aren't on the fingerboard without moving the fingers that are.)

Click for Heifetz Goodness

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition
ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

AVIVA Young Artist Program

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe