Dizziness from 6-8 hour a day practice

May 23, 2012 at 04:40 AM ·

Replies (63)

May 23, 2012 at 06:02 AM · Hi Katrina, the answer is YES, absolutely see a doctor as soon as you can.

There can be many reasons why you are experiencing this and it is not down to many hours on the violin, it is most certainly 'medical', it can be something simple or something more serious, hopefully something simple, but it does need medical evaluation.

I am not going down the road of saying it could be this or it could be that, only that a doctor will be able to help.

xx

Jo

May 23, 2012 at 07:40 AM · Ditto what Jo said. My only question is why have you not asked a doctor already? Just as in 'you are your own primary teacher' for the violin, 'you are your own primary doctor' in health. Take charge....

Elise

May 23, 2012 at 11:24 AM · Aside from the dizziness, 6-8 hours of violin every day is a lot. I would be concerned about burning out.

May 23, 2012 at 02:18 PM · Yes, see a doctor and have your blood pressure checked among other things.

Do you get enough sleep?

People who have a tendency to faint when they get up from sitting or laying position often have what's called orthostatic hypotension. More common in teenagers. May be caused or aggravated by anemia , sleep deprivation, infrequent meals, lack of fluid intake, low salt intake, some undetected viral or other illness.

If there is no underlying illness it is usually recommended to drink extra amounts of fluids, preferably containing salt like gatorade or V8 which will bring your blood pressure up. Keep snacks around and get enough sleep.

My guess is that you aren't getting near enough sleep if you practice 6 to 8 hours a day besides your regular school program. Aren't you driving yourself too hard? If you would spent even a third of the time but really focused and methodical and get more sleep you might be able to achieve just as much or more . There are several older threads on this site that give good recommendations how to practice more efficiently.

May 23, 2012 at 02:56 PM · Katrina,

Please see a doctor immediately. You cannot assume that your problems are related to your activities on the violin. It could be completely unrelated. The reasons might be simple things like diet, sleep, exercise, and living in a more balanced way, or they could be more complicated problems.

In a separate thread I asked whether one could practice the violin sitting down and the response was primarily negative but I think if you are working for 6-8 hours a day in the standing position you might consider sitting down for practicing anything that will be played sitting down, such as orchestra or chamber parts.

And make sure your mentor understands clearly that your health must come first. If you faint and suffer a head injury ... then what will become of you or your musical career?

May 23, 2012 at 03:45 PM · Thanks everyone, I was expecting more people to have had this problem, so I'm guessing it's not due to practicing at all. That's actually good news, because I can actually fix something medical.

Jo, I'll go to my family doctor and see what's going on.

Elise, Thanks!

John, I've always had this weird fantasy about playing mozart with a string quartet on a merry go round carosel.... Not anymore! I actually don't have nausea or hearing problems.

Smiley, more chance of my fingers falling off first.

Hendrik! Thanks for the information, It really sounds like me. I have chronic anemia, I usually forget to drink or eat, and I'm always exhausted.... I actually had mono last year and an infection called hand foot and mouth disease. I'm actually studying at home this year to make time for my violin. I have to practice this much because I play baroque and modern violin and viola... Soon I start learning piano and viola d'amoure and singing. I'm in 2 orchestras and have a chamber ensemble, so including lessons and rehersals 6 hours is reasonable.

Paul, I think it could be an underlying problem made worse by all the stress. I think I will go back on antibiotics after seeing the doctor. My teachers don't really want to know about my health problems.The advice they gave me was to always stand on a plush carpet if I was dizzy to keep my violin safe, lol ( she loaned it to me)

Thanks everyone,

Katrina

May 23, 2012 at 04:07 PM · "Also, with all due respect to Scott Cole please do not write anything about danger on threads, fake names, parents or trolls."

How about with all due respect to Scott Cole we don't start out writing "will all due respect to Scott Cole" because of past threads?

If you wish to respond to something I write in this thread that's fine, but it's not fair to make assumptions about what I may or may not write, unless I have responded in such a manner on every thread you've started. Which I haven't.

Scott

May 23, 2012 at 04:17 PM · Katrina,

I'm appalled that your teacher cannot be bothered to consider the other problems in your life that are affecting your ability to study the violin. What this means is that they does not have YOUR interests in mind ... they only want the glory of having one of THEIR students going to a famous conservatory and they are willing to risk your health for what they see as THEIR achievement.

Stand on plush carpet to protect their violin? Really? You need to look for a new teacher. Preferably one with a soul.

May 23, 2012 at 05:47 PM · My first thought was that this is just sheer exhaustion from doing too much too long. Having said that I'm 100% with the others that a visit to the doctor is indicated as soon as you can.

As a general "life-style" bit of advice, if someone is involved intensively in some demanding activity for several hours a day it makes sense to take one day a week completely away from that activity to do something completely different so as to give the body and mind a chance to rest and recover. This is particularly important, I've found, for anything involving brain work.

May 23, 2012 at 08:04 PM · You've been falling over for a year.

You're not eating.

Your teacher doesn't care.

And you need to ask an on-line community if you should see a doctor?

Where's your mother?

May 23, 2012 at 08:18 PM · Hi -

You should see a doctor! Also please consider -

Do you really need to do more than 5 hours practice a day? I don't think you do.

Have you heard of the 80/20 principle, it's worth looking at and applying to practice (basically so you really focus on what part of your playing you need to improve). It can really help focus you.

Good luck with everything! Check out this blog I wrote on hours of practice too - 10000 hours blog

May 23, 2012 at 11:58 PM · Katrina,

1st,visit a GP. It's free in Canada, what are you waiting for?:)

Second, find a teacher who cares about you and your health more than her fiddle. I'm serious. She doesn't sound very nice.

Take care and let us know how it goes.

Yixi from BC

May 24, 2012 at 12:35 AM · Eat proper food

Drink water

Sleep for around eight hours or more.

Breathe properly

Walk as much as you can

Don't worry about your playing

Stay upright

That should work

May 24, 2012 at 01:00 AM · Hi all, The point of this thread was to see if any other violinists were suffering from dizziness from playing violin. I was wondering if anyone else had tecniques for dealing with this before bothering my parents or a doctor. I just don't understand why everyone gets so indignant and appalled and disgusted when I write about my problems. My life isn't even that bad.

Just to be clear; my mentor is the kindest anyone has ever been to me, and is like a mother to me. She took me on as a beginner just because I had sound, and a knack for playing. She loves me and teaches me all of her secrets. I would do anything for her, and she did suggest I take a bunch of aspirin and tylenol and continue practicing. Plus, I wouldn't want to kill her violin either... It's probably worth more than her house, and I love it like a baby.

Sorry scott, but you were mean to me on my last thread, and you are always fighting with people. Honestly, who would want my life and troll as me?

Paul I don't see how going to Juilliard or the RCM London would make a difference to her career... Plus I have already decided against Juilliard, it has a high suicide rate, and I want no part in another attempt, or a mental hospital.

Trevor, a week away sounds like a one way ticket to hell.

John, she would never fire me, but thats asking for it.

NA, I've only been falling for a month... My moms been driving me from Ottawa to Montreal every week.

Mat, I've played 10 000 hours and am not a master... I can barely play the last rose of summer

Yixi, I have to spend time and drive to the doctor... I liked your masterclass blog, but typical, glossy, exterior of conservatory life though!

Graham, I won't worry about my playing if you promise not to worry if the world starts ending in 2012.

Cheers, katrina

May 24, 2012 at 01:44 AM · Katrina you did ask - and all I see above is a lot of answers from people who care for a stranger, are taking time to respond and are, admittedly, groping for an answer.

The obvious thing is to talk to a doc - so it could be nothing or curable by time who knows - but just in case it is something you can be reassured.

Now I must go work on my 10K hrs....

May 24, 2012 at 01:47 AM · By all means see a doctor ASAP. I'm not a doctor, and so all that follows is a layman's speculation based on some research and some heresay. All the more reason to see a doctor.

Mild light-headednes or dizzines once in a while is not uncommon. But almost falling over sounds more serious. It could also be not very serious at all or hard to diagnose. It might have to do with a mild inner ear or sinus infection. I have a non-musician friend who has been bothered by light-headenes etc. for the past 10 weeks and has had a battery of medical tests, all showing that she's fine. But her chiropractor thinks it might have to do with her jaw allignment.

This brings us back to the violin. Tell the doctor what you do and what your workload is. Some of the finest players sometimes have tension problems - and it's not always in the hands. It could indeed have something to do with what you might be doing with your neck or jaw. Or maybe in intense moments you're furrowing your brow, or have eye-strain from looking at the music. All this could have an effect.

Finally, it simply sounds like you're working much too hard and are over-stressed. And while I can understand your being very fond of and loyal to your teacher, if all she recommended to you was asprin and tylenol, that concerns me. Please do see a doctor, and try to be ever more aware of tension and stress in your playing and schedule.

May 24, 2012 at 01:49 AM · I wouldn't interpret anyone's comments as being indignant, disgusted, or appalled towards you- I think people are surprised you haven't already seen a doctor, as many people would have with these symptoms. I think many of the comments are trying to express an urgency that you get attention soon, they're not trying to be negative, but expressing concern for your wellbeing in their own way.

Everyone has their own tolerance for bearing troubles, and you seem to have a higher threshold than many- nothing wrong with that, but your health is valuable and it's appropriate to take the best care of it that you can and associate with people who support you in that regard.

Vertigo, etc. may be symptoms of many different problems, some of which may be serious, and those may be treated much easier if detected earlier. Most likely it's nothing but needing some more rest and balance, but why take a chance? Take good care of yourself and you'll play violin much better and a lot longer!! Good luck with it.

May 24, 2012 at 02:01 AM · Katrina, exactly what three above said. Obviously no one shares your unique problem here and this should tell you something. If you really can't see that people here are genuenely worried about your well being and trying to help to a young person calls for help, then that is sad, kiddo!

May 24, 2012 at 04:01 AM · Katrina,

I remember a thread where you implied that Katrina was not in fact your name.

But anyway, whatever was said in the past, I'd appreciate it if you would refrain from mentioning my name at the beginning of a thread. It's unfair to make assumptions when I haven't responded to any of your other posts.

Scott

May 24, 2012 at 05:54 AM · "Katrina":

"I just don't understand why everyone gets so indignant and appalled and disgusted when I write about my problems."

People reacted negatively and made assumptions about your teacher(s) based on your very own words, which don't speak well of your teachers' characters:

"My teachers don't really want to know about my health problems.The advice they gave me was to always stand on a plush carpet if I was dizzy to keep my violin safe, lol ( she loaned it to me)"

"she did suggest I take a bunch of aspirin and tylenol and continue practicing."

Also, take people's concern about overstretching yourself seriously. Right now you should cut down your activities until you get better. Ask your teachers to help you practice more efficiently so you can reduce practice time. If your teachers genuinely care about you, they wouldn't want to see your playing career cut short due to injuries or burnout.

You have received good advice from all the well meaning people here. You asked Dr. Cole not to say anything about "danger on threads" (Yes, I remember "that" thread), so I will be the bad guy and offer the best advice that I could give you:

You must learn how to write in a public forum without revealing too much about yourself, especially aspects (good or bad, real or imagined) that are irrelevant and may become distractions to your topic (assuming your intent was to seek advice), i.e. stick to the point, so you don't have to start a post with "The point of this thread is..." (Déjà vu!) Read and think through your writing before posting, and consider possible consequences, so you won't be surprised by people's reaction. Many young people come back to delete old posts that may reflect negatively on them or simply to protect their privacy after they have grown older and wiser (That's why we see all these ancient threads without new posts pop up all the time), but you never know if their teachers, peers or future employers have already read them... You might not care because, well you know..., but as you have already learned - the "danger" can be right around the corner.

BTW, here is another piece of unsolicited advice: you should stop posting with this name if what you said in another thread is true, because it's not only unethical but illegal!

Finally, I hope you get the medical help that you need ASAP and get better soon!

(I hope this thread ends on a positive note, as people have been so helpful and genuinely caring!)

May 24, 2012 at 10:48 AM · Hi Katarina,

Based on your current answers and original post, here are some things that you could investigate:

1) You mention not eating or drinking regularly. Low blood sugar or dehydration often cause dizziness. No matter how much practice you have to do, eat and drink regularly. If you do a lot of exercise, it is even more important because you metabolism will be higher.

2) Check your blood pressure to see if you have high/low blood pressure. You can do this at almost any pharmacy. Extremes from normal in either direction can cause dizziness. If anything looks abnormal in this regard, see your doctor right away.

3) Your violin setup. Hard to tell about this one without seeing you play one on one, but something in your posture, hand positions, chin rest or support system (SR, pad, or nothing) could be causing muscles tensions that put stress on your spine and be pinching a nerve or something. This will cause dizziness as well. A visit to an osteopath to check and restore balance to your body could help to alleviate tensions in this regard.

4) Adequate rest. By this, I mean both sleep and also breaks during practice sessions. The 50 minute hour so advocated by Pinchas Zukerman is probably one of the best methods. And use a clock literally like you were working. As much as practicing is great, scheduling breaks to give the body a break is important.

5) Do you spend time outdoors? Vitamin D is important for the body to function well. Most people do not spend enough time outdoors and as a result suffer the ill-effects of lack of naturally produced vitamin D. Try to spend at least 30 minutes outdoors every day.

6) Exercise. Most musicians don't exercise enough. Exercise stimulates blood flow and dilates blood vessels. It helps with circulation and helps the body in many ways. If there is one thing that most people could use, this would be it.

Hope that this helps you in your search to find out what is going on.

Cheers!

May 24, 2012 at 11:06 AM · Katrina, I did not advise "one week away"; I said "one day a week" away from playing, which is something I personally aim for. Having said that, on the occasions when I have been on holiday for a week or two without access to a violin (e.g. coastal/hill walking) I have invariably returned refreshed.

May 24, 2012 at 11:29 AM · I nearly fainted two times my life playing violin, one was at a masterclass where I was practicing all day and had a very demanding leson on Khachaturian first movement in the evening. Second time was in a very hot and small room where I practiced with a baroque ensemble, breathing heavily together.

I think Coffee is not good because it pushes you over your limits. Only use it moderately. Same for Coca Cola and sugar. Drink lots of water and in summer always have fresh water with you when rehearsing and practicing.

Make breaks when you feel bad.

Do you have the problems when its hot outside or always? I think, if it is always a problem you should change something and see a doctor, who knows what he's doing (not all do).

Do you really think a pill will help it? I would advise you not to go this way of thinking, because it will lead you to burnout or worse.

Do sports for your heart. Like running f.e. you need a strong heart to stand all day with your arms held higher then your heart. Good posture and stamina is always importand.

This kind of porblems could also have to do with what you eat. After somthing fatty like pommes frites you will have all your energy in your stomach, especially in summer try to eat light food but regularly. Better 5 times moderately a day than two times a lot. Good luck with it

May 24, 2012 at 11:52 AM · @Simon

"I think Coffee is not good because it pushes you over your limits. Only use it moderately. Same for Coca Cola and sugar. Drink lots of water and in summer always have fresh water with you when rehearsing and practicing. "

As a coffee addict, (For the past four months I have drink only coffee) I can tell you that the problem is not that coffee pushes us over our limit, it's that it badly mess up with the most elementary thing of all thing. Sleep.

Apart from that, it's a great painkiller at least for my permanent headaches), and brain booster.

And only some very heavy doses of coffee can do arms, it's not dizziness, it's hallucination.

Still, like smoking, coffee is a legal hard drug. Don't drink coffee!

May 24, 2012 at 12:27 PM · Who was who said, "practice one hour a day if you are good, two hours if you are not so good. If you need to practise more than two then don't learn the violin"

I'm not sure I agree with this, however 6-8 hours is far too much. When I was a student I would practise 4 hours a day. Now I can achieve more in 2 hours than I used to in 4. The best practice is efficient practice.

Cheers Carlo

May 24, 2012 at 12:52 PM · You asked the same question a few weeks ago and already back then, we suggested that you see a doctor right away. We gave quite a few other suggestions. What do you want us to do now?

May 24, 2012 at 03:00 PM · I think the young lady in question is probably having us all on.

As a previous poster has just said, if you need to practise for more than 3 - 4 hours a day you need to find another career, you won't make it as a violinist.

I think you are making this all up, it sounds rather hysterical to me.

May 24, 2012 at 03:48 PM · Peter - along those lines quote (Katrina):

"Mat, I've played 10 000 hours and am not a master... I can barely play the last rose of summer"

Isn't that oft quoted as a candidate as the hardest piece in the repertoire?

I think the young lady needs to sit and chill, she might run out of pieces to play!

May 24, 2012 at 05:02 PM · You need to talk to your mother.

She's the adult and will know what to do, that's in your best interests.

I also have a 17-year old (the youngest of 3)...I'd rather he talked with me first...then he can go ahead and talk/text/post or do whatever he likes for added information or support regarding whatever issue he may be concerned about.

And to answer your question...dizziness can result from any of a myriad of causes. However 'just' practicing is an unlikely cause.

But not eating properly certainly can.

In Katrina's defence on the time she puts in ... while I'm not a professional musican by any means...I play enough to know that if I practice my lesson plan properly, practice my orchestral music properly and practice my ensemble music properly...I could easily spend 6-8 hours a day at it.

However I draw the line at 1.5-2. Work and other life commitments shape that time frame as well.

May 24, 2012 at 05:34 PM · I prefer to believe she is telling the truth as she sees it and she is in serious trouble. Her reaction to our comments indicates to me that we need a doctor and a psychologist here to see what's the best advices to give to this girl.

May 24, 2012 at 06:28 PM · She has had problems and strange ideas on here before, so crying wolf has less of an effect.

Her comments about her repertoir make me think this is all a sham.

Maybe she needs a shrink ...

May 24, 2012 at 08:39 PM · Carlo - I believe that it was Auer who said "practice 3 hours a day if you are any good, 4 if you are a little stupid. And if you need more than 4, take up another profession."

At any rate, I'm also starting to get a vibe of something not quite adding up. Anyway, we've tried...

May 24, 2012 at 10:08 PM · I seem to remember that I was a teenager once, and I was always upset when "grown-ups" (their word!) seemed to take a malicious pleasure in misconstruing my meanings. Having less temperament than Katrina, I just learned to keep my thoughts to myself..

Three hours intelligent practice is quite enough; then add a three-hour rehearsal and a two-hour gig, and there's your eight-hour day. This is not eight hours of practice, it's eight hours total playing time. Not unusual for undergrates.

If teachers can be as cynical as Katrina implies, how come they have anything to do with youngsters?

If their students then love them to bits, they are not just cynical, but dangerously manipulative.

I wish more of my own students would evolve from sulky 13-year-olds into passionate 17-year-olds as Katrina seems to be doing. I find teenagers extremely hard to help, but I never, never judge them (except my own, of course...)

May 24, 2012 at 10:36 PM · "I can tell you that the problem is not that coffee pushes us over our limit, it's that it badly mess up with the most elementary thing of all thing. Sleep.

Apart from that, it's a great painkiller at least for my permanent headaches), and brain booster."

You are absolutely right about the sleep.Stop drinking coffee and give your body a real rest. The first sleep after cutting coffee after addiction is like a baby.

You ever thought of the possibility that the headache may come from deprivation? I always get mysterious headache when I don't drink coffee a day...

Brain booster: YES

But not without side effects..

May 24, 2012 at 11:20 PM · "If their students then love them to bits, they are not just cynical, but dangerously manipulative."

Well said, Adrian! Katrina is a kid and deserves all the protection a civilized society/community can offer.

I think part of urgency we have here probably comes form the sense that the grownups close to Katrina don’t seem to be acting in her best interests. If what Katrina said is true, I’d say there are clear signs of negligence happening there. The fact that she has to defend them just breaks my heart.

May 25, 2012 at 01:47 AM · Hi all, I'm sorry if things here got heated some how ( it seems like a pretty mild topic to get upset about). I went to a walk-in clinic today and spent about 3 hours waiting to see someone. I think the doctor was a bit of a nut... He said I had Chrystal's in my ear that had fallen out. Apparently now I have to go to physiotherapy and have them put back in and go on bed rest for a week. Ill wear ear plugs for my practice so the vibrations don't disturb my ears from now on. I REALLY APPRECIATE THE TIME EVERYONE TOOK TO RESPOND TO MY QUESTION, AND SAY THAT I'M SHOCKED TO SEE HOW MUCH YOU ACTUALLY CARE ABOUT SOME RANDOM KIDS WELLBEING.

Elise, I heard your video and think your a very feelingful player, ever without the 10k

Raphael, Thanks, I'll try to see a chiropractor

Tom, I've always been a man about pain, once I broke a toe and walked home 6 blocks to tell my parents. A high threshold is good for playing violin though!

Yixi, I was trying to remind people that I was writing about a medical issue, not about a teacher. I actually am shocked that people would care about me, they haven't even heard my playing to see if I'm any good.

Sorry Scott, I'll take that down, if you wonder about my name, just google it... I donated kun shoulder rests to a school music program.

Joyce, I don't see how you think what my techer said is bad... I respect her and do exactly what she says all the time.

You deserve an explanation, what happened at my concerts was a complete disaster. There was one really bad person in a university class I was taking( I'm not in university, I pay to take some classes) he and some others sent me some weird texts and came to my gigs... I ended up talking to the police actually. You can understand why I didn't want to admitt I was posting under my actual name. Laurie deleted the thread because of what other people said, not because of anything I wrote.

Sorry John, didn't mean to confuse you, and I don't see how someone would enjoy that. My teacher is harsh, but I could never do anything bad to her because I love her so much. Don't feel bad about me falling, it's not the worst thing in the world!

Christian, I will try those things. I actually played for pinchas once ( I live in ottawa). He's actually really nice and laied back, but has a funny voice!

Trevor, it turns out I have to stop playing for a week anyway.... I'll try what you suggested, though I only play piano, ear training and opera on Sundays anyway.

Simon, I'm not allowed to drink coffee untill I'm an adult. I guess I'll need it in college though!

Carlo, that leavers 1 hour for modern violin, modern viola, baroque violin and baroque viola. Now where does orchestra, chamber music, rehersals and gigs fit into this?

Christian, I never posted anything about health before, perhaps it was someone else.

Peter, as I said before,, baroque and modern instruments are totally different things, they require a different sensitivity. And I am going into violin, and will most probably be very successful.

Elise, it's scary how many kids play the rose... And when I say barely play it, I mean I only have the courage to flip through it and sight play bits for fun, I don't think I'll ever play it like Midori!

Thanks N.A.

Peter, never said its in my repertoire, I said I can barely play it... Really learning all of it would be almost possible If i did nothing but practice it for a year...lol

Hi Adrian, you seen like a wonderful teacher ( from your posts on different threads) I wish I had been your student when I was 13, but I was ever more tempered then.

Yixi, I know my teacher manipulates me, but I don't mind. I think she does it because that's what her teachers did to her when she was young. Its really easy to ask crazy things of your students when you know they will do anything you tell them! Teachers say way worse in private than what I posted. I mean, Juilliard has the highest suicide rate of all colleges in the west! It's no accident. It's not negligence, it's ambition. But my mentor only want the best for me, she is like a mother, and really does care about me.

Thanks for all the time everyone has spent replying, I think this Chrystal problem must happen to violinists more often than to other people because of the head being sideways while playing, and the found vibrations. I do wonder about what I'll do for a week without violin! I hope everyone interprets my personal messages as a form of gratitude to you all for posting.

Cheers,

Katrina

May 25, 2012 at 01:47 AM · Hi all, I'm sorry if things here got heated some how ( it seems like a pretty mild topic to get upset about). I went to a walk-in clinic today and spent about 3 hours waiting to see someone. I think the doctor was a bit of a nut... He said I had Chrystal's in my ear that had fallen out. Apparently now I have to go to physiotherapy and have them put back in and go on bed rest for a week. Ill wear ear plugs for my practice so the vibrations don't disturb my ears from now on. I REALLY APPRECIATE THE TIME EVERYONE TOOK TO RESPOND TO MY QUESTION, AND SAY THAT I'M SHOCKED TO SEE HOW MUCH YOU ACTUALLY CARE ABOUT SOME RANDOM KIDS WELLBEING.

Elise, I heard your video and think your a very feelingful player, ever without the 10k

Raphael, Thanks, I'll try to see a chiropractor

Tom, I've always been a man about pain, once I broke a toe and walked home 6 blocks to tell my parents. A high threshold is good for playing violin though!

Yixi, I was trying to remind people that I was writing about a medical issue, not about a teacher. I actually am shocked that people would care about me, they haven't even heard my playing to see if I'm any good.

Sorry Scott, I'll take that down, if you wonder about my name, just google it... I donated kun shoulder rests to a school music program.

Joyce, I don't see how you think what my techer said is bad... I respect her and do exactly what she says all the time.

You deserve an explanation, what happened at my concerts was a complete disaster. There was one really bad person in a university class I was taking( I'm not in university, I pay to take some classes) he and some others sent me some weird texts and came to my gigs... I ended up talking to the police actually. You can understand why I didn't want to admitt I was posting under my actual name. Laurie deleted the thread because of what other people said, not because of anything I wrote.

Sorry John, didn't mean to confuse you, and I don't see how someone would enjoy that. My teacher is harsh, but I could never do anything bad to her because I love her so much. Don't feel bad about me falling, it's not the worst thing in the world!

Christian, I will try those things. I actually played for pinchas once ( I live in ottawa). He's actually really nice and laied back, but has a funny voice!

Trevor, it turns out I have to stop playing for a week anyway.... I'll try what you suggested, though I only play piano, ear training and opera on Sundays anyway.

Simon, I'm not allowed to drink coffee untill I'm an adult. I guess I'll need it in college though!

Carlo, that leavers 1 hour for modern violin, modern viola, baroque violin and baroque viola. Now where does orchestra, chamber music, rehersals and gigs fit into this?

Christian, I never posted anything about health before, perhaps it was someone else.

Peter, as I said before,, baroque and modern instruments are totally different things, they require a different sensitivity. And I am going into violin, and will most probably be very successful.

Elise, it's scary how many kids play the rose... And when I say barely play it, I mean I only have the courage to flip through it and sight play bits for fun, I don't think I'll ever play it like Midori!

Thanks N.A.

Peter, never said its in my repertoire, I said I can barely play it... Really learning all of it would be almost possible If i did nothing but practice it for a year...lol

Hi Adrian, you seen like a wonderful teacher ( from your posts on different threads) I wish I had been your student when I was 13, but I was ever more tempered then.

Yixi, I know my teacher manipulates me, but I don't mind. I think she does it because that's what her teachers did to her when she was young. Its really easy to ask crazy things of your students when you know they will do anything you tell them! Teachers say way worse in private than what I posted. I mean, Juilliard has the highest suicide rate of all colleges in the west! It's no accident. It's not negligence, it's ambition. But my mentor only want the best for me, she is like a mother, and really does care about me.

Thanks for all the time everyone has spent replying, I think this Chrystal problem must happen to violinists more often than to other people because of the head being sideways while playing, and the found vibrations. I do wonder about what I'll do for a week without violin! I hope everyone interprets my personal messages as a form of gratitude to you all for posting.

Cheers,

Katrina

May 25, 2012 at 02:54 AM · Katrina, my dear, what a relief to hear that it was only the Chrystal and not something worse! I have a colleague recently experienced the same condition and is a lot better now after a couple of months' physio. In his case, he didn't fall but was dizzy and nausea. The first doctor he went to see almost made him to do a brain scan but as he was waiting, another doctor took him over and gave him this diagnose.

Any way, take care and get better soon.

Yixi

May 25, 2012 at 03:34 AM · Hugs Katrina - and thanks for the complement, you made my day :)

May 25, 2012 at 06:23 AM · Hi, and apologies for not reading through this very long thread -- if this has already been answered. Standing without moving significantly for long periods can cause the blood to pool in your legs. I was in the Air Force Honor Guard as a youth, and I saw a lot of people go down -- standing still for even 15 or 20 minutes would cause some people to pass out. At least you're not carrying a sword or rifle!

- Don't lock your knees.

- Take 5-10 minutes of each hour to walk around and get your blood moving.

May 25, 2012 at 12:21 PM · Katrina, I'm glad the problem has been identified and sorted. I was unfamiliar with this condition so I looked it up here.

Incidentally, in the course of tracking it down I had the good fortune to find a downloadable PDF of Chrystal's Algebra - a standard work in mathematics. I owned a copy many years ago, but it got "borrowed" and I've never seen it or the borrower since.

May 25, 2012 at 12:31 PM · Algebra could easily make me dizzy! But seriously, what are ear chrystals? Never heard of this.

May 25, 2012 at 12:55 PM · Raphael, it's described well in the link in my previous post.

May 25, 2012 at 02:22 PM · I did not know anything about "Chrystals" inside the ear, and as I teach inorganic chemistry, I was very curious. A quick Google search turned up this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benign_paroxysmal_positional_vertigo

May 25, 2012 at 03:39 PM · Katrina , I am touched! You are now my favourite stroppy teenager! (Apart from my own, of course..)

Keep us all posted, especially when things go well for you!

May 25, 2012 at 05:24 PM · OK - loooked it up. Interesting.

May 25, 2012 at 05:56 PM · BPPN, very interesting. I also have that, however it does not seriously affect me when standing. I used to like working on cars, however doing so caused me to get into different positions which caused nausea.

When I am in a situation where I have to 'challenge' it, I found that anti-seasickness medication works well to alleviate the symptoms.

NOTE: Dramamine is most common, but has more active 'effects', which may not all be desired (dry mouth, restlessness, etc.).

Meclizine is in the same category, but tends to be a bit more gentle for side effects.

May 25, 2012 at 06:30 PM · I had not posted any reviews, but was following the story, hoping for a happy ending that herons God has arrived!

We're all so happy to have this divine instrument to move part of life at his side. I'm glad you Katrina!

May 25, 2012 at 06:53 PM · Katrina, I'm glad that you have the root cause of your physical issue figured out, but this sentence concerns me:

"I think this Chrystal problem must happen to violinists more often than to other people because of the head being sideways while playing"

Your head should not be sideways when holding the violin. Please work with your teacher to correct your posture, especially if you are playing as many hours as you claimed. If she cannot help you, take some lessons from another teacher who can.

Also, I think Yixi's and Peter's advice that you need to consult with a mental health professional is spot on (Myself and several other posters have made that recommendation in the past).

May 25, 2012 at 09:48 PM · Well,I guess we can all benefit from consulting a good shrink some time in our life:)

May 25, 2012 at 10:26 PM · Joyce, Thank you for your advice. I think I'm starting to understand how writing here works, I agree with what Adrian said.

I seem to remember that I was a teenager once, and I was always upset when "grown-ups" (their word!) seemed to take a malicious pleasure in misconstruing my meanings. Having less temperament than Katrina, I just learned to keep my thoughts to myself..

As for my posture, Pinchas Zukerman liked it very much when I played a masterclass for him at the National Arts Center summer music intensive. I suppose since he can't help me I'll take your excellent advice and find someone who can. Perhaps I'll give old Jascha Heifetz a call... He is my great grand teacher after all.

May 26, 2012 at 04:29 AM · Well, I can only say: I've tried...

May 26, 2012 at 07:37 AM · Hi Katrina, I just wanted to say I'm also glad you aren't suffering anything serious. My friend recently had treatment for dislodged ear crystals and it worked for her. It started when she bumped her head slipping down in the back yard. She was always dizzy, especially if she turned her head quickly. The physio apparently moved her head around in different positions, quickly and slowly, to realign the crystals. Then she had to sleep sitting up in a lounge chair for two nights so the crystals would stay put. Now she is fine and it has stayed that way for a year. I'm mentioning it because not a lot of people have heard about it, but it really does exist, much to my surprise.

Don't worry about the various reactions to your posts. Just think about it as being part of one big noisy family, there will be the believers and there will be the skeptics. In most families people will say what they think then and there and will say it as they see it. Sometimes it's a good thing, at least they are being honest and they do mean well. Good luck with your treatment.

May 26, 2012 at 07:56 AM · I once averaged twelve hours a day. Of course, every hour had a half hour break in between to prevent fatigue. Now I practice much less than that and try to be more efficient. If you're doing a full six to eight hours without a break, chances are you're severely inhibiting your learning. Practice makes permanent, not perfection.

My university professor somehow knew I was overshooting hours and had to tell me to cut it out. She limited me to two to three hours at most. I also had to unlearn many poor habits. My guess though, is that the dizziness is just mental fatigue. If you've ever got mentally fatigued out from just reading a book for a few hours, it's because your brain isn't used to it. It's something I believe all students have experienced with studies like maths or sciences.

Practicing violin or anything for that many hours, takes some time to get used to just like the maths and sciences. I didn't immediately jump to twelve hours myself, I kept slowly increasing my practice hours.

May 29, 2012 at 01:38 AM · John,

I believe the topic may have fainted and fallen over,

anemia is a very serious thing and if one already knows about it then attention to eating and drinking is as central to violin practice as scales

incidentally if it is b12 anemia then it directly relates to myolin development so it is central to you learning playing ability. That should provide even mor emotivation to take care mod yourself.

get well

buri

ps mental health specialists are very useful and important people in the modern world.

wish I had one one tap

May 29, 2012 at 01:38 AM · John,

I believe the topic may have fainted and fallen over,

anemia is a very serious thing and if one already knows about it then attention to eating and drinking is as central to violin practice as scales

incidentally if it is b12 anemia then it directly relates to myolin development so it is central to you learning playing ability. That should provide even mor emotivation to take care mod yourself.

get well

buri

ps mental health specialists are very useful and important people in the modern world.

wish I had one one tap

June 2, 2012 at 04:52 PM · John, I suspect that there is no reaction because other posters sensed somthing that I did - the OP's focus was on the school rather than the suicide rate... Speaking of the school, here is a little tongue-in-cheek rub from the Violin Channel (Hope Juilliard students and alumni can take the joke.):

June 2, 2012 at 04:59 PM · Did anyone notice that Curtis students among the latest Queen Elizabeth Competion finalists are distortiontely high?

June 2, 2012 at 05:09 PM · Yes, Curtis: 5, NEC: 3, Juilliard: 1

June 2, 2012 at 08:25 PM · Curtis and Jacobs are great schools, Julliard is more of an option for me though. I would have a better chance of getting in there, since I would master in early music and my mentor is a collegue of Monica Huggett. I would rather attend a music school in London (RCM, RAM) but the thought of paying pounds for everything makes me cringe. I would also have a harder time getting in as a Canadian. I believe the suicide rates in Europe are much lower than the US, but this isn't a good reason to choose one school over another! Some people have good experiences, some have bad ones at the same school. I have a friend who tried to throw herself off the roof of the holiday inn, because her prof told her she had no talent! Regardless of the school, bad things happen.

July 19, 2016 at 03:25 PM · Hi Katrina. Did you change your name? What are you up to these days?

July 21, 2016 at 02:24 PM · Just found this thread.

Even though the discussion is from a few years ago, and even though somebody may have mentioned this already (I didn't see it when I scanned through the responses), the dizziness and balance problem one can get from the "crystals" in the brain getting loose is Benign Positional Vertigo. I got it for the first time last year, and it certainly could not have been caused by playing the violin (which I have been doing, albeit as an amateur, for over 60 years). The cure, for me, was not medication, but physical therapy.

So, indeed, if anyone out there is getting any sort of dizziness or loss of balance for any apparent reason, get it evaluated medically as soon as possible. This is nothing to take for granted or think that you can pinpoint the cause by introspecting about it. If a doctor thinks its nothing to worry about, that's what you want to hear.

Cheers,

Sandy

July 21, 2016 at 02:46 PM · My mother had this vertigo off and on as she got older. She woukd get dizzy and sometimes could not even walk without being guided as it affected her balance. She woukd go our family doctor who was an osteopath and he would twist her head around in circles and she would experience relief from this ailment for a while and then it woukd recur off and on the rest of her life. It was the first time that I had ever heard of crystals in ear.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe