Staying hydrated during practice

April 18, 2012 at 04:17 PM · I prefer pabst because the gas station down the street has a good deal on a 6-pack of pints. What do you guys like to drink while practicing?

Replies (23)

April 19, 2012 at 12:16 AM · 10 hours practice a day is most unlikely scenario for me (and most others, I imagine), but since you ask, after about an hour of playing I find a black coffee (no sugar) very acceptable.

April 19, 2012 at 01:10 AM · I always keep a water bottle next to my chair when ever I practice so that if I get thirsty I can take a sip.

April 19, 2012 at 02:54 AM · I like black coffee, but I do occasionally loosen up and drink some seltzer water.

April 19, 2012 at 03:02 AM · If I were practicing that long I'd be drinking Gin with painkillers.

April 19, 2012 at 03:02 AM · Canadian whiskey. Sometimes, my practice sessions get really long, and I'm on a budget.

April 19, 2012 at 03:28 AM · How does beer ,coffee and alcohol hydrate anyone? I take a salmon oil pill and a large glass of almond milk, or pineapple juice to protect the ears. Coffee and alcohol is also hard on the hearing.

April 19, 2012 at 03:28 AM · I like Ray and Emily's suggestions. I'd probably have a Vodka Martini, shaken, not stirred. :D

April 19, 2012 at 03:45 AM · Redbull

April 19, 2012 at 04:26 AM · For me it is water-only. When I concentrate really hard on playing the violin, I find myself drinking about one liter per hour. Afterwards I tend to get very hungry too... I could have been working out and it would not make any difference.

As coffee and alcohol is pretty much unhealthy and makes me play worse, I certainly do not drink that before practicing. But after ten full hours I might need a drink too, I never actually tried that...

April 19, 2012 at 06:16 AM · I think a martini break on the hour, every hour, should do it, unless you can't concentrate that long and you get thirsty again. Then you should take a martini break every half hour. I prefer Grey Goose, dirty.

April 19, 2012 at 06:51 AM · I'm with Michael - sugar-free Red Bull.

But I've never practiced 10 hrs a day and certainly never intend to...what's wrong with 2.5-3.5/day? :)

April 19, 2012 at 07:53 AM · You can't fit enough alcohol into 2.5-3.5 hours.

April 19, 2012 at 08:03 AM · Next time you're out here Emily, martinis are on me :)

April 19, 2012 at 11:02 AM · I'll second Trevor's and Patrick's recommendations. Coffee (with a little milk), and sometimes mineral water, preferably sparkling.

April 19, 2012 at 11:53 AM · If I regularly practiced 10 hours a day, I'd be very tempted by a nice tall glass of hemlock!

April 19, 2012 at 06:04 PM · What in the world are you working on that requires 10 hours of practice per day???? Do you find that practicing for that long is actually productive? I think after that amount of time I'd say, "Forget the drink -- I'm gonna just go drown myself in the river!!!" I REALLY love practicing and playing, but after somewhere between two and three hours I feel like I've stopped accomplishing much.

April 20, 2012 at 03:09 PM · **Head-slap to myself** After re-reading Joe's original post, I think I must have been asleep the first time through. Guess it's time to go dust off my diploma from the Chester Hunnyhugger School for the Terminally Gullible! :D

April 21, 2012 at 04:19 PM · Maybe this thread will provide answers..

April 21, 2012 at 04:23 PM · Homebrew.

If I actually need to accomplish something? Homemade sugar free iced tea.

April 25, 2012 at 01:14 PM · I usually advise students to take breaks more often and drink mineral water. Way healthier than coffee or energy drinks.

April 25, 2012 at 01:29 PM · Depends on what I'm practicing...;)

April 25, 2012 at 03:35 PM · I think someone's having a little fun with us here. Fortunately, Emily is too. : )

And Millie, you beat me to the punch. He never specified WHAT he was practicing for those ten hours. I'm thinking navel-gazing, or coming up with new jokes for V.commers.

April 25, 2012 at 03:36 PM · Since I'm in the middle of a long heavy day with no let-up and with orchestra rehearsal this evening, I've just taken the plunge and invested in a large can of Red Bull. Michael, you may have hit on the answer. But I've never practised ten hours a day; I'd imagine that doing so might be the preserve of conservatory students who are either struggling to make the grade or dead set on hitting the heights.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe