Crystal Mutes

May 8, 2012 at 02:13 PM · Has anyone on v.com bought one of those crystal encrusted mutes? And why????

Replies (26)

May 8, 2012 at 03:19 PM · These?

http://www.etsy.com/listing/73198865/violin-swarorvski-crystal-birthstone?ref=v1_other_1

I had to go look. Pretty. Should work (might not stand up to heavy-duty use though...or the crystals might pop off). If you'd like one...go ahead and treat yourself.

May 8, 2012 at 03:55 PM · Shame on you Carlo! Those are for girls. LOL

I also wouldn't want to drop one on my violin.

May 8, 2012 at 04:19 PM · @David. I didn't want one. Honest!!!

But I am curious who would buy one. They seem to be advertised everywhere so someone must be buying them. Aimed at girls?

Cheers Carlo

May 8, 2012 at 04:22 PM · $30? LOL why??? You could buy a mute, glue and crystals and make one yourself for less than that. If you already have some glue and a spare mute, even less.

May 8, 2012 at 04:32 PM · "Aimed at girls?"

Or maybe Liberace.

May 8, 2012 at 04:34 PM · I'm a girl and I wouldn't buy one.

But I wonder if all those crystals might affect the muting quality, since the mute wouldn't allow vibrations as well with all the crystals glued to it.

May 8, 2012 at 04:42 PM · I have 2 of these :') Theyre very light and flexible. I don't use them in concerts though, or even orchestral rehearsals because its hard to put it on quickly without worrying about pushing too hard and a crystal falling off or something. Nice for a cute quirky bit of decoration when i have no concerts or orchestral rehearsals around though!

May 8, 2012 at 04:43 PM · I'm not a girly-girl...but I think they're cute. And if you need a gift for a youngster (or even a mature lover of bling)...why not?

Any less-than-perfect muting ability they might have would be so miniscule no one would notice...

Although $30 is a bit steep for an item that likes to get lost...

May 8, 2012 at 04:47 PM · I bought one :) the plain crystal type and I always use it, though I don't go to orchestra anymore....

it works just the same as the ordinary tourte mute, well it is a 'tourte' mute with the crystals on.

I've had it for a while and the crystal have not come off, I don't think they'd come off too easily to be honest.

I bought it as it gives off a few sparkles if light shines onto it and creates a nice 'light effect' ;) LOL

May 8, 2012 at 04:54 PM · I thought they were pretty hilarious, and would have bought them for my whole viola section if they hadn't been so pricy.

May 8, 2012 at 10:25 PM · I'm holding out for a mute with blinking LEDs.

May 9, 2012 at 01:02 AM · If a mute was stamped "Harley Davidson", or "John Deere", that might be OK too.

May 9, 2012 at 10:09 AM · Only the Harley Davidson mute would make the violin louder, with a distinctive growl ;-)

May 9, 2012 at 02:00 PM · @Lisa. You could make them yourself. £1 mute with 50p of crystals and bit of glue.

@David. Don't suggest the LED mute. That will come on the market only too soon. Or maybe carbon bows with LEDs down the shaft...

I'd go for the original "Old Italian Mute" for that authentic Italian tone. Did the Stradivari workshop make mutes? Or is the Guarnieri model better? Are there modern mutes that are comparable to the original?

Cheers Carlo

May 9, 2012 at 02:18 PM · "Only the Harley Davidson mute would make the violin louder, with a distinctive growl ;-)"

And it might make the owner want to get tattoos, and play without a helmet.

May 10, 2012 at 05:47 AM · They are shiny and fun. :) Some friends of mine have been givIng them to each other as presents, a few friends have made them. Why not? A mute is one of the few accessories we have that is fairly cheap and indestructible!

May 10, 2012 at 06:33 AM · I'm waiting for a Hello Kitty mute. Come on Sanrio, think of the market here! :P

May 11, 2012 at 01:05 AM · There needs to be LED bows. I'm waiting for them.

Especially after the cello guys star wars clip. :)

May 11, 2012 at 01:48 AM · Yes. It was a holiday present to myself, and it's "fire" with various shades of red and I LOVE it. The crystals are high quality, and it's terrific! My violin is elegant and understated, and my mute is total bling!

July 16, 2012 at 03:52 AM · I want to order a crystally whittier tailpiece and some crystally pegs to go with it. I just wonder if the sound would suffer?

July 17, 2012 at 03:37 PM · WAAAAAAAY too much Bling for my taste!!

August 11, 2012 at 11:43 AM · "I'm waiting for a Hello Kitty mute. Come on Sanrio, think of the market here! :P"

I WOULD BUY 100!!

August 11, 2012 at 04:32 PM · Crystal Mutes ???

I LOVE her work !!!

September 19, 2012 at 04:37 AM · I made my own SWAROWSKI mutes and give them to my friends $40 are you kidding me??? mine are just as good and I use the same products as her

May 7, 2013 at 02:24 PM · What kind of glue would you use to get them to stay on?

May 9, 2013 at 02:25 AM · I have one; it's actually a pretty good mute. I bought it because a student gave me a gift card to the local violin shop and I didn't want to use the gift card on necessities that I write off on my taxes. I wouldn't use the mute for classical concerts but it's fun for the occasional pops gig, and my younger students like it.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe